Tested positive for covid what now?

mrmicbkktxl

I just tested positive for Covid 19(home test),now what?I was reading as long I have mild sympthoms I can self quarantine until I test negative or start to feel really sick,but my Thai wife says I have to go to a clinic and get some special Covid 19 medication.Since I read about horror stories(state quarantine) I don't want to go to a clinic or hospital.So what is the best way to deal with that situation,should I go to a clinic or hospital and take the risk of a quarantine even with mild sympthoms?

All started on April 12th in the morning with permanent(every few minutes) sneezing,that got better after 1000mg Paracetamol,

On april 12th I tested negative

On April 13th I tested negative but still sneezing a bit

On April 14th no test because I felt ok,maybe a bit running nose,sneezing almost gone

On April 15 th I got a bit of a headache,a bit coughing and just didn't feel that great but I thought that was because of the hot weather,and coughing from my smoking habit

On April 16 th I woke up and felt like I didn't sleep all night,body ache,headache running nose and coughing,weak in general,but still enough power to walk my dogs for 2.5 km,all day I felt tired paracetamol worked well with the running nose but not that great with my headache,so in evening of April 16th I tested again for covid 19 and 3 out of 3 tests came back positive,my wife no sympthoms at all tested negative.

Today April 17th I tested again positive and my wife negative,running nose still there,coughing still there,headache almost gone but now I got medium back and stomache pain.On a scale from 1-10 1 is bad 10 is great I feel like 5 normal would be a 7,I'm diabetic with low numbers 6.7long term

We are both vaccinated me 2xSinopharm and 1 xModerna,my wife 2x Sinovac,1x Astra Zeneca and 1x Moderna

Now what?

My guess is, that you should go to a doctor. Else you can't hold on a document, that you had covid.

When there will be a test in the near future than it could be that it shows you have/had covid.. and then this document is important, that you can prove you had covid before and this the reason your tests show positiv...

Wait and see what others answer....

Edited by HampiK
  • Like 1

Had it recently. Was having a cold, did a self-test, 2 red stripes, did 2 more tests to confirm.

8 days later, back to one stripe.

I could have missed it if I hadn't had some unused tests in my luggage. Was like a cold, no temperature, no loss of appetite, some sore throat, felt tired.

Recovery certificate? What for? If you need a paper better get a booster shot a few weeks down the line.

Edited by JackGats

2 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Had it recently. Was having a cold, did a self-test, 2 red stripes, did 2 more tests to confirm.

8 days later, back to one stripe.

I could have missed it if I hadn't had some unused tests in my luggage. Was like a cold, no temperature, no loss of appetite, some sore throat, felt tired.

20 minutes ago, internationalism said:

if you dont need recovery certificate for travel purpose, you dont need to go to clinic.

If your wife really thinks medication is needed, she can go to clinic and register you positive and excuse you for not speaking thai and not wanting to spread virus

Yeah I don't need a recovery certificate,but on April 30th I have appointment for my 2nd Moderna shot not sure if I can get if just recovered from Covid19

26 minutes ago, jvs said:

So you are starting to feel better? You are getting over it,just self isolate and in a few days

you should be fine.

If things are getting worse call the hospital or clinic.

No reason to go there i would think.

You should stop smoking.

Yeah I don't feel bad running nose almost stopped,a bit of back pain ,and just that overall feeling is not perfect,I stopped drinking,stopped chocolate,stopped most unhealthy things,if I stop smoking too then all the fun things are gone,hmm I know smokers never short with excuses

• Like 2

call hospital to postpone moderna. Suppose to get boost minimum 90 days after infection.

Private hospital might want to give you shot now, because they might not care. For them it's more about money. I assume it's a private hospital.

There might be generation 2 moderna coming later on this year. That's what they have promised the last year

Edited by internationalism

3 minutes ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Yeah I don't feel bad running nose almost stopped,a bit of back pain ,and just that overall feeling is not perfect,I stopped drinking,stopped chocolate,stopped most unhealthy things,if I stop smoking too then all the fun things are gone,hmm I know smokers never short with excuses

Give it a few more days,hope you get over it soon,i know a few people who are having Covid

at the moment with only flue like symptoms.

They all just stay at home and rest.

Read a good book or listen to good music or watch a few movies.

Only if things are getting worse should you contact a hospital,going there while having Covid

is the last thing i would do,you could infect many people.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Yeah I don't need a recovery certificate,but on April 30th I have appointment for my 2nd Moderna shot not sure if I can get if just recovered from Covid19

Too close I think. Recommendation is to wait for at least a couple of months. Otherwise you risk having a bad reaction. You can google the recommendations in various countries for infected people.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, jvs said:

Give it a few more days,hope you get over it soon,i know a few people who are having Covid

at the moment with only flue like symptoms.

They all just stay at home and rest.

That sums up why the reported positive case numbers are rubbish.

I know at least a dozen people who have had Covid - including myself.

All self isolated for 10 days at home.

It seems that the only ones admitting to being positive are those that need a 'fit to fly' certificate and Thais who want the free medicine and/or possible insurance claims.

