Public Reminded to Wait Until June 9 Before Growing Cannabis at Home

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The minister reiterated his policy to promote cannabis as a cash crop as a way for people to generate income. He also noted that, in addition to medicinal uses, all parts of the cannabis plant can be used in cooking.

I wonder if a new Laeb will be on the menu soon?

1 hour ago, IAMHERE said:

The laws were a total waste and the Thai's want to waste till the bitter end. Sometimes I just don't get the Thai thought process. The futile death of the last man killed on the western front comes to mind.

You couldn't wait  Could you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The Ministry of Public Health is meanwhile reminding people that growing cannabis at home will only be permitted from June 9 onward.

...under provisions yet to be announced, but which in draft form call for registration BEFORE growing.

The registration process has yet to be detailed but is expected to involve many, many, many ministries, agencies, local administration and police. Those who plant without asking for permission, will be sentenced to imprisonment of up to 3 years or a fine of up to 300,000 or both imprisonment and fine. Registration fee is not specified yet. "Flowers", or any bit with a THC content of greater than 0.2% can only be grown for sale to the GPO or other approved "medical" entity.

I've seen, and posted, some of the draft ministerial regulations, and - it should come as no surprise - the rules and regulations are quite involved, and anyone who was expecting full legalization on 9 June 2022 will be disappointed.

Why they're doing this, in this manner, is beyond me. Just when I thought I understood most things thai, they throw a curveball, most surprisingly when they don't have to.

Ministerial Regulations for Permission and Permission to Manufacture, Import, Export, Sell or Have in Possession of Narcotics of Category V, Only Marijuana, B.E.

MR_summarizeCannabis261164V3.pdf

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, TooBigToFit said:

Is there any place to buy seeds? How can people grow it without someone already growing it providing the seeds or plant seedlings..

Yes.

Seeds, of any type, kind, source, are surprisingly legal, at least until 9 June. This loophole has been in place for a long time, and is related to "bird food" I've been led to believe. I think this loophole will be closed. You could probably still source higher quality seeds via the illegal grey market.

So people have been able to legally source seeds, either domestically or from abroad. Advertised openly on FB. CBD-dominant plants/seedlings are a result of imported seeds as there are no high CBD "local" strains. 

I think the home-grow plan is to provide approved seedlings and/or seeds? At least that's what I've seen mentioned in articles recently.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

They'll still be throwing people in jail after June 9th as cannabis cultivation for the average Thai citizen is an obfuscated mess where even the police will not understand the laws regarding cannabis cultivation.  About the only thing I'm sure of is that multiple lives will be ruined when Thai citizens think they can grow cannabis after June 9th but end up arrested, fined and thrown in prison anyway due to non-disclaimed legal technicalities.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, rickudon said:

June the 9th? Oops, better tell some of the in-laws to stop - first crop already harvested...........

I think (know)a lot of Thai people have been growing it for a very long time,generations even.

Leave it to governments to turn a good plant into something illegal.