Thailand Pass and Specified Flights

Keeps

Hi all,

I am a long time reader but very new member. I am hoping that I can obtain some specific helpful advice via this site.

I have booked flights to Bangkok during June 2022 after a 2+ year absence. The airline in question is now stating that they are waiting to hear from head office whether they will be flying this route during June. I have spoken to their local ticketing office once a week for the last 3 weeks and same response. If I decide to cancel there is considerable expense involved so I have no choice but to wait for their decision. My question is if I obtained the Thailand Pass am I restricted to travelling on the ticket that I submitted when applying for the Pass or would I be able to travel on the SAME dates with an alternative airline without reapplying or notifying Thailand Pass?

Apologies in advance if I have not posted under the correct forum etc. I am still feeling my way around having not posted previously.

Any helpful replies very much appreciated

Thanks Joe. I do not plan on applying for the pass now but would like to at the start of May. I may not have had a definitive decision from the airline by then hence the question. I'd like to know from members whether anyone has experienced this scenario and arrived at the airport with a flight ticket other than that used for applying for the Thailand Pass. but travelling within validity of the Thai Pass (up to 72 hours after original flight?)

I appreciate the entry rules are a moving feast. My flight is on 1st June so any new rules applying from them may not be formally announced until 31st May? It could be the case that I have to jump through certain hoops prior to 1st June although they may no longer apply on the day of my flight.

Thanks again

43 minutes ago, Keeps said:

I have booked flights to Bangkok during June 2022 after a 2+ year absence. The airline in question is now stating that they are waiting to hear from head office whether they will be flying this route during June. I have spoken to their local ticketing office once a week for the last 3 weeks and same response. If I decide to cancel there is considerable expense involved so I have no choice but to wait for their decision.

It's outrageous of the Airline to sell a ticket on a flight they cannot confirm will flight and hold you financially hostage.

- You can’t cancel, you will incur cancellation fees. 

- You can’t book a separate flight in advance for good price because you may still be stuck with your original flight. 

Which Airline is it - this will help others avoid ending up in the same predicament. 

18 months ago I purchased a Qatar Airways ticket, then found out they were not flying to BKK at all - they were cancelling every (officially) flight 2 days before the flight, they knew a month in advance that my flight would not be flying but would not cancel my ticket. 

The ticketing office even said the flight was not cancelled, I asked what happened to every flight into Bangkok this passed week... Cancelled.

What about tomorrows flight, cancelled.

The day after, cancelled.

In 3 days time, that flight is still on. 

I had no choice but to book a ticket with another Airline (Eva repatriation flight to Bangkok). 

Qatar Airways cancelled my flight 2 days before the ticketed date - It took 5 months to refund. 

43 minutes ago, Keeps said:

My question is if I obtained the Thailand Pass am I restricted to travelling on the ticket that I submitted when applying for the Pass or would I be able to travel on the SAME dates with an alternative airline without reapplying or notifying Thailand Pass?

Regarding this specific point: 

You do not submit a ticket to Thailand Pass. 

You only need to know your travel date (which you list on the Thailand Pass submission).

When you book a Test&Go hotel, they will want to know your flight details, you will be able to adjust this - its only for the hotel pick-up.

Also note: That you can enter within 72hrs (3 days) of the date stated on your Thailand Pass.

That said: As UbonJoe wrote - there really is no need to make any application now. 

In two months time Thailand Pass may be a thing of the past. 

Apply two to three weeks in advance and you’ll be fine. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

Thanks Richard. Your first paragraph is the exact conversation I had with the airline this morning. Their response was complete indifference. It is EVA Air. They are undecided whether to operate the route during June and July despite until recently showing the route on their website and accepting bookings.

EVA also left me in the lurch when I was in Thailand when the pandemic first broke in April 2020. They cancelled my flight to London via a brief email and no further assistance in providing an alternative. Eventually a friend in the UK managed to change my booking to one of the few days they were flying and that involved a 2 and half hour telephone wait. I have used the airline for many years and am a Gold Card member but seems it counts for very little. The only reason I booked with them this time is because I had a large number of reward points to use or lose.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the Thailand Pass. I thought you did have to submit a booked and paid for flight ticket so that is very useful info. I should be able to obtain an alternative flight on the same day should I need to so I can still apply for the Pass. I shall wait until the next round of announcements at the start of May but would really like to get matters sorted shortly after.

Thanks for your assistance