Cold calls from other expats

robblok

2 hours ago, robblok said:

I had the pleasure of Indian support too when i had problems with my windows 10 key. Yes they can be difficult to understand at times. That was indeed my point that one would expect that people who are calling a lot at least get rid of their accent. Not pretending that my accent is good. I am Dutch so i probably have an accent too. But im not selling stuff on the phone.

Yes I hate all those Youtube Windows help videos hosted by Indians, and there are a lot of them....cant understand a word they are saying.

• Like 1

another way to get rid of these pests is to tell them your busy right now and can't talk, but if they give you their number you'll call them back, and just to make your point you call them between 1.00 a.m.- 2.00 a.m. when you're out late and had a few too many to drink. works a treat.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, robblok said:

Do you guys have problems like this too cold calls of idiots ?

Not at all. If the caller's number isn't in my contacts, I don't answer. No exceptions.

Originally, because random Thai people kept calling me (wrong number) and I couldn't be bothered anymore.

3 hours ago, alex8912 said:

as I mentioned in the interesting/fun lazada thread today that was shut down for some unknown reason).

There were two obvious reasons why that thread was shut down. Firstly the O/P's query had been satisfactorily answered and secondly someone was trying to steer it off topic i.e. away from the original query of delivery charges.

Sound familiar?

I just get sms queries = block list....

We have Line & it seems every other week somebody tags along but never further contact....

Blocking is an easy remedy.....

It's not crazy here like it was in the US.....I had a very long blocking list for unwanted solicitation calls.... Unfortunately, companies had unlimited numbers to fire away with....

It's a lot simpler here.....If not waiting for a delivery & it's not a number I've grouped in a category = it goes unanswered ...

The sms's have been on an uptick recently ....

7 hours ago, robblok said:

That is what i just did, it just pisses me off when people call me trying to sell <deleted>. I thought i was clear enough. I mean call me once can be excused. But repeating it is just stupid.

Unfortunately par for the coure nowadays in many countries.

Australia has serious problems with his issue, and somehow the scammers who do this seem to have access to the phone numbers of many older folks. 

7 hours ago, robblok said:

Again this guy is persistant, i told him that i was not interested in whatever he was selling. Horrible thick UK accent xxxx Wolfe or something like that.  Second time he called me. I don't get it I hate cold calls anyone doing that should be shot. If i want to be called or get advertisements ill look for them.

Do you guys have problems like this too cold calls of idiots ? I mean i think my number that I have for many years has been leaked from somewhere. But that does not give people the right to bother me. 

*issed off.. call me once ok.. but then 2 months later again while i told him i was not interested. Wonder if i can report people somewhere. 

It's not just one person or company which has your number. So maybe different people, connected or independent from each other, call you.

The best way to handle this is to tell them "I am not interested" and hang up the phone.

If they do it again then do it again. Done in 5 seconds. Case closed.

Phone sales people want to make money. If they get a clear NO then they move on to other people. If they don't get a clear NO then maybe they try it again and again.

And maybe some sales people also have sometime fun and take the pi$$. Like: let's call this guy again, he always gets to angry, it's hilarious 

I don't se to get any since coming here (did in Australia a lot) I always told them very politely clearly and firmly not to call or have anyone from their organisation call me again, and, if I am on a database they have subscribed to or bought (as is usual with a lot of  tele-selling mobs) to remove me from their database immediately. I never got another call from the same mob twice.

Edited by Tropposurfer

10 hours ago, Denim said:

My mother had a good way of turning the tide with these pests. 

She would pretend interest on the first call....but before they could talk further my mum would interrupt  :

" Oh ....just a minute....someone at the front door. Be right back....don't go away "

She would then carry on with whatever it was she had been doing then return to the phone 20 minutes later and hang up. Their time wasted not hers. If they called back....same thing repeated.

Never got a third call.

Jim Florentine takes it to another level:

Edited by JimmyJ

9 hours ago, Pmbkk said:

Are you sure you've not been on the drugs...

Two of your biggest constant gripes - People from the UK and drunks.

All seems a little contrived..????

Seems to have a problem  with British  accents speaking  in British  English.  I wonder  if the OP has a listening skill  problem? Reading,  writing  listening and speaking are the four language skills. Perhaps the OP needs to develop his listening  skills. The English  language  being an international  Lingua Franca is spoken in a multiplicity of accents throughout the world. 'Bogan strine' is not that common or useful  but easy to  understand  because it uses so few words and only very simple easy, short  words.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

and just to make your point you call them between 1.00 a.m.- 2.00 a.m.

Meh.

These local (thailand) boiler rooms run 7x24 as they are calling globally.

Higher end boiler rooms can spoof a Caller ID.

