Moving to Philippines

On 3/29/2022 at 9:52 AM, bradiston said:

The DWP has no access to that data AFAIK. Otherwise 1000s, possibly 100s of 1000s, of expat pensioners would be receiving letters in non-signatory countries if they were appearing to avoid the pension rules, requesting residency details. More scare mongering.

It only takes 1 clue of fraud for the authorities to then demand access to all relevant data.

1 hour ago, Card said:

It only takes 1 clue of fraud for the authorities to then demand access to all relevant data.

If they suspect you are or have been living abroad, perhaps if you absent mindedly let drop a hint as I did, you will most likely receive a letter and a lengthy questionnaire about when you left the UK, your circumstances when you left, and a whole lot of other details. They make it clear if you ignore it, your pension will be frozen. No other action taken.

They really do not seem interested in launching a campaign or even individually pursuing pensioners living overseas, wherever they are. They certainly aren't checking with "Border Control" (sic). They would need to cross check approximately 1.2m records from numerous government departments as that's the estimated number of pensioners living abroad. The DWP lost £8.3 billion in benefit fraud last financial year, and very little of it, if any, from state pensioners. It was all home grown based on universal credit mostly. There's just no possible financial incentive to go chasing after the comparatively small amounts that might be at stake.

1 hour ago, 2009 said:

Brown outs?

He does not realize that in the outer provinces and small villages brown outs, or power shut downs as they are also known, occur sometimes daily and weekly.  I added a generator house to the property I had a house built on, it was a diesel engine generator that ran off of LNG, and when the power would go off it would kick on.  Others I knew had solar panels and batteries set up for when it happened.  Never had a Brown-out in Manila, Cebu or Dumaguete when I was living in the Phils.

15 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Good luck with the move. Please post back once settled in to let us know how you are going.

I hope you get a lovely petite young wife like Chrissy K:

I hope that they would act responsibly and not ruin a teenagers life .

In 10-15-20 years time she will be( by local standards ) past it and be unable to find a husband locally and will end up being a single middle aged woman hanging around felang bars looking for husband  number 2 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

In 10-15-20 years time she will be( by local standards ) past it and be unable to find a husband locally and will end up being a single middle aged woman hanging around felang bars looking for husband  number 2 

Your a little out in left field with your comment.  Ruining a teenagers life? Really? Care to explain.....In the Philippines once you marry it's a forever gig, and it takes an act of congress to get a divorce unlike here in Thailand.  I have many friends who married Pinay's and the steps taken prior to a marriage are so much more complex then marrying a lady from Thailand as religion plays a big part in marriage in the Philippines as well.

• Like 2

For me the Filipinas  speaking English is like fingernails on a chalkboard. The PI is fun to visit, been going there on ships (Subic Bay) since 1976. Back when Olongapo was The Pearl of the Orient. Magsasay was insane back then.

Fast forward today, yeah I wouldn't live there. Maybe spend a few months at a time there, but that's it. You think ladies in Thailand want help with the family, PI is a higher level. Just feels like there's always a hustle going on in PI.

• Like 1

Just now, EVENKEEL said:

For me the Filipinas  speaking English is like fingernails on a chalkboard. The PI is fun to visit, been going there on ships (Subic Bay) since 1976. Back when Olongapo was The Pearl of the Orient. Magsasay was insane back then.

Fast forward today, yeah I wouldn't live there. Maybe spend a few months at a time there, but that's it. You think ladies in Thailand want help with the family, PI is a higher level. Just feels like there's always a hustle going on in PI.

I agree. Lately I have been weighing Philippines vs Thailand. I speak both languages fairly well but have lived longer in the Philippines. I can live rent free in a very nice apartment kitted out imported furniture from David Jones but the extra cost and hassle for transport and food is not worth it. In Thailand I can wander down the street at any time of the night and there is plenty of decent food available cheaply. The streets are safe and I can walk anywhere I want to go. That just isn't true of AC. The hustle is all too real as well.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Sigh.... The beta male response.  The husband of Chrissy K has just posted a clip on youtube addressing the loser mentality of people like yourself:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Sigh.... The beta male response.  The husband of Chrissy K has just posted a clip on youtube addressing the loser mentality of people like yourself:

Sorry, dont have time to watch the video, but I was talking about older males marrying teenage girls and the consequences of what will happen in the future , like in 20 years time , when shes 40 and he's dead 

On 4/1/2022 at 5:41 PM, bradiston said:

If they suspect you are or have been living abroad, perhaps if you absent mindedly let drop a hint as I did, you will most likely receive a letter and a lengthy questionnaire about when you left the UK, your circumstances when you left, and a whole lot of other details. They make it clear if you ignore it, your pension will be frozen. No other action taken.

