PATTAYA STREET FOOD - List of Pattaya street food that you like

vidgra

There is not best anything, it's just idiots who comment this way.

But 2 good Khao man guy around pattaya are the most famous one in front of Tukcom and the one on top of Pratamnak soi 5.

And they are good with reason, rice really cooked in chicken fat, not good because one of those idiots said that it's good without any specific reason.

Khao man gai is terrible at any mall, they all reuse the past day chicken... especially bigC.

If chicken is not hung before you, do not eat !

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/31/2022 at 1:03 PM, scubascuba3 said:

My favourite chicken rice is on soi Arunothai, that's all it does so know how to do it, From Klang turn right and it's a shack type place on the right about 200 yards.

My current favourite street food place is Soi 15 corner of Pattaya 2nd road, 30-50 baht

I never tried this one and never a Thai spoke about it.

Is it open in day time or only late afternoon ?

By the way, anybody knows a chicken rice restaurant (not street food) or any place selling Khao man gai during the day, and not only at night ?

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, thierryviteau said:

There is not best anything, it's just idiots who comment this way.

But 2 good Khao man guy around pattaya are the most famous one in front of Tukcom and the one on top of Pratamnak soi 5.

And they are good with reason, rice really cooked in chicken fat, not good because one of those idiots said that it's good without any specific reason.

Khao man gai is terrible at any mall, they all reuse the past day chicken... especially bigC.

If chicken is not hung before you, do not eat !

The better Khao Man Gai restaurants use Capons.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, thierryviteau said:

I never tried this one and never a Thai spoke about it.

Is it open in day time or only late afternoon ?

By the way, anybody knows a chicken rice restaurant (not street food) or any place selling Khao man gai during the day, and not only at night ?

Thanks.

The Arunothai place open from around 4pm. I haven't been there for ages but should be open or just go to Big C Extra food court.

Most street food places will do Khao man gai daytime, a couple other places on Soi New Plaza near buakhao or Buakhao 2nd hand market, food left side as you go in from Buakhao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Does anyone know where to get Mataba. 

Meat filled roti, I always eat it when I'm in Penang. 

I could get it on Koh Samui when I lived there. 

Am sure I've seen Murtabak at a stall in the Pier 21 food court but easy enough to pick up some Roti & make your own...

I use the Chinatown ones, 59 THB (often on sale at 49THB) from Tops in Central

Chinatown-Food-Prata-French-Onion-5pcs.jpg

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/2/2022 at 2:26 AM, FolkGuitar said:

I've only been in Thailand for 22 years, not 35. And in fact, I did get a case of the G.I.Blues... ONCE... after eating at a very exclusive hotel restaurant in Bangkok. It lasted almost 4 hours, taken care of with two Imodium tablets. Four hours out of my 22-year existence in LOS, eating street foods often, everywhere I go. Even eating sausages of varying types often. Street foods and their vendors are an integral part of Thai Culture, and to avoid them is doing oneself an injustice. One only needs to be a bit observant and street-smart when choosing which vendor with whom to give your custom.

Funnily enough the only time I've been really sick in LOS was after a meal at the Shangri La hotel in Silom....

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Does anyone know where to get Mataba. 

Meat filled roti, I always eat it when I'm in Penang. 

I could get it on Koh Samui when I lived there. 

Saw a mobile stall labelled as such at Na Jomtien beach; though it looked like only fruit fillings. I did not look close enough to confirm otherwise.

• Haha 2

On 4/2/2022 at 5:44 PM, Leaver said:

Just what type of street food do you actually eat?

Just as all the food I eat, nutritious, and tasty. Kau Man Gai, Kau Ka Mu, Krapow, Satay, Kau Phat, various noodle dishes. I simply go in read the menu "in Thai", ask a few questions and order if I am happy. Cheap, fresh, and fast. But as I said avoid anything Isaan other than the barbecue. My guess is you have gotten ill eating what I do not. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, marin said:

I simply go in read the menu

What do you go into? It's street food, usually on the road or sidewalks.  