Edited by mtls2005

9 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Seems to have a problem  with British  accents speaking  in British  English.  I wonder  if the OP has a listening skill  problem? Reading,  writing  listening and speaking are the four language skills. Perhaps the OP needs to develop his listening  skills. The English  language  being an international  Lingua Franca is spoken in a multiplicity of accents throughout the world. 'Bogan strine' is not that common or useful  but easy to  understand  because it uses so few words and only very simple easy, short  words.

I don't have problems with the normal Brit accent. That is why i said most Brits don't have a bad accent. So not sure where your coming from.  I do know a lot of brits have thin skin as they keep thinking im anti Brit because i made some remarks. Its alsmost as if its not allowed to be negative about certain Brit things. I said in an other topic it makes sense to switch to US english because its wider accepted. I guess that comment is still not forgiven. Seems some people from the UK worry about small things like that a lot.

This guy had an really bad accent,  if you think there are no bad accents in the UK i beg to differ there are some places and some people who are just totally understandable. 

14 hours ago, Caldera said:

Not at all. If the caller's number isn't in my contacts, I don't answer. No exceptions.

Originally, because random Thai people kept calling me (wrong number) and I couldn't be bothered anymore.

Thing is if you order stuff with lazada / shoppee ect you get called by people delivering said packages. So I will always have people calling me with numbers I don't know. Otherwise i would be able to ignore them all.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, robblok said:

Thing is if you order stuff with lazada / shoppee ect you get called by people delivering said packages. So I will always have people calling me with numbers I don't know. Otherwise i would be able to ignore them all.

True, they do try to call me. But there's no harm in not answering in my case, they'll simply drop off my packages at the condo office instead of meeting me.

35 minutes ago, robblok said:

I don't have problems with the normal Brit accent. That is why i said most Brits don't have a bad accent. So not sure where your coming from.  I do know a lot of brits have thin skin as they keep thinking im anti Brit because i made some remarks. Its alsmost as if its not allowed to be negative about certain Brit things. I said in an other topic it makes sense to switch to US english because its wider accepted. I guess that comment is still not forgiven. Seems some people from the UK worry about small things like that a lot.

This guy had an really bad accent,  if you think there are no bad accents in the UK i beg to differ there are some places and some people who are just totally understandable. 

I'm intrigued by your description of the caller's accent as "bad". Do you mean a strong regional accent, broad Scots maybe, Newcastle, Liverpool, Belfast? Sure they can be hard for southerners to comprehend too, but I don't think they qualify as "bad". I might find it hard following an Okie from Muskogee, or even a New Yorker's accent as a Brit. And Ozzie up talk is just nerve shredding. Yeah, come to think of it, that last one is 100% bad.

21 hours ago, robblok said:

Funny but i don't have the patience for that. Plus the guy had such a bad accent that it hurt my ears. I mean in general people from the UK are ok accent wise. But some have really bad accents. Im not good enough to recognize where this guy came from.  But encountered this accent before while fishing with some guys from the UK. Really made my ears hurt and so hard to understand. 

I mean it was pure torture to listen to him. I don't think he sells a lot of stuff ????

I bet it was a Liverpool accent. ????

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I bet it was a Liverpool accent. ????

No clue seriously. Only know i heard it before on a fishing lake in Hua hin, that caters to mainly UK anglers. But god it was horrible. I mean even if i needed something from the guy it would be torture to just listen to it. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I'm intrigued by your description of the caller's accent as "bad". Do you mean a strong regional accent, broad Scots maybe, Newcastle, Liverpool, Belfast? Sure they can be hard for southerners to comprehend too, but I don't think they qualify as "bad". I might find it hard following an Okie from Muskogee, or even a New Yorker's accent as a Brit. And Ozzie up talk is just nerve shredding. Yeah, come to think of it, that last one is 100% bad.

I mean strong, im Dutch so i might not always use the right word. Lets put it this way it was really hard to understand like he was swallowing his words. Bad IMHO means when an accent is so strong it confuses the other party and its a strain on my ears. But I really can't place the accent im sorry. 

But if your a telemarketeer like that guy i mean you should at least sound civil and drop your accent. Even I as a Dutch guy have a local Dutch accent and i can speak the more normal Dutch. Meaning i can decide to switch off my accent. 

Many in the Netherlands can switch off their local accent and then communicate in an more common form of Dutch.

16 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You have me wondering why you picked that particular declension.

Lesson 1 in Latin at my Grammar school in oh, 1969?

Funnily enough, although I would not claim to speak Latin, I do understand a lot of it. I took it at O level, and a lot has stayed with me. Being a left footer ( Catholic) helps of course.

For example, the other day I was watching a documentary on the dark ages. The presenter showed, and read out, a page from the Lindisfarne Gospels. I understood it.