Cold calls from other expats

robblok

12 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Probably Aussie or Saffa

Nope was UK for sure. Sorry but it was an accent i really heard before. Really bad. Not sure why people are so hung up where he is from. I only stated his accent was really bad had it been an Aussie with a bad accent i would have said it too.

Point being you expect people who do cold calls to be able to speak without an accent. That was why i commented on it.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I've never had a cold call from an expat. I get cold calls from people speaking Thai,  I just hang up.

I also get what I assume are text promotions in Thai, I delete them. If they can't be bothered to put them in English as well, I can't be bothered trying to read them.

Been receiving scamm calls from DHL in Thai (i know where my packages are or who delivers them) But according to that call i need to give them data. Its really anoying but i doubt that DHL would use a mobile number with a recorded message to call people. So i just ignore it.

I just don't like to be bothered by cold calls and if i tell them once im not interested then don't call me again. anyway i blocked the number.

I was just wondering how common this kind of call was. I mentioned the accent for 2 reasons it annoyed the <deleted> out of me and it was so distinct that if someone on the forum was called by him that poster would know what i was talking about. 

2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

When I get random calls, I immediately block that number so it never bothers me again. ????????

I think ill do that too in future. I had not done it as i thought i was clear last time. But i remembered this guy the moment he called. It was that distinct / annoying an accent. 

I need to pick up the phone for parcels so just cant ignore them. But from now on ill block them.

Those Thai ones that start with recorded messages are anoying. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Nope was UK for sure. Sorry but it was an accent i really heard before. Really bad. Not sure why people are so hung up where he is from. I only stated his accent was really bad had it been an Aussie with a bad accent i would have said it too.

Point being you expect people who do cold calls to be able to speak without an accent. That was why i commented on it.

I can understand where you are coming from. In Australia, a lot of call centres were outsourced to India and Pakistan. Resulting in a lot of frustrated Australians.

It got to the stage when I was about to place an order with a new company, I would ask them for their call centre number. Whether the company got the order or not hinged on who answered when I called.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

I think ill do that too in future. I had not done it as i thought i was clear last time. But i remembered this guy the moment he called. It was that distinct / annoying an accent. 

I need to pick up the phone for parcels so just cant ignore them. But from now on ill block them.

Those Thai ones that start with recorded messages are anoying. 

I get those instant play recordings, there is an option on the call centre menu (AIS) to block them. Check your provider they may have similar.

Just now, Lacessit said:

I can understand where you are coming from. In Australia, a lot of call centres were outsourced to India and Pakistan. Resulting in a lot of frustrated Australians.

It got to the stage when I was about to place an order with a new company, I would ask them for their call centre number. Whether the company got the order or not hinged on who answered when I called.

I had the pleasure of Indian support too when i had problems with my windows 10 key. Yes they can be difficult to understand at times. That was indeed my point that one would expect that people who are calling a lot at least get rid of their accent. Not pretending that my accent is good. I am Dutch so i probably have an accent too. But im not selling stuff on the phone.

• Like 1

Just now, CharlieH said:

I get those instant play recordings, there is an option on the call centre menu (AIS) to block them. Check your provider they may have similar.

Thanks, those instant play recordings are strange.

But I order a lot of stuff (recently not as much so i know there are no packages out). SO when DHL (probably not really DHL) calls me telling me i got pasadoek (parcel in thai) then i know something is wrong. But of course it goes so fast i could not even respond. 

I just ignored it as i knew it had to be a scam. 

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Thanks, those instant play recordings are strange.

But I order a lot of stuff (recently not as much so i know there are no packages out). SO when DHL (probably not really DHL) calls me telling me i got pasadoek (parcel in thai) then i know something is wrong. But of course it goes so fast i could not even respond. 

I just ignored it as i knew it had to be a scam. 

Those claiming to be DHL, you can of course just hang up, but if your actually expecting a DHL package, simply ask them for the waybill number, to match your records, that results in a hang up, I then block that nimber as confirmed idiot.

I am in Thailand and a Thai lady cold called me, when I spoke english she said sorry not speak english. I said I don't speak Thai and hung up. The strange thing is that the call was coming from England.

40 minutes ago, robblok said:

Because couriers delivering packages call me too. So i do pickup numbers that I dont know.

He he. I knew you were going to say that. I remember a thread about deliveries because for the life of me I don't understand why some people need so many things ( as I mentioned in the interesting/fun lazada thread today that was shut down for some unknown reason). But even on the rare occasion I get an appliance delivered or food I know when it's coming so I would answer the phone at that time ( they can also leave a message ) you can't possibly still be ordering that much <deleted> can you? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Can i help it that it was a Brit.

