No positive Thailand stories on here and expat mental health

2 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

I don't think that's the whole story. Forgive me, I can't remember your nationality, but in the UK where I'm from, it's a part of the culture to go into some office of the civil service or some QUANGO and jab your finger repeatedly on the counter while making your complaint, and then taking a deep breath, and continuing with "AND ANOTHER THING!. . ."

Obviously, there is no outlet here for folk like this. Not having that outlet eats away at the soul of some people.

I got a Fawlty Tower picture in my head now! 

6 hours ago, TheScience said:

To be fair covid, covid hysteria, politics post 2014 (2006), general economic malaise (2006). Tourist hordes pre covid. Visas, immigration hassles. Lots to legitimately moan about.

Any of it clearly better that I've simply overlooked?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in but it's getting worse not better. Stop being Pollyanna's.

Why denigrate Pollyanna? What's wrong with wanting to be happy and looking for the good in life?

People that don't like Pollyanna must enjoy being miserable, IMO.

9 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

I don't think that's the whole story. Forgive me, I can't remember your nationality, but in the UK where I'm from, it's a part of the culture to go into some office of the civil service or some QUANGO and jab your finger repeatedly on the counter while making your complaint, and then taking a deep breath, and continuing with "AND ANOTHER THING!. . ."

Obviously, there is no outlet here for folk like this. Not having that outlet eats away at the soul of some people.

Maybe that would help. ???? 

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Most of us need someplace to vent. We could talk about the nice neighbor, or the hilarious taxi driver, but not particularly amusing. 

Nearly every time I see someone complaining, or observing a shortfall within Thailand, some guy, who has not taken the time to think things through, nor to devote any focus or effort to a reasonable reply, says something like "Perhaps Thailand is not for you", or maybe you should leave, or the top prize, "if you do not like it here, go back to your own country". Hard to even respond to such statements. Why? Because I have some issues with the place? Sorry to inform you, but the nature of a discerning mind, is to have issues. 

Though absolute contentment must be a beautiful state of mind, it is not something most of us are blessed with, in case you have not noticed. The fact that I complain, does not mean I do not love Thailand, nor most of it's people. I do. I love my life here. I have a very good life here. But, I do have some complaints, and there are some things I would love to see improved. 

And my "mental health issues" are no worse than the next guy. These are trying times, in case you have not noticed. 

I could not agree more with what you say. This is really a nice and sincere post.

I just might add that what I believe makes people the mostly sick might not always be the circumstances itself but the absurd and harmful (cause not thought out well) changes with probably drastic impact on expat lives and especially their unnecessary frequency of change.

It is the uncertainty and anticipation for the worse that kills the mood and could even lead to desperation. Could you imagine how nice it could be if those were all changes for good and you could look forward to new regulations that simplify your life instead of fearing that anything new would make it worse or even impossible as is the tendency now ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

"if you do not like it here, go back to your own country". Hard to even respond to such statements. Why? Because I have some issues with the place? ....

... The fact that I complain, does not mean I do not love Thailand, nor most of it's people. I do. I love my life here. I have a very good life here. But, I do have some complaints, and there are some things I would love to see improved. 

Yea ... I got that yesterday, and just added him to my 'ignore list'  ... ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm surprised that there aren't more complaints on here about home countries.

The expats I've met tend to complain about their home countries as being completely dysfunctional nanny states.

Thais are in complete disbelief when I tell them about the level of dysfunction that we have in many Western countries, particularly the US.

It can be therapeutic to list the many ways in which Thailand is better than your home country, and to complain about the West. So here are some horrific things in the West that you don't have to worry about in Thailand.

1. Handsome young guy playing a guitar to a random woman in a Western country? Cops called (video link below). Is this even possible in Thailand?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMd3tAVmyFk

2. In the West, men are paranoid of getting sued for sexual harassment at the workplace. Asking out a woman for dinner can be seen as grounds for termination, and your entire career is then ruined for good. But Thais think that the workplace is where guys get their mia nois and people sleep around.

