Fatalities, low vaccination of elderly matters of concern ahead of Songkran

snoop1130

Thai-PBS-World-logo-54.png

A health worker prepares a dose of the Pfizer vaccine for the Covid-19 coronavirus for high school students at Prachaniwet Secondary School in Bangkok on October 4, 2021. Lillian SUWANRUMPHA / AFP

Thailand’s Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) is concerned about the COVID-19 fatality rate in the Northeast, which is higher than in other regions, and the low vaccination rate among the elderly, said CCSA Spokesman Dr. Taweesin Visanuyothin.

He said that 93% of fatalities are among the over 60s, especially in the north-eastern region, and many of them are afflicted with underlying diseases.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The three-dose vaccination rate among the elderly is still only 37%, while the remainder are yet to be inoculated or have fewer than three doses. Only about 1.9% of children between 5 and 11 have received two doses.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/fatalities-low-vaccination-of-elderly-matters-of-concern-ahead-of-songkran/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-04-08

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Do these elderly people actually know that they need vaccinations? I suspect that many live in rural districts and are not aware of the severity, no mobile phone and no TV.

The government should mount a campaign sending people to each village/town going door to door as if it was a political campaign. There are plenty of volunteers for political campaigns why not use them for this?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, RobU said:

I suspect that many live in rural districts and are not aware of the severity, no mobile phone and no TV.

Haha, where do you think they are living, in the Amazon rainforest? Of course they have mobile phones and TVs.

33 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

From where I am sitting in the north-east, those elderly have adult children and those adult children tell them till they have turned blue, but do they listen.

A classic example is my wife's grandmother who is in her 80's, her response is spitting out the red tobacco with a smile (classic), as for her parents who are in their mid 60's, mother is overweight, high blood pressure and father no know issues, they are all sort of like the Beverly Hill Billies, and I got the daughter, yeeha.

I said to my wife, you can take em to water, but.....and she knows the rest, I wash my hands she said, now you get it, up to them Krup. 

The Beverly Hillbillies wallpapers, TV Show, HQ The Beverly Hillbillies  pictures | 4K Wallpapers 2019

Your post is very valid, my fiance is in the north Eastern region she is 56 and was reluctant to go for a third vaccination she said the new version of Covid was just like flu. I kept pestering her and telling her that flu also kills and usually kills older people until she finally gave in and got the 3rd vaccination. I put my statement about elederly not knowing, just as devil's advocate to encourage evidential responses like yours

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Haha, where do you think they are living, in the Amazon rainforest? Of course they have mobile phones and TVs.

My fiances son is 30, lives in the north east and cannot afford a phone or a TV and neither can many others in the village

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, RobU said:

Your post is very valid, my fiance is in the north Eastern region she is 56 and was reluctant to go for a third vaccination she said the new version of Covid was just like flu. I kept pestering her and telling her that flu also kills and usually kills older people until she finally gave in and got the 3rd vaccination. I put my statement about elederly not knowing, just as devil's advocate to encourage evidential responses like yours

My wife is also due for her 3rd shot and I am gently nudging her, as you say the flu also kills, I posted a reply in another post, just over 100,000 people died of Influenza and Pneumonia in Thailand in 2021 which makes Covid look mild considering only 25,000 odd have died from it since 2020 when it unleased in Thailand.

I have had 3 doses of Pfizer, the wife 2 and am not really into a 4th due to the strain being less lethal so to speak but might go and get my annual influenza jab, with the wife, as for Pneumonia, I had my booster last year so am good for another 5 years.

It's amazing that things are going the way they are going, we are all needing more different types of vaccinations to at least try and stay ahead of the sentence which could be handed down at any particular moment.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

My wife is also due for her 3rd shot and I am gently nudging her, as you say the flu also kills, I posted a reply in another post, just over 100,000 people died of Influenza and Pneumonia in Thailand in 2021 which makes Covid look mild considering only 25,000 odd have died from it since 2020 when it unleased in Thailand.

