Spending habits over the years. Young, middle aged to older. Changes?

Grecian

37 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I used to be permanently in debt till 35 when I cut up my credit card and never in debt since. Gotta watch out for those <deleted> bankers that keep increasing debt allowance even without being asked.

Changes in spending- used to be mostly on women, now nothing at all on women.

Bought much sugary food, but almost none now.

If one doesn't womanise, smoke or drink alcohol one can almost survive on the old age pension.

Nana and soi 7 are not good for the bank balance that's for sure....555

• Thanks 1

Just now, Will B Good said:

Nana and soi 7 are not good for the bank balance that's for sure....555

Indeed, but I used to work in Saudi, so was rolling in cash. I had one holiday of 6 days where I flew from Riyadh to Bkk, spent the entire time either in Nana or in the Dynasty Inn almost next door to Nana, and flew back. Due to the way our shifts were organised we had a  3 day weekend every other weekend, so I used minimal annual leave.

I doubt I could have done that too often, but life was good back then.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Indeed, but I used to work in Saudi, so was rolling in cash. I had one holiday of 6 days where I flew from Riyadh to Bkk, spent the entire time either in Nana or in the Dynasty Inn almost next door to Nana, and flew back. Due to the way our shifts were organised we had a  3 day weekend every other weekend, so I used minimal annual leave.

I doubt I could have done that too often, but life was good back then.

Sounds like heaven......(minus the virgins)

Edited by Will B Good

15 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Sounds like heaven......(minus the virgins)

Indeed, it was as near paradise on earth as I ever found. I doubt such times will be ever found again given the internet as a means of bypassing the bars and the rise of feminism and PC/ wokeism.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I used to be permanently in debt till 35 when I cut up my credit card and never in debt since. Gotta watch out for those <deleted> bankers that keep increasing debt allowance even without being asked.

Changes in spending- used to be mostly on women, now nothing at all on women.

Bought much sugary food, but almost none now.

If one doesn't womanise, smoke or drink alcohol one can almost survive on the old age pension.

There must be a "reverse correlation". The lower my testosterone level gets, the fatter my bank account gets.
If it wasn't for Wine, Women and Song plus cigarettes in my younger years, I would now have the status of a Russian "Oligarch". Wheras the factor "women" was the most costly of them all. Not complaining. Only complaining, that I can't do it again.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, swissie said:

There must be a "reverse correlation". The lower my testosterone level gets, the fatter my bank account gets.
If it wasn't for Wine, Women and Song plus cigarettes in my younger years, I would now have the status of a Russian "Oligarch". Wheras the factor "women" was the most costly of them all. Not complaining. Only complaining, that I can't do it again.

I know how you feel and wish I could too.

It says much that in our so called liberated days I can't discuss such with any western woman I know, and probably many men ( I once knew a man that thought Debbie does Dallas was disgusting- I hope he got the woman he deserved ).

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I agree, but short of offing ourselves there isn't much can be done about it but survive one day at a time.

Most living things are surviving day by day.

Life is hard! Compared to what?

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I agree, but short of offing ourselves there isn't much can be done about it but survive one day at a time.

Yeah, I suppose it all comes down to perspective.  Many of the things I spend my time on now for entertainment would be of little interest to my 20-year-old self from years past.  My dad lived to be 91, and for the first few years after he retired we kids kept suggesting all of the things that he could be doing to enjoy himself.  Then one day he shut us down by saying simply, "sometimes when you reach a point where you can do whatever the hell you want, the thing that appeals most is just staying home."  That right there is freedom.

As for the original topic, I had drafted a post about spending less here in my late 50s, but then deleted it without posting because I realized that it really wasn't accurate.  I spend more on housing, a bit more on travel, more on health insurance, and a lot more on my kids who are in their teens.   The one thing that I spend a lot less on though is myself, other than the travel.  I don't buy much stuff because I already have enough stuff, and barely replace even the stuff that breaks or wears out.  Like OP, many of the things that I enjoy are free or inexpensive, going out for coffee, trying new recipes, and other hobbies.  I've reached a point where time is more important than money, and now I'm able to spend my time on the things that interest me most.  Once the kids are through university and we downsize the house, my spending will probably be considerably less than what is it now or what I could afford.  I've read that is actually an adjustment that older retirees frequently have difficulty with, and that is shifting from a wealth accumulation/preservation mindset to a decumulation/consumption mindset.   

Edited by ChrisP24
  • Like 2

On 3/28/2022 at 7:10 PM, Sparktrader said:

Dive watches look cool

Got a few watches, don't like wearing them as hate knowing 'when it is'.   Went with Citizens for my dive watch.   Battery is probably long dead, and sits in the jewelry box with the others.

On 3/28/2022 at 3:35 PM, Will B Good said:

Tended to live to my/our means......poor when young, 'middle class' wealthy in the mid-years and now living off pensions and savings......can't say life felt radically different during any of those stages.

Always within my means, with minimal borrowed /credit interest payments (CC / mortgages) to be paid.  Not much changed, though sticking with 'work smarter instead of harder or more hours' seem to fit my 'smile factor'

For you youngins, not yet retired, you really need to know where you money is going.  Do a 3 month running calculation, and it can be eye opening.  Too lazy to cook, though more like, do the dishes, my dining out budget in the USA was quite silly at times, and more than $1000 a month.

Not having kids or that new 'show' car payment made a big difference, over my peers' dining out budgets.

Also, learned early on, 'if you can't pay cash for it, you probably shouldn't be buying it'.   Especially if it depreciates.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grecian said:

Which is better?

hard to say.   i don't think one is "better" than the other . just different. tradeoff between freedom to be out and about all night and good home cooked food for breakfast every morning.  given the limitations on public social interactions during 2+ years of covid, i chose the delicious breakfast route.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 8:19 PM, KhunLA said:

Got a few watches, don't like wearing them as hate knowing 'when it is'.   Went with Citizens for my dive watch.   Battery is probably long dead, and sits in the jewelry box with the others.

Being retired is great. I haven't worn a watch for many years, as I rarely have to be anywhere at a particular time. The phone tells me the time if needed.