6 hours ago, marin said:

But as I said avoid anything Isaan other than the barbecue.

Moo Katta is usually in a restaurant.  

Do you actually eat on the street, on the little chairs and fold up tables?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Moo Katta is usually in a restaurant.  

Do you actually eat on the street, on the little chairs and fold up tables?  

I would never eat Moo Katta, the quality of ingredients tends to be too low. The vegetables are bought near the spoil date and served quickly and the cuts of meats and seafood are of the lowest quality that can be bought due to the fact is usually sliced so thin they can get away with it. 

Yes when travelling I eat street food in street stalls all the time. Not so much in BKK anymore as we do most of the cooking at home, and pack lunches when going to work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, marin said:

I would never eat Moo Katta, the quality of ingredients tends to be too low. The vegetables are bought near the spoil date and served quickly and the cuts of meats and seafood are of the lowest quality that can be bought due to the fact is usually sliced so thin they can get away with it. 

Yes when travelling I eat street food in street stalls all the time. Not so much in BKK anymore as we do most of the cooking at home, and pack lunches when going to work.

yes, just walking pass by a mookate makes me throw out.... full of $hit food, I wonder how can people eat what dogs might not even like...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, thwo said:

where ?

not before 5pm I think...

Any area selling at all. Kau Man Gai is more of a morning to mid day meal. When the chicken is gone they go home. Now Kau Mok the yellow rice is served later in the day as well..

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, marin said:

Any area selling at all. Kau Man Gai is more of a morning to mid day meal. When the chicken is gone they go home. Now Kau Mok the yellow rice is served later in the day as well..

Strange, place i referred to above selling solely that opened from 4pm

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Strange, place i referred to above selling solely that opened from 4pm

Sounds like a smart vendor, selling something people like at a different time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marin said:

Wrong! Best place I used to go to opened at 6pm. Closed at 11pm.

Another very popular place on Soi Potisan(Bhodisan) also opens in the evening.

The woman on Pattaya Tai, around one hundred metres from the junction with Second Road, also used to do a mean chicken rice. Would boil the chicken there and then. She's still there, though haven't checked of late if she still does the same.

Edited by Bruno123
  • Haha 1

banana roti pancakes. 10 or 20 baht pork kebobs.  Khao gi (rice) on the grill with it.  Late night those outdoor hamburger stands on the quieter streets.  Cheeseburger, french fries and a can of coke.  Sitting there relishing being in a foreign land, with not much to worry about.  And of course not hard to chat up with a lady or two.  Those chicken mystery meant doner kabobs with all the topping.  Don't get the russian dressing.  At night they typically store that stuff in the locked up cart and you don't want heated mayonnaise.  Of course just about any of the 30 baht soup places.  Fried rice dishes all over the place so I don't consider them special for street food

Edited by gk10012001
new
  • Haha 2

On 3/31/2022 at 11:55 PM, gargamon said:

Do you run a restaurant? This is the standard nonsense restaurant owners push so the naive will spend more in their shop.

Thai street food is better than many restaurants provide. Cooked right in front of you in many cases, while the restaurants have pots of who knows how old offerings.

I hope this thread has a long life.

The only food poisoning I have ever had in the Kingdom was in a well known foreign owned Western style restaurant in Samui..............street food vendors buy in the morning at market, prepare, cook and sell all in same day...........perfect.......................many inexperienced restaurant owners with poorly trained staff get their stock rotation in a muddle...................................................................................this topic certainly does deserves legs.......................................................

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, bojo said:

The only food poisoning I have ever had in the Kingdom was in a well known foreign owned Western style restaurant in Samui.

I once got a slight dose from Beach food, but to be honest the worst cases came from Indian places in Thailand! 

• Haha 1

JT mentioned Malaysia prior....does anyone know if Char Kwaytiaow is sold anywhere?......................it is particularly delicious at hawker stalls in Penang.............................gotta be my favourite noodle dish of all time........................

• Like 1