cosmetic surgery eg facelift : where in Thailand?

gejohesch

My wife (Thai) is 48 years old. She is still very good looking and far from being in urgent need of rejuvenating her looks, but gradually the years start showing. Lots of wrinkles around the eyes; just a hint of double chin showing at times. I have promised her to pay for cosmetic surgery. I imagine it would be sthg like a face and chin lift. We are not interested at all in changing the shape of the eyes or nose (I cannot understand that craze so many Asians have to get western looking features). 

The problem is that one gets totally lost with the number of sites advertising on the web, and all of them claiming to be top of the notch etc. But I know from experience that the reality is often not as good as what is being claimed. Thailand is world-class when it comes to presenting a good face on whatever you want.

So, I would be very grateful if some of you with direct, tangible experience, would share their views and recommendations. I would think of getting it done in Bangkok, a priori, but would not entirely rule out Khon Kaen. I appreciate that good surgery is likely to be expensive but better pay the price and get sthg good done! 

• Like 1

Unless you pay tip dollar at one of the expensive big names like Bumrungrad, I wouldn't trust any local clinic. All too often patients come out looking worse than before. I've seen it myself several times (double eyelid job,  nose job,  etc.)  

• Thanks 1

Before resorting to a face lift at a comparatively young age I suggest she first try botox (for the wrinkles) and a thread lift and/or filler.

Also double chin is usually due to being overweight  and will resolve with a little weight loss. 

Face lift (which is both costly and highly invasive)  seems an extreme move at her age. Botox, fillers and (if these aren't enough) thread lift can accomplish a lot. Do the botox first.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, John Bird said:

Unless you pay tip dollar at one of the expensive big names like Bumrungrad, I wouldn't trust any local clinic. All too often patients come out looking worse than before. I've seen it myself several times (double eyelid job,  nose job,  etc.)  

That's what I feel too, hence if ever we went ahead with any surgery (but I'm reading the words of caution from others here too), it would not be any of the cheapos advertised everywhere. 

There is also sthg which I feel looks like is common in Thailand : a lot of efforts in advertising, nice buildings, alluring nurses with spick and span uniforms .... and most likely pushing you for as expensive a package as possible, quick service and out, thanks for the cash!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Before resorting to a face lift at a comparatively young age I suggest she first try botox (for the wrinkles) and a thread lift and/or filler.

Also double chin is usually due to being overweight  and will resolve with a little weight loss. 

Face lift (which is both costly and highly invasive)  seems an extreme move at her age. Botox, fillers and (if these aren't enough) thread lift can accomplish a lot. Do the botox first.

Thanks. I read loud and clear. What you say makes enough sense to me. So botox seems to be the basic solution. But has to be done quite regularly, no?

Also, I read that threads treatment would only be effective for 1 to 3 years (quoting by memory).

Any recommendation where to go for threads?

About the double chin, as I mentioned it's only just a hint, you know when someone lowers the head looking downwards. My wife is definitely not overweight.

Close to where I live, there is a beauty clinic.
Always packed.
Young girls sitting there. Using already Botox etc. For what? At that age?

Many hate farangs but want to look like them or copy the Japanese or Koreans.
White is goo, whiter is better.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gejohesch said:

Thanks. I read loud and clear. What you say makes enough sense to me. So botox seems to be the basic solution. But has to be done quite regularly, no?

Also, I read that threads treatment would only be effective for 1 to 3 years (quoting by memory).

Any recommendation where to go for threads?

About the double chin, as I mentioned it's only just a hint, you know when someone lowers the head looking downwards. My wife is definitely not overweight.

Botox lasts 3-6 months. Usually lasts longer after you have done it a few times.

Facelift wouldn't do much for fine lines anyhow.

Yes, threads last 1-3 years but do not involve invasive surgery. However she might not need them, most women her age wouldn't. Thread lift is for when you start to see sagging jowls.

Usual procedure would be to start with botox and maybe fillers. Botox will address fine lines. Fillers can get deeper lines and add volume. These too have to be repeated at intervals but also do not require surgery.

17 hours ago, Will B Good said:

even small cosmetic changes alter 'who you are'.

Cosmetics cannot change your personality, intellect, or demeanor.  Cosmetics can only change your personal perception about how you look I would hypothesize  ????

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Cosmetics cannot change your personality, intellect, or demeanor.  Cosmetics can only change your personal perception about how you look I would hypothesize  ????

If it did I would seriously start saving up for the wife.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

It changes how people see you and treat you. Same with men who wear wigs, you know that mentally they are not good

I have explained to my GF that any cosmetic surgery is the end of the relationship. So far so good...

That said, if you are forced to move forward, I would highly recommend Dr. Chartchai at Samitivej hospital. His work is exceptional. So much so that women fly here from Australia for his work.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dante99 said:

If they can, many Thais go to Switzerland for that stuff.

Funny because many Swiss I knew when I worked there went to Brazil for it.

I think in Brazil it's actually expected.

22 hours ago, Sheryl said:

At a certain age, for some people it's not double chin from fat...and it's not a sagging jaw line.  I'm not sure how to describe it...but when people get it done, it gives them that defined jaw again.

