Ceiling fans

scubascuba3

My Hatari 16" remote control ceiling fan has died after 18 months, behaving weird the last week with power going up and down whilst swinging, anyway I don't want to buy Hatari again it hasn't been great, so looking for something new and the key thing is it's above the bed, ceiling only 235 cm high so not sure if a 56" helicopter type will seem too big, like the Mitsubishi? I know Mr Ken comes up a lot. Any recommendations? or maybe people don't bother and just use a floor fan along with AC? which i have also

IMG_20220413_133218.jpg

Screenshot_2022-04-13-14-59-19-558_com.lazada.android~2.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'll have a look, 5 power settings? one of the problems with the Hatari was it only had 3 power settings, 1 being a little too high

Yes, 5. For me, 2 or 3 is plenty. Some of the others I have have got string-pulls for the speed, but the installer also put wall mounted speed controls which is what I use.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

You can get an Ogawa 16" oscillating 3 speed ceiling fan for 1,290 baht from HomePro - see here.

It is marginally more expensive than the Hatari but the motor has a 2 year warranty.

45 minutes ago, Encid said:

You can get an Ogawa 16" oscillating 3 speed ceiling fan for 1,290 baht from HomePro - see here.

It is marginally more expensive than the Hatari but the motor has a 2 year warranty.

i need a remote control one as I don't want to add hard wiring, for easy life i might just buy another Hatari 16"

Edited by scubascuba3

16 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

i need a remote control one as I don't want to add hard wiring, for easy life i might just buy another Hatari 16"

There is already 'hard wiring' going to the fan to supply it with power. You simply put the wall controller in series. 

Why replace it with another Hatari which has only lasted 18 months? Saying that, I have Hataris which are well over 6 years old.

Edited by KannikaP

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

There is already 'hard wiring' going to the fan to supply it with power. You simply put the wall controller in series. 

Why replace it with another Hatari which has only lasted 18 months? Saying that, I have Hataris which are well over 6 years old.

i think the hard wiring is from the ceiling so if say i wanted the controller on the wall wouldn't they need to extend the wires? maybe i just got a duff Hatari my floor fan has been fine

• Like 1

I know Mr Ken comes up a lot. Any recommendations? 

I find the ceiling fans from Mr.Ken, which concerns the design and the very economical and quiet DC motors, really very good but the remote controls that were available have never convinced me, were rather inferior.

Either they broke or as with my last 2 ceiling fans (about 3 years ago) per piece 10000 Bath, the buttons of the remote controls were so flabby and unreliable that I contacted Mr.Ken again and asked for better models. My request remained unanswered in this regard ...

With the help of Remote Hub + Appp from Broadlink, available for very little money also at Lazada, I could control all my countless IR & RF remotes in the household from my smartphone, tablets and Computers  and even integrate them into HomeKit with the help of Homebridge on a Rasberry Pi.

https://www.ibroadlink.com

IMG_4693.png.eb9a49dc4c9308f0213688d4aa178daf.pngIMG_4694.png.3a0296941fb1adc8831e7bb46efc9268.png

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, sathornlover said:

I find the ceiling fans from Mr.Ken, which concerns the design and the very economical and quiet DC motors, really very good but the remote controls that were available have never convinced me, were rather inferior.

Our experience is different none of the remotes of our 10+ MrKen fans has broken, despite the best efforts of our 4 pawed companions C8C9066A-027F-4C4E-8392-2AF168908A94.thumb.jpeg.7b6dfd06a2d3a789ce0377ac5a179d94.jpeg

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

I got a little Xiaomi floor fan.

Brushless motors.

Nice breeze at night.

Nice as my wife doesn't like the fan on her.

This is in addition to the Air-conditioning running.

It's been comfortable during this Songkran heat.

Easy to move if I want to bring it downstairs if I'm watching TV or playing Xbox.

Control it with the phone app is nice.

Screenshot_20220414-141127_Lazada.jpg

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

I got a little Xiaomi floor fan.

Brushless motors.

Nice breeze at night.

Nice as my wife doesn't like the fan on her.

This is in addition to the Air-conditioning running.

It's been comfortable during this Songkran heat.

Easy to move if I want to bring it downstairs if I'm watching TV or playing Xbox.

Control it with the phone app is nice.

Screenshot_20220414-141127_Lazada.jpg

that looks like a good option once my floor fan dies, can you select the amount of swing? i like my Hatari floor fan but I'd prefer to be able to reduce the swing to say 90⁰

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

that looks like a good option once my floor fan dies, can you select the amount of swing? i like my Hatari floor fan but I'd prefer to be able to reduce the swing to say 90⁰

Yes.

I liked that Mitsubishi ceiling fan you posted.

Very modern.

Mitsubishi's are very good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrJ2U said:

Yes.

I liked that Mitsubishi ceiling fan you posted.

Very modern.

Mitsubishi's are very good.

Have bought 3 of them and they are good, but with a weight of more than 9 kilos very heavy.

Edited by UWEB
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, UWEB said:

Have bought 3 of them and they are good, but with a weight of more than 9 kilos very heavy.

Fake ceilings won't work.

Love that look and very effective way to circulate the air!

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Any thoughts on using the new Hatari 16" but without the cages? makes the fan look smaller, I don't think anymore risk of it falling or flying off, I won't be standing on the bed.

Any greater risk of helicopter blades which are far bigger?

IMG_20220414_174628.jpg

It depends on the hight above any surface like the bed. If you can’t touch it when standing on the bed, assuming it over the bed, the it’s is OK,

if you can only just touch it , it’s probably no problem 

if you can easily touch the ceiling, then it isn’t such a good idea.

We have removed the cages on our porch ceiling fans (16" & 18" Hatari) as birds kept building nests.  The look takes some getting used to. 

We had Hatari repace a noisy wall fan under warranty - took a while but eventually got a new one back from them.  For us we had to drop it off and pick it up from Big C after getting a return authorization.

• Like 1

I have old(I guess 20 + years) ceiling fans. I have to replace the wall controllers often  ( 120b - local guy replaces them in 5 minutes) but the fan motors seem to just keep on going.  Is it worth checking if it is actually the fan is broken  or just the controller?

31 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

I have old(I guess 20 + years) ceiling fans. I have to replace the wall controllers often  ( 120b - local guy replaces them in 5 minutes) but the fan motors seem to just keep on going.  Is it worth checking if it is actually the fan is broken  or just the controller?

The wall controller should not be breaking, certainly not often.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

You are probably right and it will be the controller, the motor has a 3 year warranty i think, they expect something else to go wrong first

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 1:52 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

The wall controller should not be breaking, certainly not often.

They are in a guesthouse so I have 10 rooms with one in each. Regardless the modern ones dont seem built to last. I suppose for 120b per time cant expect too much.

I messaged Hatari and they said take the fan back to Powerbuy Baan & Beyond and to my surprise they took it back using warranty card with no fuss, said should get it back fixed in 45 days. It was within 3 years warranty, so looks like i may end up with 2 ceiling fans, one as a spare