How to copy Android box to USB

Mavideol

Have an Android box that's acting up slow start, slow operating and want to do a factory Re-Set, however I do have some Apps and files that I would like to copy/ save to a USB drive to re-install some of them.

Is there a way to change the Android box settings to allow the USB port that is there (I connected a mouse to it and use it instead of remote control) to be used in different ways

Thanks

Any Android File manager will allow you to copy files, including APKs, to a memory stick inserted in  the USB socket.  You might have to use the remote control if you lose your mouse doing this so not ideal, but someone else may have a solution to that.

• Thanks 1

Related - I have 2 android boxes and carry the newest with me between Thailand and the UK.  I'd have to check the storage/memory size of older box but on the basis that it is suitable - my question is: can I copy the entire content of the newer box onto the old one?

My apologies if it seems a stupid question - I'm a tech user, not a techie.

3 hours ago, treetops said:

Any Android File manager will allow you to copy files, including APKs, to a memory stick inserted in  the USB socket.  You might have to use the remote control if you lose your mouse doing this so not ideal, but someone else may have a solution to that.

that's what I was thinking about but how to highlight the files with the remote as mine appears to have a memory of it's own

3 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Go to settings.

Select storage.

Select the appropriate USB stick that you want downloads to go.

I connected the box to my laptop and it doesn't recognize, thought it may requires some settings to be changed but which ones.... maybe I didn't understood your comment, should I understand that I don't have to use the laptop to copy and can do it from the box itself, that would great

Edited by Mavideol

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Related - I have 2 android boxes and carry the newest with me between Thailand and the UK.  I'd have to check the storage/memory size of older box but on the basis that it is suitable - my question is: can I copy the entire content of the newer box onto the old one?

My apologies if it seems a stupid question - I'm a tech user, not a techie.

I don't need to copy all the contents, just some apps as some have been removed from the store and my box has the latest version

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Also. If you don't have the original .apk installation files you may find Apk Extractor useful.

Find it in the Play Store.

When I purchased the box the seller at my request added some files, quite a few, and apps for me to choose from and install as needed, thus I don't have the APK as he provided links and an installer with such files, he created folders and placed the stuff inside, I want to keep/copy these folders as it has M3U files for IPTV if not copy them some service wouldn't work and I can't ask for these files from the guy as he may want to get more money

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

do it from the box itself

In most android boxes you'll see an option for storage.  If box recognizes the USB stick it'll give you that option to change it from internal to USB storage.

You'll need to format the USB stick.

Check out Troypoint.com website.

Great for anyone who is interested in streaming.  Great tutorials dspite to the advertising its very useful!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mavideol said:

I don't need to copy all the contents,

Maybe not but I'd like to replicate my box and want to know if I can simply copy them across?  Many of the Apps on my original box no longer work and the seller of that box doesn't seem interested.  The new one updates all TV and Movie channels each time I switch it on but I do pay a small (considering what I get) yearly subscription.  I just don't want to risk carrying it back and forth between the UK and Thailand.

I'm guessing it would involve setting up partitions etc. - probably beyond me.

21 hours ago, Mavideol said:

Have an Android box

What is the make/model/firmware version/Android version?

There are different techniques to backup and restore based on the hardware and current firmware.

Some involve the use of TWRP.

These can potentially brick the box.

Is there any backup/restore option in the UI?

• Like 1

Insert a USB or micro card into existing android box.  Download cx explorer from play store.

Ensure the USB/ micro card is set up as external when formatting.

Select  all apps from your existing android box main storage and click " copy" within the cx explorer.

Then click on sd card/ usb storage and paste.

Remove sdcard/USB.   Place into other android box.  Make sure you have cx explorer installed on second box.

Click on continue explorer/ sd card/,usb storage   select all apps/ select copy.  Click back onto  main storage in cx explorer and click paste. 

Job done.

You can then reset the old box to factory standard and reinsert your USB.  Download cx explorer if not already done and copy back all your apps as shown above to main storage.

Edited by Raindancer
Additional information.
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

In most android boxes you'll see an option for storage.  If box recognizes the USB stick it'll give you that option to change it from internal to USB storage.

You'll need to format the USB stick.

Check out Troypoint.com website.

Great for anyone who is interested in streaming.  Great tutorials dspite to the advertising its very useful!

thanks it worked fine, did it files copied, thanks for great advise

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

What is the make/model/firmware version/Android version?

There are different techniques to backup and restore based on the hardware and current firmware.

Some involve the use of TWRP.

These can potentially brick the box.

Is there any backup/restore option in the UI?

thanks for your help, I did completed  the copies as the box recognized the USB but had to format it,  thanks again

6 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Are Android settings & apps not automatically backed up to your Google Account, same as a phone

didn't chose that option as it kept asking for  cloud/drive account something that I was not interested on and I only needed some files to be copied not the apps

5 hours ago, Raindancer said:

Insert a USB or micro card into existing android box.  Download cx explorer from play store.

Ensure the USB/ micro card is set up as external when formatting.

Select  all apps from your existing android box main storage and click " copy" within the cx explorer.

Then click on sd card/ usb storage and paste.

Remove sdcard/USB.   Place into other android box.  Make sure you have cx explorer installed on second box.

Click on continue explorer/ sd card/,usb storage   select all apps/ select copy.  Click back onto  main storage in cx explorer and click paste. 

Job done.

You can then reset the old box to factory standard and reinsert your USB.  Download cx explorer if not already done and copy back all your apps as shown above to main storage.

thanks, did my copies already with a different option but will keep you advise for any future actions, does the CX explorer works with all versions of Android as my box has Android TV version 10 and sometimes can't find apps on the google store it says ""this app not compatible with your device""  for example I was using the ES File Explorer and couldn't download it as not available for my box

Edited by Mavideol

4 hours ago, Mavideol said:

thanks, did my copies already with a different option but will keep you advise for any future actions, does the CX explorer works with all versions of Android as my box has Android TV version 10 and sometimes can't find apps on the google store it says ""this app not compatible with your device""  for example I was using the ES File Explorer and couldn't download it as not available for my box

You can sideload es explorer and cx explorer.  Just Google es explorer apk and cs explorer apk.  They will or should work on any Android OS  box.  Or indeed Android TV operating system boxes.

Most apk stores like apk pure or mirror have these.

Failing that, install downloader from troypoint and then install his Rapid App Installer.   He has most things on this Rapid App installer. 

If you get stuck, just let me know.

Edited by Raindancer
Additional information
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Mavideol said:

did my copies already

What files or file types did you copy?

You did a factory reset on the box?

Then copied the files back?

And everything works as before, except no "... acting up slow start, slow operating:?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

What files or file types did you copy?

You did a factory reset on the box?  YES

Then copied the files back?  YES some

And everything works as before, except no "... acting up slow start, slow operating:?

all good, only needed some personal/confidential files.... start is back to normal and so is the operating