thai pass absolute nightmare

On 4/2/2022 at 9:13 AM, Lemsta69 said:

so why let a little form-filling get in your way if you want to take trip somewhere? TP can be a p.i.t.a. but it's not a deal breaker.

my beef is with the cost of the on-arrival RT-PCR test and the chance of being forced into a hospitel at my own expense. I can easily afford both but I begrudge shelling out money if it doesn't bring me any pleasure.

Maybe I’m just becoming cantankerous in my old age, I don’t particularly like the idea of wearing a mask for 15 hours which will be the case if we go to Europe.

I comply and do wear one but find for long periods very uncomfortable.

2 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Maybe I’m just becoming cantankerous in my old age, I don’t particularly like the idea of wearing a mask for 15 hours which will be the case if we go to Europe.

Flew Qatar to Manchester & whilst you had to wear a mask when getting on the plane, it was only recommended (not enforced) that you wear one throughout the flight. 

As an aside, coming back & Manchester Airport was heaving with people (must have been a 2hr queue to get through security) & I'd guesstimate < 1 in 1,000 were wearing a mask. 

2 hours ago, StevieAus said:

If doing something that involves serious exertion, any mask will become uncomfortable. Masks can also be a problem if you have certain kinds of serious health conditions. However, if just sitting quietly in a seat, and in normal health, there is no reason why a mask needs to be uncomfortable. A mask should definitely be less of an issue than earphones (which I will often use for an entire long flight) or glasses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/31/2022 at 6:10 PM, simon43 said:

I applied for the Thaipass 10 days before my flight date.  All correct documents, jpegs etc, and I received my code number.... and that was it!  No QR code was received and I chased up on the email address and contact telephone numbers, but never received any email replies and all support telephone numbers were either out of order or never picked up.

In desperation, I asked my SHA hotel to chase up Thaipass, and I received my QR code within a few hours.  Perhaps it was because I told the hotel that I am a journalist reporting about entering Thailand as a tourist (sometimes a lie can get action from those who are not doing their job efficiently).

Full marks to my hotel (Sawasdee Place) in Pattaya, and nul points for Thaipass....

I wouldn't jump to conclusions so quickly. It's clear that a Thailand Pass application can be approved in less than an hour. If it isn't, it probably means that TP has to wait for something. TP has changed its SOP. It now needs to get confirmation of a paid, nonrefundable T&G reservation directly from your hotel. I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of the delays are due to the hotels.

If your TP application is stuck in limbo, you should check with your hotel that they have really submitted the required information to TP. If they said they did, ask them for the date they did. And it won't hurt to ask them to resend the confirmation to TP.

In the OP's case, it sounds like the hotel is to blame, not TP.

Also, when you submit your materials to TP, they will send back a code. Use that code to verify that your application is in processing.

For those who got a quick QR code, did you provide your details to your hotel before filling out the TP online form?

2 hours ago, 10years said:

I wouldn't jump to conclusions so quickly. It's clear that a Thailand Pass application can be approved in less than an hour

Thanks for your post. 

So this is left field...

Saturday I was chatting with young guy from Oz. 

Just arrived in Bangkok.

Nice guy however seriously dumb as F. 

Asked him about the process for TP. 

Stated was minor. This guy was lucky to find way to toilet and back. .

Is TP all that difficult? 

On 3/31/2022 at 11:43 PM, Polar Bear said:

The Thai Pass is nothing to do with visas. Many of us are already in Thailand, but we want to leave and then return. So it's not at all unusual to apply while you are still in Thailand.

Even if you couldn't figure that out yourself, there was no need to be rude about it.

Hear, hear!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Flew Qatar to Manchester & whilst you had to wear a mask when getting on the plane, it was only recommended (not enforced) that you wear one throughout the flight. 

As an aside, coming back & Manchester Airport was heaving with people (must have been a 2hr queue to get through security) & I'd guesstimate < 1 in 1,000 were wearing a mask. 

Thanks for that update very useful as that is the airline and route intended, but will be later in the year too cold now for us.

59 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

But results are very much a matter of luck.

Trust this is good observation.

All pass requests might have different results, timewise.

My remark to you was not personal, but a general one.

I do not have any experience with the pass.

Residing in Thailand few years already and no plans to leave.

13 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

The question is, is it going to get scrapped, or is it a new normal?

A good question. I suspect the answer revolves around Thailands Emergency Decree and requirements for arrivals to be vaccinated. 

i.e. While Thailand remains under Emergency Decree it can maintain control on arrivals by Thailand the Thailand Pass. 

I suspect a new normal ‘could’ mean Thailand Pass is a continued requirement to distinguish between Vaccinated and non-vaccinated individuals. 

Vaccinated individuals with a Thailand Pass - enter Thailand as normal. 

Non-vaccinated individuals with a Thailand Pass (have ASQ has part of their Thailand Pass application) and have to quarantine for 5 days or so.

Just a guess of course - but thats the way I see this going...  Why ?.... because Thailand wants to ensure that non-vaccinated individuals have a quarantine booked before arrival rather than dealing with the hassle on arrival, Thailand Pass ensures this. 

