Pre-departure PCR test still necessary?

rudi49jr

I have conflicting information about having to get a pre-departure PCR test before flying to Thailand or not. My girlfriend is flying back to BKK on April 5, her Thailand Pass has just been approved, but in the email it said that she needs:

Medical certificate with a laboratory result indicating that COVID-19 is not detected through RT-PCR test (issued within 72 hours before departure).”

But I seem to remember reading on this forum one or two days ago that the pre-departure PCR test requirement was scrapped, or was going to be scrapped. Just want to make sure, because I’d hate to have to spend a lot of money on a PCR test for my girlfriend and it turns out it was not necessary.

Hope someone can tell me yea or nay on the pre-departure PCR test. Thanks!

36 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Two questions:

1. Is your girlfriend a Thai citizen?

2. What airline/route will she be flying?

Yes, my girlfriend is Thai, and she will be flying with Thai Airways from Frankfurt to BKK on Tuesday April 5, arriving in BKK on April 6.

49 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

Yes, my girlfriend is Thai, and she will be flying with Thai Airways from Frankfurt to BKK on Tuesday April 5, arriving in BKK on April 6.

If at the time of check-in for the flight at Frankfurt airport the computer system shows no requirement for a PCR test, your friend will get her boarding pass without showing a test certificate. The computer database is updated quite promptly following a notification of a change in requirements by a country's government to IATA.

Edited by Puccini

You guys make it so confusing….

this is my interpretation - as of April 1st, no PCR test is required by the Thai gov under the Thai Pass if your plane touches down on or after April 1st…this includes everyone whether Thai or non Thai citizen.

yet one must pay attention to one’s airliner own requirement as it could require a pre arrival PCR or antigen test to fly on their planes regardless of Thai Pass/elimination of pre arrival test -  4/1/22

is my interpretation correct or incorrect?

• Like 1

Just now, cardinalblue said:

this is my interpretation - as of April 1st, no PCR test is required by the Thai gov under the Thai Pass if your plane touches down on or after April 1st…this includes everyone whether Thai or non Thai citizen.

yet one must pay attention to one’s airliner own requirement as it could require a pre arrival PCR or antigen test to fly on their planes regardless of Thai Pass/elimination of pre arrival test -  4/1/22

Correct, however the Thailand Pass website still states that a pre-departure PCR test is required.

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

The email I got with the QR code for Thai pass says it's still needed, but it will update on April 1st I guess. I'm non Thai. I fly on 7th.

Nothing will change until the changes have been approved by the cabinet and registered in the gazette.

I can tell you that the changes implemented for the 1st October did not become effective until  late on the 30th September. I had my COE rejected shortly after and had to resubmit but did get approval in a couple of hours, just before midnight.

I got a recent email from Finnair stating they will not require a pre-departure PCR-test from me after 1 april.

Update: Qatar airways also lists "Effective April 1, 2022, the pre-departure RT-PCR COVID-19 test will no longer be required for all travellers to Thailand."

Edited by zib

Thanks for all your input, guys. I will check the website of the Thai embassy on Friday morning (April 1), to see if it has been updated. If not, my girlfriend is going to have to do a PCR test. Better safe than sorry, don’t want her to get turned away at the gate because she didn’t do the PCR.

4 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Wrong, airlines will follow what is required by the destination country.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, zib said:

I got a recent email from Finnair stating they will not require a pre-departure PCR-test from me after 1 april.

Update: Qatar airways also lists "Effective April 1, 2022, the pre-departure RT-PCR COVID-19 test will no longer be required for all travellers to Thailand."

I’m flying with Qatar Airways from Doha today (31st March) and arriving Bangkok April 1st - just to be on safe side have pre-departure PCR test….am assuming requirement for pre-departure test is dropped tomorrow….after waiting so long to travel I’d be gutted to be refused at airport today!

On 3/30/2022 at 9:16 AM, Kopitiam said:

Wrong, airlines will follow what is required by the destination country.

This is wrong. Airlines (and transit countries) may have their own policies in addition to the destination country.

On 3/30/2022 at 3:22 AM, blackcab said:

Correct, however the Thailand Pass website still states that a pre-departure PCR test is required.

It is not April 1 yet. It will be updated after a few days. 

Edited by Onerak

1 hour ago, hioctane said:

This is wrong. Airlines (and transit countries) may have their own policies in addition to the destination country.

Transit countries, yes. Airlines, don't think so. We have not been provided evidence of a single airline that requires covid testing or vaccination in addition to the legal  requirements of country of destination or transit. To do so would put the airlines at a commercial disadvantage and add additional complication. Airlines actually want people to fly.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

Thai Airways have updated their site to say it's not needed after the 1st. 

https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/news/news_announcement/news_detail/covid_info_th.page?country=thailand_en.jpg

image.png

3 hours ago, blackcab said:

@Puccini The negative PCR test before travel requirement has now been removed from the Thailand Pass website.

Thanks guys, that’s exactly what I needed to know! 

• Like 1

I posted this one on another subforum but it might be better posted here.

An American friend recently departed Thailand for the U.S. and had to comply with the U.S. requirement for a negative Covid test within 24 hours of boarding. This presents a problem if a PCR test is needed because it is a lab test and results take a while unless you're willing to pay dearly for a quicker turnaround. However, he was able to get a Rapid Antigen test at Suvarnabhumi for only 250 baht. He was flying on ANA and was allowed to board and allowed entry to the U.S. based on his negative test result. He was not asked for any proof of Covid result when he entered the U.S.  That means the airlines are forced to do the dirty work of checking travelers' test results.

Apparently, even though the U.S. is being a stickler about requiring a test within such a short window of time, the Rapid Antigen test is quick and easy and it served to fulfill the requirement. There are two separate testing facilities on the 1st floor of Suvarnabhumi, one at Door 8 (250 baht), another at Door 3 (500 baht).

I hope this helps those of you who are heading to the U.S. I can assure you, it took a big load off my mind. I expect international travel will get easier going forward but I fear pre-flight Covid testing will be something we have to deal with for a long time yet.