Border run to Malaysia

I have seen announcements from some of the previous visa run companies in Phuket that they intend restarting their service in the fairly near future. As far as I know, none have yet done so.

There is not much risk in doing a border bounce by yourself for a visa exempt entry, as long as you have not already used your permitted two by land in a calendar year, and have the requisite cash in case (not unlikely) they ask to see it.

EDIT: Note, of course, that you will need a Thailand Pass and also must ensure you satisfy the Covid requirements for entering Malaysia.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1

The risk is testing Positive on return and confined to AQ Hotel for 7 days at circa 50k baht total. 

Air visa run cost circa 20-25k ? Subject to visa status, for same approx. cost, you might get an Agent 12 month No Financial Retirement Extension. . 

On 4/13/2022 at 1:19 PM, BritTim said:

I have seen announcements from some of the previous visa run companies in Phuket that they intend restarting their service in the fairly near future. As far as I know, none have yet done so.

There is not much risk in doing a border bounce by yourself for a visa exempt entry, as long as you have not already used your permitted two by land in a calendar year, and have the requisite cash in case (not unlikely) they ask to see it.

EDIT: Note, of course, that you will need a Thailand Pass and also must ensure you satisfy the Covid requirements for entering Malaysia.

When doing a ‘visa run’ over the land border, does one have to enter the Malaysian side ?

Years ago, we used to play golf just over the Sadao border in no-mans land at Black Forest.

We’d get stamped out of Thailand, then stamped back in when we re-entered. 

(not sure if thats still possible now). 

When entering at a ‘land border’ how is the Test & Go being handled with land entry from Malaysia ?

Is it only at one single border and use of a single hotel etc? 

20 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

The risk is testing Positive on return and confined to AQ Hotel for 7 days at circa 50k baht total. 

Air visa run cost circa 20-25k ? Subject to visa status, for same approx. cost, you might get an Agent 12 month No Financial Retirement Extension. . 

You can quarantine at home or in your own hotel, no need for AQ rip offs.

For that trip right now it is :-

Malaysia

Download their app, PCR prior to departure to Malaysia, test on arrival, insurance for trip length,

and then....

all the stuff we know we need to get in to Thailand mid-April...

and as others have said, it might be much easier coming in from early May onwards....

I found this opening schedule infographic online.

SEA Opening.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, XD1 at Phuket said:

So many years ago, I had NON-O multi.

At that time, it was clear.

We have to get stamp of Malaysia or any other country, arrive and depart.

I am not sure.

Golf might have been a special exception ???

I looked years ago at whether you could enter the Damnok free trade zone (where the golf club is located) and return to Thailand without Malaysian stamps. I was told that this is not possible. [I did wonder why it was not possible, at least, to get your Thai exit stamp cancelled instead.] I believe, if using the golf club, the club will arrange to get Malaysian stamps in your passport without you needing to pass the Malaysian checkpoint.

I would imagine, at the current time, you would be questioned about your plans when exiting Thailand, and not allowed to leave without a Thailand Pass if you stated an intention of returning promptly to Thailand.. You would also need to satisfy Malaysian health requirements.

Note that the Damnok free trade zone is technically Malaysian territory, although in the area between the checkpoints. It is not exactly a "no man's land" as that is generally understood.