Thaksin does not rule out working with Palang Pracharath

webfact

3 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

"It won't happen within one year. When Yingluck became PM everybody was sceptic but they gave her a chance."

They gave her a chance?? BWAHAHAHAHA! Do you really think the good 'ol boys were like "Hey, let's give her a chance because we only want what's best for Thailand."?

The old elite was denied unfettered access to the trough and they were chomping at the bits to kick her out from day one. But since she (as her brother) was massively popular they needed an excuse,  and to their delight they found one due to the stupid rice scheme.

Gave her a chance my rear end.

I wasn't talking about the "good 'ol boys" - maybe I should have made that clearer.

"They" in this case was about the general public, journalists, opposition parties, etc. And they gave her a chance.

One reason the two last coups could happen and could happen peacefully was because the coups were supported by lots of people, at least in Bangkok. When the military was out in the streets I saw lots of happy faces and the soldiers saw lots of happy faces. People could have opposed those soldiers, even by looking at them like they were thugs, but that wasn't the case. Many people, in my area of Bangkok definitely the majority of people, welcomed the coups and the soldiers. And they welcomed them because the soldiers removed the criminals.

I don't know if or when another coup might happen in Thailand. But IMHO it will most likely only happen if the soldiers are supported by a huge part of the population. If the population is happy then they don't welcome a coup. If they are unhappy and see no legal way to get rid of the criminal leader then what are the options? A coup! And that is what happened two times with the Shinawatras.

18 hours ago, GarryP said:

The current bunch are hopeless. The only thing they are better at is corruption. The corruption figures are through the roof now, so Prayuth and is buddies are clearly a total failure. But would I like to see the return of Thaksin or any of his family? Hell no!!!!!!

This country could never move forward if Thaksin, his family or cronies are involved. Did he do anything good for Thailand that we should be grateful for? Sure he did. He let upcountry folk know that their voice was important (probably......., no, certainly, for self serving purposes), and that cat is never going back in the bag; he introduced the 30 Baht health scheme (borrowed it from the Democrats, but lets not split hairs), and a few other things. But that can never wipe the slate clean of his negatives. He is a corrupt liar, as has been pointed out by another poster, who promised that as a rich person he did not need any more and so he would be as pure as the driven snow and could be trusted. Well someone peed all over that snow 'cos he certainly isn't pure. And then he went out of his way to gag the press so that they would not print anything negative about him.

However, I do not believe for a minute that he was removed because of corruption. That is the excuse that was used for the coup and it seems to be the par for the course here in Thailand. He was removed for other reasons. Reasons concerning him rocking the boat when it came to a certain power clique. Something that could not be accepted by others at the top. He was a power lover who shafted himself with his own desires.   

Realistically, the whole traditional system and repeated cycles requires a complete and thorough cleansing - otherwise all the back-n-forth analyzing, punditry and debate is quite moot. 

Nothing of the power hold has changed much, whatsoever, of the last several decades regardless of the dreamy surface schemes that come around occasionally - yet still remains firmly entrenched by way of the traditional power set. Some cynical circles will suggest that it's never changed.....or bumps in the road that might hint of change but truly remains the same. 

Any positive and permanent alternations or modifications will never see the light of day until the traditional mindset is banished - naturally, all this has to come by the way of the people as a collective. 

• Like 2

On 3/31/2022 at 4:21 PM, possum1931 said:

Excellent answer, I cannot comment on Thaksin as I know very little about him, but I would rather have any elected government than these soldiers who are there now. IMO, they are even manipulating the Baht to suit there own ends, look how week it has been from 2014 onwards.

But 2014 was before Brexit, and that took a big chunk out of the Forex rate. That you cannot blame the current in Thailand for,

57 minutes ago, billd766 said:

But 2014 was before Brexit, and that took a big chunk out of the Forex rate. That you cannot blame the current in Thailand for,

I know, but the baht has kept rising since then and it is no coincidence, I still believe the soldier government is manipulating it.

21 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I know, but the baht has kept rising since then and it is no coincidence, I still believe the soldier government is manipulating it.

Survival mechanisms. It's what they do. And has been manipulated, in one form or another, for quite some time - regardless of government or respective economic eras. 

But then, it's been the historic nature and practice of worldwide currency markets forever. 

It is what it is. Framed in falsehoods.

Edited by zzaa09
  • Like 1