Multiple Cd player and customs taxes

kokool

Hi everyone,

After spending a lot of time on the thai website dedicated to import duty (a big part of the website is not and cannot be translated correctly in english), i have been unable to find a precision.
When at Bkk airport with a dj player, i am unable to know what kind of taxes are applicable.
The item is a: Pioneer xdj-xz
It is a multi mp3 player with an integrated mixer.
On a thai website that deal this player, they called it "multi cd player" but in fact, because of the technology, there is no more cd players inside, juste a USB port in order to get the music from your USB device.
Let me precise that music and mixing is a passion.
It is important to say that this player/mixer is intended for my personal use.
Also, it isn't new but (but it looks like new), i've bought it only 2 months ago, i have the invoice with VAT paid in France.
So, on the thai website mentionned above, i saw that the sell it and this is the indicated price and informations:

90.000 thb
ราคาสินค้าไม่รวมภาษีมูลค่าเพิ่ม

หมวดหมู่: เครื่องเล่น CD เครื่องเล่นแผ่นเสียง
ป้ายกำกับ: Pioneer

Transaltion :

90.000 thb
Product price does not include VAT.

Category: CD Player record player
Tag: Pioneer

I've contacted them (the shop) in order to get the price that include the VAT and i am waiting for their answer.
But If for example the full price is 100.000 thb, that would mean that the VAT is 10.000 THB.

So, many thanks for your patience, now my 2 questions:

1) Because it is for my personal use and not to resell, do i have to pay taxe when i will arrive at airport custom and do i have to go on the line "goods to declare" ?

2) If i have to declare it, do i have to pay only the VAT (like in my example above) 10.000 thb or is there any other possible taxes to add with the VAT ? (i've read also that it can be at the discretion of the officer)
So, if i have to pay taxes, i will do it of course but if the taxes are really to high, better for me to sell it in france and to buy a new one in Thailand.

Thank you very much for your help & happy songkran to all.

Edited by kokool

Working visa? I guess not. So its anyway for private use. 

The value is high and must be declared.

I guess they declare it eventually as a luxury good?

In that case VAT is the smallest issue.

Factor 3 could happen. 90k could become 270k in worst case. But i dont think so.

They have different import taxes for different goods. How much for your special device is at the end up to them to decide.

I would ask simply Schenker. 

This happened for my designer furniture couch sofa from Ligne Roset. So the thing is very tricky. Household goods for private use in a container is normally no isdue. Single goods are.

Amazing Thailand means, nothing is sure:).

Luxury import tax can be an issue.

Not to tell them at immigration is an option but risky.

They check sometimes after passing the immigration before the gate the luggage again. But very seldom. Hand luggage I would avoid!

Hi tom,

Thank you for your opinion.

So, i confirm, it is for private use.

It is just a double mp3 player with an integrated audio mixer, that's all.
I don't see any luxury thing in that, just an excellent quality item but as you said "amazing Thailand" !

Sorry but who is Shenker, a forum's member ?

To finish, as previously said in my initial post, the Bangkok shop sells it at 90.000 thb without VAT so, when they will tell me the full price including the VAT, is it a mistake to infer that this difference (so the VAT applied at the Bangkok shop) between the full price and the initial price without VAT is equal to the taxes that i would have to pay at customs airport?

Thank you very much.

Edited by kokool

To be clear, i would add this:

If the price without VAT at the shop is 90.000 thb.
If the full price at the shop is 100.000 thb.
If at the shop they tell me the VAT applied to your item is 10.000 thb.

Is there any official raison to ask me more than 10.000 thb at airport customs?

If the music / audio shop in bangkok apply such a VAT, how can't it be a non official taxes?
And i guess that (again) the shop knows exactly the VAT to apply on such items.

So, how can i know definitively what will be the taxes applied to my item?

Thank you.

Carry it in - in a suitcase - if stopped at airport baggage exit, tell them it's used and for personal use. Very few people getting stopped these days on exit.

Looking at the dimensions on the web - it might work...

Width

34.57 in

Height

4.66 in

Depth

18.35 in

Weight

28.66 lb

3 minutes ago, kokool said:

To be clear, i would add this:

If the price without VAT at the shop is 90.000 thb.
If the full price at the shop is 100.000 thb.
If at the shop they tell me the VAT applied to your item is 10.000 thb.

Is there any official raison to ask me more than 10.000 thb at airport customs?

If the music / audio shop in bangkok apply such a VAT, how can't it be a non official taxes?
And i guess that (again) the shop knows exactly the VAT to apply on such items.

Thank you.

It actually costs below 90k including VAT.