3. In the West, you can't change the color of your front door, or else the municipal authorities will say that you are "ruining the character of the neighborhood" and will force you to make your house look exactly like everyone else's McMansion. Fines, unpleasant phone calls, angry neighbors, and way more. But in Thailand, unique and weird houses are always just around the corner.

4. In the West, you can get sued into bankruptcy if someone trips on a rock in front of your house. Unimaginable in Thailand.

5. In some Western countries, especially the US, people call the cops all the time for the most trivial reasons. Baby crying, dog barking, black guy walking down the street? Cops called.

6. Don't forget about how it's so much harder to find food in the suburbs of the US, Canada, or Australia. Street vending is illegal, so everyone is forced to drive to a big boring supermarket to buy food. If you try to sell lemonade in front of your house, you'll get the cops called on you. What if Auntie Noi decides to sell Som Tam around the corner to feed those hungry residents in the cul-de-sac? Big beefy cops with their Ford Crown Victorias will arrive in no time to make sure that she never does this again in her lifetime.

7. Insane cost of living. Taxes and more taxes in the West. But tax in Thailand? No stress, easy-peasy.

8. Gangstas, graffiti, violent people everywhere in the West. You don't have to worry about street gangs spraying graffiti all over your neighborhood in Thailand as gun battles rage on. On average, people are so much better behaved in Thailand.

Too many pointless stickler rules in the West!

But in Thailand, you are free and happy.

People generally don't want trouble and will try to find compromises to situations. Krengjai rules here, rather than Western paranoia, rules, and lawsuits.

Hope I made you all feel better!

Edited by RamenRaven
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, moogradod said:

I could not agree more with what you say. This is really a nice and sincere post.

I just might add that what I believe makes people the mostly sick might not always be the circumstances itself but the absurd and harmful (cause not thought out well) changes with probably drastic impact on expat lives and especially their unnecessary frequency of change.

It is the uncertainty and anticipation for the worse that kills the mood and could even lead to desperation. Could you imagine how nice it could be if those were all changes for good and you could look forward to new regulations that simplify your life instead of fearing that anything new would make it worse or even impossible as is the tendency now ?

Very much in agreement with that. I believe the administration wants us all gone, and views us as a threat. We are a damaging force. We compel Thai women to think outside the box, something that is to be discouraged, at all costs.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Most of us need someplace to vent. We could talk about the nice neighbor, or the hilarious taxi driver, but not particularly amusing. 

Nearly every time I see someone complaining, or observing a shortfall within Thailand, some guy, who has not taken the time to think things through, nor to devote any focus or effort to a reasonable reply, says something like "Perhaps Thailand is not for you", or maybe you should leave, or the top prize, "if you do not like it here, go back to your own country". Hard to even respond to such statements. Why? Because I have some issues with the place? Sorry to inform you, but the nature of a discerning mind, is to have issues. 

Though absolute contentment must be a beautiful state of mind, it is not something most of us are blessed with, in case you have not noticed. The fact that I complain, does not mean I do not love Thailand, nor most of it's people. I do. I love my life here. I have a very good life here. But, I do have some complaints, and there are some things I would love to see improved. 

And my "mental health issues" are no worse than the next guy. These are trying times, in case you have not noticed. 

I disagree about every negative comment gets a Thailand not for you reply. It's very rare simply because people don't like getting bashed and at times it's like a pack of wolves mentality.

Having said that the hard core bashers that are hitting every thread and we all know who they are deserve the " go the <deleted> home comments" it's no secret that the rare positive threads only last a couple of pages 

It's all very unique to this forum. I've never seen such toxicity in Australia or European forums 

Edited by whereyougo

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

How does copying and pasting the same routine constitute venting? I might not have quite the discerning mind and maybe too much rose colored glasses but I've got a good memory and know when I've read the same thing for the umpteenth time.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1246569-anutin-rants-on-marijuana-he-says-people-are-free-to-grow-it-law-says-its-not-a-narcotic-promises-to-defend-anyone-arrested/?do=findComment&comment=17117123

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RamenRaven said:

It can be therapeutic to list the many ways in which Thailand is better than your home country, and to complain about the West.

