Language barrier, stereotypes frustrate new Chinese migrants to Thailand

webfact

10 minutes ago, Onerak said:

When I said first generation, I meant adults first generation. The kids who go to schools are, though first generation, are like second generation because they did not migrate. Their parents migrated. I have a few friends who grew up in the USA and migrated when young (less than 15 or even younger) with their parents and graduated high schools in the USA and they have very few friends from their own country and most of their friends are people they went to schools with. 

Some days I wish they were more like the first generation, LOL.  My Thai wife has many friends here in the USA, but mostly Asian.  Chinese/Malaysian, Thai, Chinese and lately a few young Japanese.  They come to lunch at our house and yak in sorta-English for a few hours.  It's a melee in a hen-house. They just feel more comfortable with others who don't speak so well, I think. Part of it, anyway.

On 3/31/2022 at 6:42 PM, Mr Derek said:

If one's country is no good, why not stay and work hard to make it better? Why is it the reflex nowadays to run off to someone else's country and appropriate it for themselves? Yeah, I know. They want more, now.

Well said.

It's unfortunate, IMO, that some countries allow or even encourage economic migrants from a completely different culture that will fundamentally change the existing culture under the guise of "multi culturalism" which never seems to work very well for the indigenous population.

Far from wanting to assimilate, they seem to want to turn their new "home" into a replica of whatever <deleted><deleted> they left behind.

BTW quite a lot of posters are often on this forum wanting Thailand to be more like the place they don't want to live in any more. LOL.

• Like 1