My friend in US had it done.  He was 10% body fat, and his jaw did that.  He owned the cosmetic surgery clinic and used himself as an example.  Whatever procedure he used definitely worked.  (It was non-invasive).

OP.  Look up Micro facelift or mini facelift, and also "Foxy Eyes", or regular eye lift".  It sounds like what you want.  And  many people happy with it for just under 10 years (I've heard).

no doctors to recommend.  But interested to hear what people say here.

Edited by Dart12

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Botox lasts 3-6 months. Usually lasts longer after you have done it a few times.

Facelift wouldn't do much for fine lines anyhow.

Yes, threads last 1-3 years but do not involve invasive surgery. However she might not need them, most women her age wouldn't. Thread lift is for when you start to see sagging jowls.

Usual procedure would be to start with botox and maybe fillers. Botox will address fine lines. Fillers can get deeper lines and add volume. These too have to be repeated at intervals but also do not require surgery.

Thanks, sounds like you know what you're talking about. What exactly are "fillers"?

6 hours ago, timendres said:

I have explained to my GF that any cosmetic surgery is the end of the relationship. So far so good...

That said, if you are forced to move forward, I would highly recommend Dr. Chartchai at Samitivej hospital. His work is exceptional. So much so that women fly here from Australia for his work.

Thanks for the recommendation.

4 hours ago, Dart12 said:

At a certain age, for some people it's not double chin from fat...and it's not a sagging jaw line.  I'm not sure how to describe it...but when people get it done, it gives them that defined jaw again.

My friend in US had it done.  He was 10% body fat, and his jaw did that.  He owned the cosmetic surgery clinic and used himself as an example.  Whatever procedure he used definitely worked.  (It was non-invasive).

OP.  Look up Micro facelift or mini facelift, and also "Foxy Eyes", or regular eye lift".  It sounds like what you want.  And  many people happy with it for just under 10 years (I've heard).

no doctors to recommend.  But interested to hear what people say here.

Thanks. Makes me thinking.

• Like 1

Rule #1: references! You must get a hint from trusted person who went to exact doctor. 

Rule #2: its a doctor, not a clinic, who does plastic surgery, and in general you can encounter a genius and retarded student in the same clinic/hospital. Example - Bumrungrad, Chula, Rama IX.

Rule #3: failure will devastate her. Successful surgery will turn her into addict. A doctor I used to work with was so good that he intentionally overcharged some crazy thai women who begged "please do something else, doctor!" 

A great doctor, I hope he is still practicing.

My advise: talk her out of it. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, NativeBob said:

Rule #1: references! You must get a hint from trusted person who went to exact doctor. 

Rule #2: its a doctor, not a clinic, who does plastic surgery, and in general you can encounter a genius and retarded student in the same clinic/hospital. Example - Bumrungrad, Chula, Rama IX.

Rule #3: failure will devastate her. Successful surgery will turn her into addict. A doctor I used to work with was so good that he intentionally overcharged some crazy thai women who begged "please do something else, doctor!" 

A great doctor, I hope he is still practicing.

My advise: talk her out of it. 

"My advise: talk her out of it. "

I have .... partly. We agreed to fall back on threaders + botox (I'm still not clear what other "fillers" might be, sounds like the stuff I'm using to repair walls before painting!).

On 3/28/2022 at 6:35 PM, scubascuba3 said:

I started watching a Mickey Rourke movie yesterday, The Commando, my god he looks terrible after numerous plastic surgeries. Looks like a mask now

Screenshot_2022-03-28-18-33-56-014_com.android.chrome~2.jpg

Mickey Rourke really messed up his face due to his boxing career, in fact leaving acting for a time to be a professional boxer.  Acting and boxing aren't really compatible careers and he has used plastic surgery to try to correct the abuses from boxing.  He is hardly a typical example of the results of cosmetic surgery.

8 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Mickey Rourke really messed up his face due to his boxing career, in fact leaving acting for a time to be a professional boxer.  Acting and boxing aren't really compatible careers and he has used plastic surgery to try to correct the abuses from boxing.  He is hardly a typical example of the results of cosmetic surgery.

That's not correct, no way boxing does that, he's a typical example of someone addicted to plastic surgery and it looks ridiculous, most of us can spot them very easily

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

That's not correct, no way boxing does that, he's a typical example of someone addicted to plastic surgery and it looks ridiculous, most of us can spot them very easily

The only one that seems to have come through cosmetic surgery quite well....I thought.....was Jane Fonda......most of the rest look like disasters.

4 hours ago, gejohesch said:

"My advise: talk her out of it. "

I have .... partly. We agreed to fall back on threaders + botox (I'm still not clear what other "fillers" might be, sounds like the stuff I'm using to repair walls before painting!).

That doctor I mentioned told me scary stories like girl coming to his clinic with a nose in the bag on ice, boobs hardened due to low quality silicon, second hand implants from crematorium etc. Basically anyone can open "plastic beauty parlor" in Thailand and reap helluva money. Not worth to risk life. 

• Like 1