What are the current visa run options?

Country borders have been opening up. Those who entered on a Non-Immigrant visa apparently can't get COVID extensions anymore. Some people need to get a Non-Immigrant B visa for work (and can't change inside the country). 

So, what are the current options available to do a visa run? 

What are the entry requirements (PCR test, visa for that country)? How friendly is the embassy of that country? Reports?

CAMBODIA

Has been possible for some time. No PCR test needed. Visa on arrival. Although, embassy in Cambodia has in the past not been the best.
Report.

SINGAPORE? 

PCR test/professionally-administered ATK test (less than 48 hours before flight) needed?
Also, apparently embassy is a bit difficult for Thai visa?

MALAYSIA? 
PCR test (less than 48 hours before flight) needed?

VIETNAM? 
PCR test not needed (rapid test fine)? No vaccination proof needed. Evisa for most countries (or visa exemption for 13 countries). Apparently, embassy appointments required.

INDONESIA? 
PCR test (less than 48 hours before flight) needed? VOA?

LAOS? 
Possible in travel group only. Maybe solo travel possible in May. PCR test less than 72 hours will still be needed.

A lot of the information from the above is from here, although I don't know how correct it is. Most of the requirements are presented with a question mark, as to encourage more infirmation/a confirmation.

Any other country? Have any experience with any of these visa runs? Reports? Information to be corrected or added?

Edited by ThLT

16 hours ago, ThLT said:

What do you think is the best visa run option at the moment?

Best visa run option, and I'm being serious, is to go back to "Home Country" and get a STV before it ends (or METV).
Then come back, and you got 6-9 months atleast of worry free stay.

Thats what I am doing.  Also many "Home Country" places getting into warmer weather, so not the worst time for a little Visa reset.

I know everyone has their circumstances and reasons for trying the shorter runs, and financial situation plays a role.

Plus if you can stay out for 1-2 months, no doubt the rules will hopefully change again -- for the better.

Best of luck.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ThLT said:

CAMBODIA

Has been possible for some time

Yes, easy to enter the country but please remember you have to be fully vaccinated and be able to show proof of this.

Fully vaccinated tourists now only need a vaccine certificate to enter the country.

Unvaccinated or partially vaccinated passengers must quarantine for 14 days. They will have a PCR test on day 13.

https://www.cambodiaonlinevisa.com/travel-restrictions/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I've been told no Cambodia land boarder crossings open. 

You'd have to fly. 

Yes of course and the reports of obtaining visa in Phnom Penh have been positive.

Flights from BKK to Phnom Penh not too bad..

BTW positive reports re obtaining visa on arrival. No issue. 

Edited by DrJack54

8 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Get an evisa before you go.

I've read there's too much corruption with visa on arrival. 

I have had issues with attempted corruption when trying for a visa on arrival at land borders, but never at Phnom Penh airport. The only advantage of the e-visa, when flying to Phnom Penh, is that it saves space in your passport.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, matador007 said:

Best visa run option, and I'm being serious, is to go back to "Home Country" and get a STV before it ends (or METV).
Then come back, and you got 6-9 months atleast of worry free stay.

Thats what I am doing.  Also many "Home Country" places getting into warmer weather, so not the worst time for a little Visa reset.

I know everyone has their circumstances and reasons for trying the shorter runs, and financial situation plays a role.

Plus if you can stay out for 1-2 months, no doubt the rules will hopefully change again -- for the better.

Best of luck.

Word of caution about getting a STV. If the scheme does finish on 30th Sept as proposed you may end up with a lot less than 9 months. Last year they extended before the deadline. This year who knows.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

What is not clear (at least to me) is whether September 30 is the last date on which an STV can be issued, the last date on which an STV can be used to enter the country (unlikely), the maximum permission to stay expiry date (unlikely) or the final date on which you can apply for a 90-day extension. If you can enter Thailand using an STV until September 30, and still be eligible for both 90-day extensions, the STV is a more attractive option.

Completely agree which is why I hedged my bets with 'may' ???? I had a STV last year and got nearly a years stay with a covid ext. I was pretty nervous before they extended the scheme in Sept though.