This "story" is falling apart - initially it was from the UK, now a Brit' ( you do realise the difference ?). 

I bet you Germans all sound the same(pun intended ) ????

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Probably Aussie or Saffa

I doubt it.  The British hands down have the most whacked out accents outside London as another poster just mentioned.  The country is the size of a peanut ( 33 states in the USA are larger in area ) and guys from two villages over from each other don't even sound the same.  In the USA many many times when someone outside London is interviewed or on TV there will be captions in English!  It's extremely common. 

43 minutes ago, robblok said:

I had the pleasure of Indian support too when i had problems with my windows 10 key. Yes they can be difficult to understand at times. That was indeed my point that one would expect that people who are calling a lot at least get rid of their accent. Not pretending that my accent is good. I am Dutch so i probably have an accent too. But im not selling stuff on the phone.

But many Indians and even a lot of Asians have very good vocabulary BUT they speak extremely fast.  That bothers me a lot. How can you spend sooo much time learning a language but pass over pronunciation? I mean I try to learn Thai a lot but I realize pronunciation ( and perhaps covering over my farang face while speaking ) are very important. As soon as I learned 4 or 5 word sentences I'm understood by a lot of Thais.  But one word over and over is often never understood. It's funny and frustrating! I can speak some Spanish and Japanese too but I concentrate heavily on standard pronunciation. In English it's of course American English but that topic has been dealt with on here quite a lot and several posters still can't grasp the plain old facts.  But I'll save that for a summer thread perhaps. 

Funny to see this topic after missed call from an unknown number. I don't answer my phone unless I am expecting a call or they're in my contact list, it stays on silent mode.

There is an application called Whoscall that I use also. It uses a database so sometimes if the number matches on in the DB it will say something like "call center" "scam" etc. 

Got no time of patience to deal with unsolicited calls, I try put as many things in my wifes number as possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Because couriers delivering packages call me too. So i do pickup numbers that I dont know.

You keep digging        - those "couriers" from whoever delivering whatever... you shouldn't mention drugs so much....

Stick to alcohol.. 

Meant as a joke ????

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, robblok said:

To be honest i don't recall. He just called but his name and his really bad accent just popped back up. A guy like that is not suitable for cold calls with an accent like that. He almost sounded drunk.  

So i told him that this was the second time he called me. And i told him last time to stop bothering me. 

I never answer my phone if I don't recognize the number. (easy on cell phone, just dismiss it) I also block the number so it can't call me again.

• Like 1

"Coffee is for closers."

I NEVER answer calls from numbers I don't recognize via the contact name.

I let them go to voicemail, where they hear my greeting and realize they dialed the wrong number. And thais seem freakishly frightened of voicemail.

If someone keeps calling I block them.

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

When I get random calls, I immediately block that number so it never bothers me again. ????????

Now I understand why you never answer my calls.
Just want to inform you about the latest prices of Durian and fish sauce.

On today's phones, you can give your contacts special ringtones, and easy for me, as only have 4 numbers on my speed dial list; wife, daughter & two IOs who do long stay extensions.  

If not their ringtone, I don't even need to look at my phone, if not wanting.  With each delivery call, I assign an ID, as usually the same < 10 people anyway.  I actually know when they'll be calling, and deny, then call them back, as my calls are free.  Won't bother 2nd time they call, as that means they're out in front of the house.

Edited by KhunLA

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

That's a bit rich, when the UK has about 50 different accents cooped up in a country that's barely bigger than Australia's smallest mainland state.

I still remember our Latin teacher from Birmingham, took us 6 months to understand what the hell he was saying.

Wonderful! I'm trying to imagine declining "Amo, Amas, Amat" in a Brummie accent!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Denim said:

My mother had a good way of turning the tide with these pests. 

She would pretend interest on the first call....but before they could talk further my mum would interrupt  :

" Oh ....just a minute....someone at the front door. Be right back....don't go away "

She would then carry on with whatever it was she had been doing then return to the phone 20 minutes later and hang up. Their time wasted not hers. If they called back....same thing repeated.

Never got a third call.

Yep I used to do the same back home.  Would go about my business but talking to myself like I really did have someone visiting.  Worked every time.

Never happens here.  I only get hot calls.....heavy breathing, groaning in a husky voice etc.  I'm very attentive to those............................