9 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

other countries with a vaccination or quarantine requirement manage it without anything like the "Thailand Pass" system.

You must show proof of vaccination or quarantine hotel booking on check in for the flight. Re-checked on arrival.

really not hard to enforce - certainly easier than TP.

Indeed! Thailand has, for many years, been able to handle yellow fever vaccination requirements (from places where yellow fever is still endemic) without a complex administrative nightmare. Why should Covid-19 vaccination prove so different?

• Like 2

On 3/31/2022 at 8:06 PM, soi3eddie said:

Not difficult but a little tedious. Get organised, follow the instructions and it's issued with 3-7 working days. I've done it 3 times now. No rejections.

This!

Sadly old buzzards like the OP to proud to admit they can barely locate the on button for their smart phone love to smash the system!

hello EVERYONE logs on to the same website and most cruise through like I did. OP just take your time and read everything properly for goodness sakes!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

A good question. I suspect the answer revolves around Thailands Emergency Decree and requirements for arrivals to be vaccinated. 

i.e. While Thailand remains under Emergency Decree it can maintain control on arrivals by Thailand the Thailand Pass. 

I suspect a new normal ‘could’ mean Thailand Pass is a continued requirement to distinguish between Vaccinated and non-vaccinated individuals. 

Vaccinated individuals with a Thailand Pass - enter Thailand as normal. 

Non-vaccinated individuals with a Thailand Pass (have ASQ has part of their Thailand Pass application) and have to quarantine for 5 days or so.

Just a guess of course - but thats the way I see this going...  Why ?.... because Thailand wants to ensure that non-vaccinated individuals have a quarantine booked before arrival rather than dealing with the hassle on arrival, Thailand Pass ensures this. 

Expand  

other countries with a vaccination or quarantine requirement manage it without anything like the "Thailand Pass" system.

You must show proof of vaccination or quarantine hotel booking on check in for the flight. Re-checked on arrival.

really not hard to enforce - certainly easier than TP.

I absolutely agree... 

However, I answered from the ‘mindset’ of Thai Authorities who hate to relinquish control and in such circumstances instead of making things simpler for all visitors would chose to continued to ‘inconvenience’ everyone so that a handful of non-vaccinated are corralled into quarantine. 

So.. I suspect the ’two tiered’ arrival system under Thailand Pass may continue for a period of time before the whole lot is completely abolished. 

What I believe ’should’ happen is that the Thailand Pass system and all Test & Go is abolished immediately - (for vaccinated and non-vaccinated).

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

certainly easier than TP.

In ‘theory’ the Thailand pass is easy to enforce. 

As with scanning a Boarding Pass, the Thailand Pass is scanned on arrival... (thats why it was set up for the smart phone size / format).

I suspect the idea was that arrivals would be scanned, and those who had to quarantine were sent off in another direction whereas those who did not need to quarantine continued on as normal. 

This is from the perspective of the authorities who would not have given much thought to the difficulties, idiosyncrasies and issues imposed upon the ‘traveler’  - they certainly didn’t give any thought to the negative impact this system would have on tourist numbers.

Edited by richard_smith237

What is the exact format for the following documents required as part of the Thai Pass Registration?

1.    Single page Vaccination Certificate  (I have three separate single page docs each with a QR code, one for each for First, Second and Booster jabs. Presumably the Booster document QR code contains data of the first two.)

2.   Single page USD 20k minimum Insurance Certificate (Some refer to it as 'Health' others as 'Covid'. What is it that the Thai Pass robot expects to see?)

The London Thai Consulate requirements explanation:

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand-during-covid-19-tra?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

3 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

What is the exact format for the following documents required as part of the Thai Pass Registration?

1. You upload the information for each vaccination separately. You can upload individual certificates/codes, or you can upload the same one multiple times if they are all on the same certificate. 

2. They want it to specifically say it covers COVID for at least $20k or equivalent. If it doesn't say that, ask them for a letter confirming it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

1. You upload the information for each vaccination separately. You can upload individual certificates/codes, or you can upload the same one multiple times if they are all on the same certificate. 

2. They want it to specifically say it covers COVID for at least $20k or equivalent. If it doesn't say that, ask them for a letter confirming it. 

As always, some concise and accurate information Polar Bear... 

An additional point, perhaps a little naughty for some - editing PDF’s to meet ‘check-box’ requirements.

I have excellent insurance through my company (recently started), in patent, out patient, world wide, cover for pre-existing conditions and all illnesses...   But the certificate of cover does not specifically state ‘cover for conditions related to or resulting from covid’.... 

.... So, I edited the PDF certificate to state that.....  The silliness of all this simply forces us to join in and play the came (note Thailand Pass application accepted). 

• Haha 2

Thanks polar bear

I understand now that I can upload the individual vaccine certificates, 3 for me and 3 for my wife. I shall instruct my team of foresters in the Amazon to continue felling trees to supply paper. ????

It's a pity the Thai Consulate instructions don't specify 'COVID' insurance cover and not just 'Health' ????

• Like 1