Stories of suffering and struggle reveal tragic side of Thailand’s ageing society

webfact

Thailand-aging-society_web.jpg

Workers under the Mirror Foundation’s Work From Homeless project take a short break in Minburi, Bangkok. (Photo courtesy of Mirror Foundation)

Eighty-year-old Chalong does not just sit at home waiting for his monthly government subsidy payment. Instead, he keeps himself busy doing odd jobs four days a week.

“What I want more than state assistance is a job,” the octogenarian says. “I want to make a living. I prefer using money I have earned myself.”

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Chalong does not just have himself to support, but also his physically challenged daughter.

“I had been homeless for nearly a decade until the Mirror Foundation accepted me as part of its ‘Work from Homeless’ project. Now I’m able to rent a room and look after my daughter,” the poor but proud father said.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/stories-of-suffering-and-struggle-reveal-tragic-side-of-thailands-ageing-society/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-04-13

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Read the thaipbs article.

About three decades ago, his wife passed away, then some 20 years ago he had to retire. He said he was able to live with his in-laws for about 10 years after his wife’s death but eventually had to move out because it was not his house. Chalong ended up on the street, sleeping in shrines or other public spaces.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This is a greater problem if the younger generation has to work "husband + wife" to secure a decent income.....and without social welfare as in most EU countries.

In the old days each household had enough children to have a few available to take care of the older generation but this is no longer the case.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

Yup, some of your wealthy expats should consider yourselves very fortunate. Living

in a tropical country and enjoying your retirement.

I do consider myself fortunate, although I would not say I am wealthy. Compared to a rural Thai, maybe, but I'd be living in a tent in Australia.

If you are trying to send me on a guilt trip, I got off a few bus stops ago.