1) Thank you @dwagner for your answer.
The size is bigger and the flight case to transport it is 96 cm x 59 cm x 23 cm for a total of 29 kg.
So, it is not a small luggage.

2) Thank you @tomazbodner!
Yes it is exactly this model.

Sorry for my english, could just precise waht you mean by "so import duties cannot be in 100s of percents..."
You want to mean that taxes can be up to 100% ?

For the moment, i am totally lost.
I am considering to sell mine in France and to buy a new one in thailand because as i said, i am ok to pay like 10.000 thb but more than this would be not interesting.

Thank you for the support.

In the three years prior to Covid I flew in with a lot of high value items. I had Emirates Skywards Gold so about 70kg luggage allowance.

I bought in a hifi system worth about £4k.  Couple of £2k bikes. Lots of professional quality tools (SnapOn etc), an alloy racing jack, various car parts, big bike custom exhaust system worth about £2k.

For the big boxes they stopped me at exit and asked what was inside. I told them honestly and was waved through.  In over 70 entries to Thailand never had anything opened.

Only really had trouble in India and Nigeria. 

Edited by HauptmannUK
  • Like 1

Tourists don't pay import duties on items they carry with them.

The problem is that i come with my father with a visa exempt but we're gonna apply for a non O.
Came back in France because of covid, now ready to go back but my address on my french passport is in thailand because it has been done in Thailand 3 years ago....
So... when it's not your day...

35 minutes ago, kokool said:

VAT on products purchased in Thailand is 7%.    There are no other taxes payable on such items.

Items personally imported into Thailand and declared (or discovered) may be charged import duty.  7% VAT is charged on its value plus any import duty.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

18 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Tourists don't pay import duties on items they carry with them.

Depends what the item is, its value and where and when it was purchased.    A tourist arriving from, say, Hong Kong with a new Rolex or an apparently new "DJ's thing" would not be exempt from import duty and VAT being assessed.

3 minutes ago, kokool said:

So, now i have to find what can of import duty is applied on such product.

thank you to confirm for the 7%.

Depends who you encounter on the day, rarely any consistency here.

5 minutes ago, kokool said:

@HauptmannUK
Thank you for your feedback.
I really believe you of course but i can't take the risk to be billed with 50 or 100% taxes.

I really need to know what can i expect?

Call the Customs Dept., there are English-speaking in the call centre...

Customs Care Center at Tel. 1164
The Customs Department, 1, Suntorn Kosa Road, Klong Toey, Bangkok, 10110
E-mail : [email protected]
Call Center : 1164 (02 667-7767)

@Liverpool Lou Thank you very much.

I'm gonna send an email and ask them, it will be safer...
After, according to their answer, i will sell it in France... Or not ????

How could i forget that when i've bought it!
I thought that because of a personal item (and not luxury) it would not a problem. So stupid.

Edited by kokool

10 minutes ago, kokool said:

plus any import duty.

So, now i have to find what can of import duty is applied on such product.

thank you to confirm for the 7%.

Try this...https://www.simplyduty.com/import-calculator/

If you can find out the HS Code for the product that makes it more accurate.  The example that I've just checked showed an import duty rate of 10% plus 7% VAT.

1 hour ago, kokool said:

Sorry for my english, could just precise waht you mean by "so import duties cannot be in 100s of percents..."
You want to mean that taxes can be up to 100% ?

No, what I mean is that import duties cannot be very high. If we make comparison with cars or "luxury items" like some designer bags, watches, cosmetics, then you can see that the price in Thailand is several times higher than if bought in Europe. Now this item's price is priced about the same as in Europe, so it would mean it does not have any excessive duties applied.

All that said, and what I think some posts with "but this is Thailand" refer to, is that this could be down to discretion of the customs officer. And like you can't find the exact category of taxation, he/she might struggle or intentionally choose one of higher brackets to charge you more. Still, this is not a luxury item so you could not be charged like 200k import duty. It could be in 30-40k range though, which would make me rethink of whether I could sell it in France with less loss than this potential duty and buy a new one here, or take this one on the plane.

In case you decide to carry it, put it in backpack, and carry it in the cabin. Do not load it, as you don't want it to disappear or be thrown around, possibly arrive damaged. 2000 baht compensation for smashed up item isn't worth it.

@tomazbodner thank you very much for the precisions.

My intention was to insure it for the transportation and as told previously, the item in its flight case is 96 cm x 59 cm x 23 cm so, very big. I can't take with me as a cabin luggage.

Agree with you, it is not a luxury item but if never i have to pay 30K or more, it is not interesting for me.
better to sell it in france.

A bit disappointed though.