• Like 1

Apparently, Myanmar is now open, since April 17.

However, a PCR test is required to enter, and also a second PCR test on arrival (with a hotel booking while awaiting results).

Obviously, no reports. And no one can say if it's a good option to do a visa run. 

https://www.exotravel.com/blog/en/myanmar-reopening/

Edited by ThLT

16 hours ago, Greenwich Boy said:

Word of caution about getting a STV. If the scheme does finish on 30th Sept as proposed you may end up with a lot less than 9 months. Last year they extended before the deadline. This year who knows.

Thats just getting the visa.  Lots of time between now and then.
Once you have it and entered before said date, should be no problems extending 2 more times as per how it works.

10 minutes ago, matador007 said:

Once you have it and entered before said date, should be no problems extending 2 more times as per how it works.

You don't know that. If the STV ends, it might or might not be extendable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThLT said:

You don't know that. If the STV ends, it might or might not be extendable.

I'm 99% sure you can extend, so long as you entered before end date.  Thats usually how visas work.
That said, its still a good visa to get between now and then.

1 minute ago, matador007 said:

I'm 99% sure you can extend, so long as you entered before end date.  Thats usually how visas work.

"99% sure"? Based on what, your feelings? You're just guessing. If it's cancelled, could be extendable, or might not be possible. No one knows for sure.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, ThLT said:

"99% sure"? Based on what, your feelings? You're just guessing. If it's cancelled, could be extendable, or might not be possible. No one knows for sure.

Maybe @ubonjoecan confirm the 1% for us.

But https://thaiembdc.org/2020/12/28/special-tourist-visa-stv/

Condition 4.2

If you enter before expiry date of the STV program, then can extend 2x while in Thailand.

Even if program ends Sep 30, as long as you entered before, it will be fine to extend.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, matador007 said:

Condition 4.2

If you enter before expiry date of the STV program, then can extend 2x while in Thailand.

Even if program ends Sep 30, as long as you entered before, it will be fine to extend.

That has nothing to do with it. Empty point. "Expiry date" is the expiry date of your STV visa. Has nothing to do with if the STV itself still exists or not.

Look, it might be possible or not. But you saying it'll be possible, or that it'll 99% be possible... is entirely speculation. Speculation from a random English-speaking guy sitting at his computer at 11:30pm on a Tuesday. 

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, ThLT said:

Speculation from a random English-speaking guy sitting at his computer at 11:30pm on a Tuesday

Pretty vicious reply to fella stating an opinion 

If your so sure of your options why start a thread.

The poster asked if uj can give his opinion. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You're actually taking this personally, and taking offence to something told to someone else, that isn't even offensive? 

First, him posting "Condition 4.2" of the STV expiry is just plain false, and has nothing to do with if the STV is continued or not. 

And what "random English-speaking guy at his computer on a Tuesday" meant is that he isn't in any way connected to immigration, nor even speak the language. So it's entirely speculation, and based on no factual information.

Edited by ThLT
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm also some random English-speaking guy at his computer on a Tuesday. You're really taking offence for something banal.

Edited by ThLT

2 hours ago, matador007 said:

Thats just getting the visa.  Lots of time between now and then.

After the STV is issued, you have 90 days during which you can enter, potentially meaning that you might not enter Thailand using the STV until December. Have you see clear confirmation that this is true, and that you would still be able to get the second 90-day extension in June 2023 (expiring September 2023)? You might be right, but that did not seem to be the interpretation of the rules that was the consensus shortly before the STV was fortunately extended last year. As I wrote in an earlier post, the STV becomes a fairly attractive option for some if that is true, especially given the troubles some had at certain entry points back in 2019 when trying to make full use of METVs.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, matador007 said:

Immigration did the announcement last year about the STV extensions since they are the ones that issue them.

From the immigration website.

STV_ending_30_sept

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ThLT said:

So looks like it's not possible. 

@matador007

Believing 99% something is true... and arguing with someone about it for 40 minutes... doesn't make something true. 

stv_cant.png

I believe the same interpretation will probably apply this year, but we must wait to see what immigration decide. They might decide differently. We shall see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1