Speeding most common cause of road accidents in Prachuap Khiri Khan during Songkran

webfact

278774861_3160948504164389_2186012582327335316_n-696x392.jpg

By Online Reporter

Speeding drivers were the cause of almost half of all road traffic accidents throughout Prachuap Khiri Khan during the Songkran festival.

Speaking at the closure of the province’s “New way of life, drive safely, no accidents” road safety campaign, Mr Prompiriya Kitnuson, deputy governor of Prachuap Khiri Khan said there were a total of 27 accidents, 27 injuries, and 3 deaths between April 11-17, 2022.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The number of accidents, injuries and deaths was much lower than the targets outlined by provincial officials before the start of Songkran.

Previously officials had set targets of no more than 47 accidents, 48 injuries and 4 deaths on the province’s roads during the week long Songkran festival, dubbed ‘seven dangerous days’ by Thai media.

Full story: https://www.huahintoday.com/hua-hin-news/speeding-most-common-cause-of-road-accidents-in-prachuap-khiri-khan-during-songkran/

huahintoday-logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Hua Hin Today 2022-04-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most common cause of accidents in Thailand is police inactivity in constantly controlling flagrant breaches of road safety rules. Thai motorbike riders are actually pretty proficient as riders - they wouldn't last 30 minutes if they weren't - but they are literally out of control. Any country in the world would have an accident record just as dismal as Thailand's if the police were just as lethargic. 

• Like 1

If they now are very pleased with lower than expected accidents, which is a good sign, it would of course be interesting to know WHAT did they do different during these days compared with normal days. Finding the real cause  to these better numbers.

The penny has dropped that most accidents on the road involve vehicles that are moving. It does not take high speed of a drunk male in a pick-up to kill a motorcyclist.

Edited by Excel

7 hours ago, rwill said:

People speed in every country.  The faster you are going when you have an accident the worse the outcome will be.   

But speeding in of itself doesn't neccessarily cause accidents.

It is wreckless driving that is the real cause.  But the government always seems to avoid calling their drivers wreckless.

We all see those drivers that weave in and out between cars like they are in the biggest hurry ever.  I have had some come within a few centimeters of my vehicle when cutting in front of me.  I like to leave a safe braking distance between me and the car in front of me.  But it is so hard to do here.  Even if you leave about 1 car length between you someone is going to cut into it.  It sometimes feels like I am going backwards with all the people cutting in front of me.

I agree. Looking at the daily crash videos you see on Facebook, accidents are mostly caused by other reasons. 

A big problem making roads more dangerous on the highways is non-stop lane hogging by almost half of the drivers. To try and keep an average speed of 120km/h the only way is to slalom between cars, as there is always some day dreamer blocking the rightmost lane for no good reason. This is of course not an excuse for absolute crazy weaving, but if people respected basic lane discipline everyone could easily drive at their own preferred speed without causing trouble. 

They dont care for peoples lifes.

The impact with speeding could cause greater damage, not speeding itself. Humans, in any mental state, are in control.

If they really would, you could built in a speed control.

Nowadays technology makes it simple to set max speed of the car, depending on GPS position.

For every road. No more speeding.

But they like fines on traffic speed flashers, it brings in lots of money for governments.

Maybe not Thailand, but "my" country sure does.

Also running through red lights could be stopped then the same way.

The auto drive car? Well ok they are working on it, but still lots of issues.

Just red this week, police was chasing an automatic car, no one inside. Mmm, ok.