Uk Divorce

Hi Everyone

Has anybody here any experience of divorcing your Thai wife while you are living in the UK and she is in Thailand?

She lived in the UK with me for 7 years while we built up our house in Thailand in order to retire there in 3 years time.

I caught her seeing someone else and now her spouse visa is up for renewal I am not going to renew it, she can get ILR visa but she can not pass the life in the UK test so I am hoping she goes back to Thailand.

I own my own house and have other rental properties so I'm assuming she will go after a share of these in the divorce settlement..,

Anyone know how assets are divided up in Thailand as we have a lot of land in there as well as the house I have built for my retirement but all in her name.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

• Sad 1

Forget it don`t divorce....let her slide back to Thailand if possible....divorce in the UK will cost you dearly...she will have friends telling her that....if she asks for it ignore/refuse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I love you long time said:

I own my own house and have other rental properties so I'm assuming she will go after a share of these in the divorce settlement..,

Anyone know how assets are divided up in Thailand as we have a lot of land in there as well as the house I have built for my retirement but all in her name.

Your post is not so clear "Love u long time"---Are you talking about these properties being in Thailand ?..if so the last thing you would want her to do is go back to Thailand, alone.

Edited by oxo1947

Apparently you can divorced in any country you want regardless of where you married!!!

I guess the problem then arises if you can't agree which country.

She will presumably demand the UK to get access to your estate, but you will want to divorce in Thailand????

Or you can get an international divorce!!!

Cut a deal with her.

See if she’s willing to go home and take everything in Thailand as her settlement, she’d almost certainly get it all anyway.

If you try to force her home she’ll use provisions in the immigration laws to remain in the UK while she cleans you out.

If you can’t get her to cut a deal then you are going to have to get lawyered up. 

And as others have said, she is getting advice from her Thai friends, most of which will be nonsense, but some will be extremely risky for you ie fabricating accusations against you.

The first step is to find out what she’s looking for.

yes ,she was in Thailand ,i was in the UK ,she never asked or got anything ,it was mine before and mine afterwards ,she now lives in the UK and has a partner ,mind you that was 27 yrs ago .i remarried a year later to my present Thai wife .

I will say one thing ,neither were bar girls and both came from familys that were not poor.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

My first Thai wife was a scheming, thieving --------- (insert word you feel like).

I had brought her to the UK and she fraudulently got money from banks and ruined a business we set up.

When I found out I petitioned for divorce after 3 years marriage , the same time she was in the UK.

She at the time got free solicitors, they asked for everything they could possibly. wanted half my pension, half may house, half my savings. I was worried for a while - but judge just laughed at them, as she was working, in the wrong and obviously just someone wanting money. Judge said you don't get 50/50, marriage not long enough and no kids.

The solicitors are just fleas on a dog

Judge ordered me to give her £3,000 and that was it.

Way I understand it in Thailand is everything you had before the marriage is YOURs, everything gained after is 50/50 split. So technically if you bought a house in the marriage time, half is hers in Thailand law. 

I'd cut her a deal of say 2-3% of your wealth at most, if the visa is up for renewal you've only been married 2 years and she is in the wrong. Thais hate being the one divorced - stain on the family - but ok if they divorce you - my ex told her family she divorced me for being with a bargirl - should have seen the families face when they saw the paperwork of me divorcing their daughter for theft.

I do not know ONE man that married a Thai and took them to the UK that are still together, ALL divorced. 100% split rate.

That said I know my current wife of seven years is not the same, and would buck the trend. 

my second Thai wife and i lived in the UK for many years ,now back in Thailand 17 yrs ,our son went to school in the UK when young, we are still together ,

in fact i have to stop writting now as she just called me for my morning coffee ????

Edited by ivor bigun
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, MisterTee said:

In Thailand it is a 50/50 split of assets acquired since marriage.

So I've been told.

Only if going through the family court. If going through the amphur it's by prior negotiation.

If the OP was married in Thailand it's nothing to do with the UK.

21 hours ago, I love you long time said:

as we have a lot of land in there

YOU never had any land at all. Farangs can't own any and a good thing too, IMO.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

yes ,she was in Thailand ,i was in the UK ,she never asked or got anything ,it was mine before and mine afterwards ,she now lives in the UK and has a partner ,mind you that was 27 yrs ago .i remarried a year later to my present Thai wife .

I will say one thing ,neither were bar girls and both came from familys that were not poor.

and so what? Millions of men get <deleted> by women that never worked in a bar and were not poor.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Only if going through the family court. If going through the amphur it's by prior negotiation.

If the OP was married in Thailand it's nothing to do with the UK.

YOU never had any land at all. Farangs can't own any and a good thing too, IMO.

Don’t kid yourself.

If either the husband or wife are living in the UK OR if either the husband or wife have assets in the UK, then a UK court has jurisdiction regardless of where the marriage took place.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and so what? Millions of men get <deleted> by women that never worked in a bar and were not poor.

Women with jobs and money are more likely to get a good lawyer and extract as much money as possible, an advantage of a bar girl, but having said that, crazy for a man to get married unless woman has similar money

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My first wife was quite well off and she screwed me for every penny,ive nothing against bar girls.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Don’t kid yourself.

If either the husband or wife are living in the UK OR if either the husband or wife have assets in the UK, then a UK court has jurisdiction regardless of where the marriage took place.

Which is one of the many reasons why I'd never have taken my Thai wife to live in NZ or Britain.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Which is one of the many reasons why I'd never have taken my Thai wife to live in NZ or Britain.

My first Thai wife lived in Britain in fact still does ,asked for nothing ,my second Thai wife lived in Britain and now lives here in Thailand with me ,dont worry about it Thai British American ,women are just women ,good bad and different from each other .

• Like 1

I just went through a divorce here and am ok with the settlement. 

Don't get divorced in the UK.

Get a lawyer here and make an agreement to be registered at the amphur. If she is presently dependent on you financially then use as leverage to sign.

It's really important to stay in good terms if possible, because once the gloves come off you will both lose but she won't care. I've been told there are lawyers here who accept a percentage of the settlement so she won't pay anything up front.

My ex never bothered getting a lawyer, most likely it was too much effort.