Non Immigrant O-A Visa Multiple Entry - Re-Entry Permit Needed?

A re-entry permit is not required if you Non-OA visa is still valid. If you enter before it expires you will get a new one year entry.

If expired you would need a re-entry to keep the remainder of the permit to stay valid that you got from your last entry to the country valid when you enter the country.

• Like 1

Look at your Visa for the Enter By date - that is when your OA Visa will expire. As mentioned, until that date you can reenter Thailand without needing a Re-Entry permit and receive another one year permitted stay.  However, if you plan to return after that date, you will need a Re-Entry Permit to keep your current permission to stay date "alive."  The Re-Entry Permit will expire on the date your current permission to stay expires.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A re-entry permit is not required if you Non-OA visa is still valid. If you enter before it expires you will get a new one year entry.

If expired you would need a re-entry to keep the remainder of the permit to stay valid that you got from your last entry to the country valid when you enter the country.

I have used the re-entry permit with O-A visa for years but what effect does the required health insurance have on this ?  Suppose I enter with new O-A and return to USA after 7 months ?  At this point only 5 months is left on the insurance. Do I still get my 12 months when I buy re-entry permit at airport on the way out ? If not is there a workaround ?  Thanks.

3 hours ago, Searat7 said:

I have used the re-entry permit with O-A visa for years but what effect does the required health insurance have on this ?  Suppose I enter with new O-A and return to USA after 7 months ?  At this point only 5 months is left on the insurance. Do I still get my 12 months when I buy re-entry permit at airport on the way out ? If not is there a workaround ?  Thanks.

If you have a re-entry permit (and the immigration official does not ignore it) then you will be stamped in until the date specified on the re-entry permit (the expiry date of the associated permission to stay). If you still have an unexpired O-A visa, the official might well decide to ignore the re-entry permit, and stamp you in on the visa instead, giving you a full 12 months. As you implied, immigration will probably insist that you have health insurance (not Covid insurance) to cover the full 12 months in that case.

Edited by BritTim