Thailand pros;

1. low to non existent RE Taxes = extra pocket money

2. Affordable & accessible healthcare = longer, healthier life

USA cons;

1. high taxes (relative), apparently lower than EU & UK

2. Silly healthcare cost, and nobody would argue that

3. Nanny & PC state ... don't like being told how to, even though I ignore all

That's all ... relative to myself & why I'm here and not there

Wasn't that therapeutic ... still feel the same, any refund ????

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, whereyougo said:

I disagree about every negative comment gets a Thailand not for you reply. It's very rare simply because people don't like getting bashed and at times it's like a pack of wolves mentality.

Having said that the hard core bashers that are hitting every thread and we all know who they are deserve the " go the <deleted> home comments" it's no secret that the rare positive threads only last a couple of pages 

It's all very unique to this forum. I've never seen such toxicity in Australia or European forums 

Im thinking about the bashers social life where they sit and talk negative about Thailand in front of thais, be it wife, kids, family and friends. Thailand is not perfect, but it is the best non democratic or call it a dictatorship with possibilities for everyone who want to work, and think a bit further than next day, next month or just next year. Great infrastructure they continuous investing in, life can be cheap if you do not spend money you do not have, and of course talking about thais, but as foreigners little money still get you a decent life. Problems with visa, yeah it can be a struggle if you can not meet their requirements. 

I love my home country, and there is many faults about my country that could had been better, but still the best country for most of their people. I can complain about things i see is wrong, but hate when foreigners or new countrymen start bashing it, and talk negative about it. Then i just tell them, they have other options and are welcome to leave. I do not believe in Perfect countries, every country have their wrongs, but most of us here have a choice.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hummin said:

Im thinking about the bashers social life where they sit and talk negative about Thailand in front of thais, be it wife, kids, family and friends. Thailand is not perfect, but it is the best non democratic or call it a dictatorship with possibilities for everyone who want to work, and think a bit further than next day, next month or just next year. Great infrastructure they continuous investing in, life can be cheap if you do not spend money you do not have, and of course talking about thais, but as foreigners little money still get you a decent life. Problems with visa, yeah it can be a struggle if you can not meet their requirements. 

I love my home country, and there is many faults about my country that could had been better, but still the best country for most of their people. I can complain about things i see is wrong, but hate when foreigners or new countrymen start bashing it, and talk negative about it. Then i just tell them, they have other options and are welcome to leave. I do not believe in Perfect countries, every country have their wrongs, but most of us here have a choice.

I hate my home country. Full of bogans and racists. All about image. Too many silly rules. Women are fat and butch. 

6 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

same--on the rock with lime

Here here! Sang Som on the rocks with lime and tempered with just a little coke. GF says "reng maak" and turns her nose up at it. Cheap fix too. Glad 7-11 doesn't start selling until 5pm ???? 

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1

Well it's a slow day following all the SongKran excitement. I know what we need to enliven our spirits. Toga Party? No.

How about another well reasoned post about why Prayut, Anutin and company should all resign on the spot? Yesterday would have been better. That's always a big boost to ones composure and morale.