• Like 2

If your symptoms are  decreasing then you  probably have no need to do anything but do the decent thing and stay isolated for the nominal 10 days. One thing to be aware of is the possibility of developing a  bacterial sinus infection which I have post covid.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Too close I think. Recommendation is to wait for at least a couple of months. Otherwise you risk having a bad reaction. You can google the recommendations in various countries for infected people.

How long I should postbone my 2nd Moderna shot,I got first Moderna December 25th 2021?

mrmickbkktx, let me give you a little of reassurance.  My story is about the same as the others have stated.

Sunday-sore throat and normal temperature

Monday-sore throat, stuffy nose and normal temperature

Tuesday-same symptoms

1) First ATK test was negative in the morning

2) Second ATK test was positive in the evening and this test was a different brand

Wednesday to Sunday self isolated at home and the symptoms got better

Monday-slight sore throat and nose was clear

During self isolation I conducted an ATK test every two days.  All came back positive.  

Tuesday-ATK was negative.

I did daily ATK tests for the next five days and all came back Negative(I used ATK kits from 4 different manufacturers).  I have a blood pressure at home and checked my BP everyday.  My BP readings were always normal.  In my case there was no need to go see a doctor or even go to a clinic.  

The only thing I took was Ricola cough drops.  

It is appears I got Omicron.  Like most I have no idea where I caught it.  

The Covid Recovery certificate would only be necessary if one plans on international travel withing the next 30 to 60 days.  From my research it appears most recovered people stop testing positive within two weeks to a month after being infected.  In my case it was about a week between a positive and the first negative reading. 

I would suggest you  keep isolating, monitor your symptoms and conduct an ATK test every two or three days.  

The irony is I had gotten my 3rd Pfizer shot 6 days before I developed the sore throat.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Is amoxillin a must take or only if the nose not stops running?For now I'm ok with Paracetamol only

If you are worried about this i would get some qualified medical advice.Maybe Sherill

will see this and give an opinion?

You can always call your doctor if you are worried about what can happen.

Long Covid is a possibility but it is certainly not common.

I realize you are worried and want to put your mind at ease,i can not give you a medical

opinion or diagnose but i would say you mentioned you are already starting to feel better.

Try to relax ,it makes your mind at ease.

• Thanks 1

Just hang out at home and avoid drama and costs. Take an ATK every ten days until you're clear.

Wife tells me unless Thais tragically unwell ALL are sent home to self qt now. Her brother was tested out at hospital, given insurance paperwork and sent home.

Rest, eat healthy, paracetamol and time. Don't give in to the fear.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Is amoxillin a must take or only if the nose not stops running?For now I'm ok with Paracetamol only

Amoxicillin is pretty worthless nowadays. It's usually used for sore throat but oddly I recall it was good for an STD as well. I can't recall which.

Don't take antibiotics for general flu symptoms! Government is big on favirapir or some such spelling, medicine

Edited by TheScience

42 minutes ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

How long I should postbone my 2nd Moderna shot,I got first Moderna December 25th 2021?

If you have covid and had shot/s why do you think it's necessary? Especially when numerous reports and I think it was Pfizer CEO stated the vax are even less effective against omicron.

You have covid? You got the vax lol.

Edited by TheScience

55 minutes ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

I'm not sure there's 100% unanimity on how long to postpone a vaccination if positive for Covid.

In fact, a recent case study suggests that getting a vaccination while infected might actually aid in recovery - though possibly only if you have a compromised immune system and a persistent infection (and you mention having diabetes and lingering symptoms).

According to the link below which documents the case of an immuno-compromised patient with an ongoing infection:

the vaccine was well tolerated by the patient and successfully induced a strong antibody and T-cell response 

Vaccine Used To Treat – Rather Than Prevent – COVID-19

Having said that, I'm not sure what the official policy in Thailand is in this regard and whatever that is, will probably trump a one-off, foreign-based study.

It's food for thought, though.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HampiK said:

My guess is, that you should go to a doctor. Else you can't hold on a document, that you had covid.

When there will be a test in the near future than it could be that it shows you have/had covid.. and then this document is important, that you can prove you had covid before and this the reason your tests show positiv...

Yes and no. Yes if OP has plans in the near future for overseas travel or anything that requires a negative test. Otherwise, just stay home and wait until he needs to show a clean bill of health, he can then plan his test and quarantine, if any, at the most convenient time for him.

3 hours ago, HampiK said:

I am guessing that are somewhere around 1m Thais in Thailand who have not reported their mild symptoms, and therefore do not appear in the numbers.

My wife is one of them and she cannot tick the 'I have recovered Covid' because she doesn't have a recovery certificate.

34 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Yes and no. Yes if OP has plans in the near future for overseas travel or anything that requires a negative test. Otherwise, just stay home and wait until he needs to show a clean bill of health, he can then plan his test and quarantine, if any, at the most convenient time for him.

Traveling oversea that's the point,I need the 2nd Moderna shot because with 2 x Sinopharm and 1 x Moderna they will tell me in Europe I'm not fully vaccinated,I'm googeling 2 hours now to get a clear answer when i should get my next shot after recovery,and impossible to get a clear answer,from taking a shot during Covid infection to up to 4 months after recovery all kind of answers there.Most of my friends in Europe,USA and here in Thailand recovered and tested negative after 6-8 days