Covid restrictions for inter-provincial travel?

tavernier

Returning to Thailand shortly, and after test and go will be driving Bangkok, Chang, Esaan, and Ayutthaya, visiting family and friends. I've heard conflicting reports about checks and quarantine between provinces! Anyone know the definitive driving situation.

No restrictions nor controls whatsoever. But right now my suggestion would be to travel only by private car or taxi. There is near certainty that whenever you board a flight, bus or whatever that Covid will be on board too. And testing positive in Thailand will cost you a lot.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

23 hours ago, tavernier said:

Returning to Thailand shortly, and after test and go will be driving Bangkok, Chang, Esaan, and Ayutthaya, visiting family and friends. I've heard conflicting reports about checks and quarantine between provinces! Anyone know the definitive driving situation.

Well, I visited last year, arrived Christmas day. Did my one night test and go, and theoretically was then free to travel without restriction. However the local authorities insisted on a 14-day self-isolation when I arrived in Chiang Rai province. They wanted to see my passport and vaccination certificates, and to have copies. So there you have it. The provinces, district and sub-districts have their own rules. Had I been a normal tourist, I could have travelled freely from hotel to hotel, no doubt. But returning to a residential address, different rules can apply.

Edited by Tuvoc

On 3/28/2022 at 3:38 PM, Boomer6969 said:

No restrictions nor controls whatsoever. But right now my suggestion would be to travel only by private car or taxi. There is near certainty that whenever you board a flight, bus or whatever that Covid will be on board too. And testing positive in Thailand will cost you a lot.

And what if your taxi driver is positive and you are confined in a small space with him for hours?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Promsak said:

And what if your taxi driver is positive and you are confined in a small space with him for hours?

Well, right now based on what we see in some neighbouring countries there must be at least 200000 to 300000 infections a day, if a Covid patient remains infections for a week we would have 1.5M to 2M active carriers at any point in time. So very approximately one in 20. Hence my assumption that we get exposed, in not infected every time we ride a public transport. And we have indeed a one in twenty chance that our taxi driver is infected. 

On 3/28/2022 at 3:27 PM, tavernier said:

Bangkok, Chang, Esaan, and Ayutthaya, visiting family and friends.

As others wrote: you can drive freely in the country by car.

To avoid any (unlikely) trouble in remote villages or the like, best contact your friends to meet "in town" (restaurant, mall, hotel etc.) or ask them for their opinion.

Very unlikely at these times.

Does not apply to Bangkok or any type of city (district, province).

Don't forget that Songkran lies ahead with terrible traffic.