22 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Here here! Sang Som on the rocks with lime and tempered with just a little coke. GF says "reng maak" and turns her nose up at it. Cheap fix too. Glad 7-11 doesn't start selling until 5pm ???? 

we are in the same boat!  the thais i try to share it with look at me like im crazy......

but im a ginger ale guy----so either ginger ale--SS+lime or SS on the rocks with lime

coke is too sweet and the caffeine+SS mix is trouble!

now to get into the SS varieties! Premium blue label and Similan!   95bt for Similan 110 for Premium!....i rarely drink reg SS.....im old school and the bottles are 14+ yrs aged!!!  Hiso!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

we are in the same boat!  the thais i try to share it with look at me like im crazy......

but im a ginger ale guy----so either ginger ale--SS+lime or SS on the rocks with lime

coke is too sweet and the caffeine+SS mix is trouble!

now to get into the SS varieties! Premium blue label and Similan!   95bt for Similan 110 for Premium!....i rarely drink reg SS.....im old school and the bottles are 14+ yrs aged!!!  Hiso!

Thanks. I'm going to look for the other SangSom varieties - never seen. Maybe Villa Market has them. As for the Coke, it's always Zero so not really sweet.

17 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Thanks. I'm going to look for the other SangSom varieties - never seen. Maybe Villa Market has them. As for the Coke, it's always Zero so not really sweet.

If a fan of SS, then you may want to up your game.  Though does get mixed reviews.

Has won a few awards.  Use to be produced for export only, then I saw it last year

available in Thailand, but a bit pricey.  Not sure is still available here

Untitled1.png

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If a fan of SS, then you may want to up your game.  Though does get mixed reviews.

Has won a few awards.  Use to be produced for export only, then I saw it last year

available in Thailand, but a bit pricey.  Not sure is still available here

Untitled1.png

I wonder if the distillery offers tours. Can see a road trip ahead that way (want to go back to Kanchanburi anyway). Either way, will see if this can be sourced. I did see a (somewhat contraversial) YouTuber doing a film on Thai Rum a few years ago but forgot where.

On 4/18/2022 at 2:57 PM, moogradod said:

A lovely sentiment, but in my experience things only get worse. Eg banks no longer offer the services they used to; my local bank recently went to 2 days a week despite company earning billions in profit, and have to ring or do things on line instead of with a person in the bank. It's blatant greed.

The worship of money is everywhere and it's making our lives bad IMO.

Re Thailand, I used to be able to get 90 days on arrival and could renew with a border trip indefinitely. Hardly the case now.

On 4/19/2022 at 1:09 AM, Sparktrader said:

I hate my home country. Full of bogans and racists. All about image. Too many silly rules. Women are fat and butch. 

While I don't "hate" home country, agree with some of what you say. Far as I can see, femininity is long gone and strident feminism is in. I miss the cute feminine Thai girls.

Full of woke and PC people or gangsters and antisocial creeps. I never felt as much at risk of harm in LOS.

On 4/18/2022 at 5:53 PM, spidermike007 said:

Very much in agreement with that. I believe the administration wants us all gone, and views us as a threat. We are a damaging force. We compel Thai women to think outside the box, something that is to be discouraged, at all costs.

While I disagree they want us "gone" they are certainly making it as hard as possible to stay.

If they really wanted us gone it would be easy to do so- just require 2 million baht in the bank permanently to renew extension, or such like.

I don't think they care about us as much as you think they do. I doubt they spend any time thinking about expats, other than getting as much money out of them as possible.

On 4/18/2022 at 12:53 PM, spidermike007 said:

Sorry, but I disagree with just about every word you said.  Truthfully, most Thais don't even spend a second thinking about what foreigners do in Thailand.  Unless they happen to run into one, and even then, it's an afterthought.  And no, the administration does not want us all gone.  They do not view us as a threat.  Paranoid much? 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Sorry, but I disagree with just about every word you said.  Truthfully, most Thais don't even spend a second thinking about what foreigners do in Thailand.  Unless they happen to run into one, and even then, it's an afterthought.  And no, the administration does not want us all gone.  They do not view us as a threat.  Paranoid much? 

His post is the perfect example of declining expat mental health. When exposed to constant anti thai sentiment leading to extreme paranoia 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

can find the similan and SS premium at the mom n pop shops   check the stamp on the inside label-----14+ yrs old.....should be 100 small--under 200 large bottles---the premium is smooth!

• Thanks 1