I have had 3 doses of Pfizer, the wife 2 and am not really into a 4th due to the strain being less lethal so to speak but might go and get my annual influenza jab, with the wife, as for Pneumonia, I had my booster last year so am good for another 5 years.

It's amazing that things are going the way they are going, we are all needing more different types of vaccinations to at least try and stay ahead of the sentence which could be handed down at any particular moment.

If you are in the 'elderly' range it is only less lethal if you're fully vaccinated because you can still get covid after you are vaccinated. Here in the UK a fourth vaccination is only being offered to over 75's and immune compromised. My feeling is take everything that is offered to protect yourself

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RobU said:

If you are in the 'elderly' range it is only less lethal if you're fully vaccinated because you can still get covid after you are vaccinated. Here in the UK a fourth vaccination is only being offered to over 75's and immune compromised. My feeling is take everything that is offered to protect yourself

I'm 62 with a pre-existing condition (stent), so don't know about a 4th at them moment, but the annual flu jab definitely, will ask the doc when the time comes whether the 4th should be taken as I seriously haven't researched it, been Covid brain free for a while and feels good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris.B said:

Has she told you about the sick buffalo yet? ????????

???????????????????? What are you talking about? Your post is incomprehesible and verging on Trolling

8 hours ago, malibukid said:

they don't give a toss about old people

It's a global phenomenon, or at least in most modern and developing societies. I first experienced ageism at 39. I passed a telephone interview for an IT position with flying colors. I was then I was asked to email my CV (resume). The response was:

"Oh! We're so sorry; we had no idea you were that old. We're ideally looking for younger talent, someone who can bring a fresh perspective with no set ways to our young, dynamic business." 

Aside from parents and grandparents, most younger people don't like or respect their elders anymore. They see them as doddery, inconvenient, and a drain on society. Some youths even think they should be offered a peaceful pill on their 50th birthday. But I'm sure they will have a different opinion when they reach the big five-oh.

So, I doubt many people are bothered about the elderly dying of COVID outside the immediate family circle.

13 hours ago, RobU said:

Do these elderly people actually know that they need vaccinations? I suspect that many live in rural districts and are not aware of the severity, no mobile phone and no TV.

The government should mount a campaign sending people to each village/town going door to door as if it was a political campaign. There are plenty of volunteers for political campaigns why not use them for this?

You have a point. For the elderly getting transport to clinics is perhaps a difficulty. Most do not like to ask for help. And it is often not forthcoming from their offspring, who are at work all day. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

You have a point. For the elderly getting transport to clinics is perhaps a difficulty. Most do not like to ask for help. And it is often not forthcoming from their offspring, who are at work all day. 

Yes, I understand that the biggest problem is the north east Issan region which is very poor compared to the south many work 12 hour shifts on plantations and farms often staying on the farm in barracks because they cannot afford their own transport. Many, like my fiance's 30 year old son cannot afford mobile phones or TV's and the associated monthly contracts

13 hours ago, RobU said:

Many, like my fiance's 30 year old son cannot afford mobile phones or TV's and the associated monthly contracts

Well my Mrs family seem to do better, their TV is one of my cast-offs, the channels supplied by a  cheap dish rigged up on 'freeview'....and they all seem to manage to have a phone.... not the latest overpriced offering from Samsung or Apple of course. 

I feel fortunate that all my Thai relatives in Thailand have had at least 2 shots, and the older ones 

have gotten their 3rd booster. Some of them had a 4th shot, but it was the Chinese vaccine, and none of them

wanted anything to do with that brand, when Pfizer and Moderna showed up in the country. One of the 20

year old.s was a hold out, until they got sick and were hospitalized, and luckily survived, after that the rest of

the family got all their shots, including the sick one.  People are still dying even from the weaker Omicron and the newest variant,

so the COVID reset is still happening.