They really do not seem interested in launching a campaign or even individually pursuing pensioners living overseas, wherever they are. They certainly aren't checking with "Border Control" (sic). They would need to cross check approximately 1.2m records from numerous government departments as that's the estimated number of pensioners living abroad. The DWP lost £8.3 billion in benefit fraud last financial year, and very little of it, if any, from state pensioners. It was all home grown based on universal credit mostly. There's just no possible financial incentive to go chasing after the comparatively small amounts that might be at stake.

There are special units that investigate fraud against the NHS, DWP etc. I suggest you Google 'detection of fraud against the nhs' and remember that any neighbour, associate etc who suspects someone is defrauding the NHS might feel it is their duty to report you anonymously and then you are on a list indefinitely.

Edited by Card

On 3/29/2022 at 3:55 PM, Tall Midget said:

I think foreigners who show up for treatment without paying, and someone who has contributed all their lives with NI payments and income tax should be 2 different kettles of fish. Wouldn't you feel some sort of entitlement after working all your life?

Government probably doesn't stay awake at night worrying about how citizens that CHOSE to go live in a different country are missing out on NHS treatment.

However, I do wish they stopped illegals from benefiting from other people's contributions. If you turn up in a leaky raft without an invitation, you shouldn't get a council flat and free NHS treatment.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2022 at 1:26 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Sorry, dont have time to watch the video, but I was talking about older males marrying teenage girls and the consequences of what will happen in the future , like in 20 years time , when shes 40 and he's dead 

Isn't that her problem? Given that she wasn't forced at gunpoint to get married, it's up to her to go out and work, earn money, save and invest for the time when he's not around.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Isn't that her problem? Given that she wasn't forced at gunpoint to get married, it's up to her to go out and work, earn money, save and invest for the time when he's not around.

If you love and care about someone, then you will be concerned about their future and if you are older then them, you would be concerned about what will happen to them when you die .

So, whilst it would be her problem, if you care about her, it would also be your concern as well 

On 3/29/2022 at 5:50 PM, EVENKEEL said:

I'll bet you thought you were permanent in Thailand as well. My point is the only permanent home we have is where our passport was issued. 

I'm from the US and just because I spend yrs at a time here in Thailand, I still consider the US my home.

You are really confused.

On 4/1/2022 at 5:41 PM, bradiston said:

So presumably you lied on the questionnaire then?

7 hours ago, Card said:

There are special units that investigate fraud against the NHS, DWP etc. I suggest you Google 'detection of fraud against the nhs' and remember that any neighbour, associate etc who suspects someone is defrauding the NHS might feel it is their duty to report you anonymously and then you are on a list indefinitely.

What's fraud against the NHS got to do with the state pension? I've never been hospitalised in my life. Apart from occasional visits to my GP, that's my sole use of the NHS. You seem to be on some sort of crusade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

What's fraud against the NHS got to do with the state pension? I've never been hospitalised in my life. Apart from occasional visits to my GP, that's my sole use of the NHS. You seem to be on some sort of crusade.

It's about claiming to be a UK resident when u are not. That's the link between claiming an enhancing pension and free NHS treatment because if you claim the first thing, the other two usually follow. Understand now? I am not on a crusade, just trying to show links to people who do not seem to understand why they may be making a mistake when they knowingly or not commit fraud against the UK govt, and ultimately the British taxpayer.

Edited by Card

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What woman ever does that?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Card said:

It's about claiming to be a UK resident when u are not. That's the link between claiming an enhancing pension and free NHS treatment because if you claim the first thing, the other two usually follow. Understand now? I am not on a crusade, just trying to show links to people who do not seem to understand why they may be making a mistake when they knowingly or not commit fraud against the UK govt, and ultimately the British taxpayer.

I'm UK resident for tax purposes. So I am liable to pay UK tax, but don't qualify for a pension raise. Go figure. Is that fair?

1 hour ago, Card said:

Oh, and I googled your suggested search string. It seems the fraud in question is mostly fraud committed by, for instance, NHS operatives themselves, eg NHS trusts and GPs claiming for patients they don't have. Too many crossed wires in your cross hairs.

On 4/4/2022 at 6:00 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

If you love and care about someone, then you will be concerned about their future and if you are older then them, you would be concerned about what will happen to them when you die .

So, whilst it would be her problem, if you care about her, it would also be your concern as well 

Then they should have sorted it at the start of the relationship.