Cold calls from other expats

robblok

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

Easy to block numbers on mobile phones.

That is what i just did, it just pisses me off when people call me trying to sell <deleted>. I thought i was clear enough. I mean call me once can be excused. But repeating it is just stupid.

• Like 2

Just now, Denim said:

My mother had a good way of turning the tide with these pests. 

She would pretend interest on the first call....but before they could talk further my mum would interrupt  :

" Oh ....just a minute....someone at the front door. Be right back....don't go away "

She would then carry on with whatever it was she had been doing then return to the phone 20 minutes later and hang up. Their time wasted not hers. If they called back....same thing repeated.

Never got a third call.

Funny but i don't have the patience for that. Plus the guy had such a bad accent that it hurt my ears. I mean in general people from the UK are ok accent wise. But some have really bad accents. Im not good enough to recognize where this guy came from.  But encountered this accent before while fishing with some guys from the UK. Really made my ears hurt and so hard to understand. 

I mean it was pure torture to listen to him. I don't think he sells a lot of stuff ????

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I bet he was a pension or investment salesman - easily the most annoying.  If you are an expat they assume they can drain your pension fund with QROPS etc.

I block the numbers, but they pop up again with another number.

I noticed the calls often followed messages I received on LinkedIn, where a 'recruitment consultant' said she had "an interesting opportunity for me, and could I provide a convenient number so she could call".  

Since I stopped responding to these messages, the cold calls also stopped.  Both practices are illegal in some countries (UK, Australia etc), but you'd need to get details of the company, and they be not be based in a regulated region.

• Like 1

Depending on my mood I either just tell them I am not interested, hang up and block their number, or I ask them where they got my number from and keep them on the phone a while. They can't afford to waste time and need to get on to the next call.

A couple of months ago I started getting calls from the US and Singapore. I asked them where they got my number from and they told me the name of some company. There must be someone selling data lists from hacks.

One guy from Singapore was quite persistent until I started getting angry and saiid something along the lines of "OK then! Come on! What are you selling? Let's waste both our times!" He answered, "No need to be like that." and hung up.

The ones that I find really annoying are those pre-recorded Thai calls. Always seem to be when I am doing something. Answer the phone and get some Thai woman spouting off about something.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Denim said:

My mother had a good way of turning the tide with these pests. 

She would pretend interest on the first call....but before they could talk further my mum would interrupt  :

" Oh ....just a minute....someone at the front door. Be right back....don't go away "

She would then carry on with whatever it was she had been doing then return to the phone 20 minutes later and hang up. Their time wasted not hers. If they called back....same thing repeated.

Never got a third call.

Got something on stove

49 minutes ago, robblok said:

Funny but i don't have the patience for that. Plus the guy had such a bad accent that it hurt my ears. I mean in general people from the UK are ok accent wise. But some have really bad accents. Im not good enough to recognize where this guy came from.  But encountered this accent before while fishing with some guys from the UK. Really made my ears hurt and so hard to understand. 

I mean it was pure torture to listen to him. I don't think he sells a lot of stuff ????

Northern Ireland accents are painful to listen to maybe he was from there, anyway block the number no point getting stressed about it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pmbkk said:

Are you sure you've not been on the drugs...

Two of your biggest constant gripes - People from the UK and drunks.

All seems a little contrived..????

I can give you his phone number in PM if you don't believe me.

Sounded drunk not saying he was drunk was just a horrible accent. 

Maybe you should grow a thicker skin as this was not against UK people as i said that people from the UK in general were OK accent wise. So stop being so paranoid.

Can i help it that it was a Brit. But if you want ill send you his nr by PM then you can confirm by yourself. No idea why i should make something like this up.

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Northern Ireland accents are painful to listen to maybe he was from there, anyway block the number no point getting stressed about it

To be honest i have no clue what region the guy came from. Just that it was really bad and I once had an experience like that before during fishing. So im sure it was an UK accent. My point was more that with an accent like that the guy should not be on the phone.

And yes I blocked him now. Just got <deleted> off that he tried it twice. 

49 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

I bet he was a pension or investment salesman - easily the most annoying.  If you are an expat they assume they can drain your pension fund with QROPS etc.

I block the numbers, but they pop up again with another number.

I noticed the calls often followed messages I received on LinkedIn, where a 'recruitment consultant' said she had "an interesting opportunity for me, and could I provide a convenient number so she could call".  

Since I stopped responding to these messages, the cold calls also stopped.  Both practices are illegal in some countries (UK, Australia etc), but you'd need to get details of the company, and they be not be based in a regulated region.

I used to get these a few years ago on my Thai number. Typically well spoken English trying to rip off other British expats with "investments" or pension advice. Boiler room type scam. Easy to block their numbers.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

To be honest i don't recall. He just called but his name and his really bad accent just popped back up. A guy like that is not suitable for cold calls with an accent like that. He almost sounded drunk.  

So i told him that this was the second time he called me. And i told him last time to stop bothering me. 

You should have put on a drunk voice and acted weird..

Hello yeah i just finnnnisheeeeed mmmy 20tthhhh beeeeer

Nooooooow immmm haviinng cakeèeeeee do youuuuu like cakeeeeee? I likeeeee cakeeee

To be honest i don't recall. He just called but his name and his really bad accent just popped back up. A guy like that is not suitable for cold calls with an accent like that. He almost sounded drunk.  

So i told him that this was the second time he called me. And i told him last time to stop bothering me. 

Why do you answer your phone anyways? I know who may call me their name shows up. Also if it's someone you don't have in contacts have a voice mail set up and call them back.  Also in this day of texting who gets calls even from friends anymore? When I'm back in the States in the late Spring to early Fall I ignore about 75% of incoming calls. About 90% are scams that leave a message or people ( most likely scammers ) who don't leave a message.  My Thai friends tell me they are getting a lot these calls here. Be careful .... when a smooth speaking lady with a friendly easy to understand American accent calls,  you may be swooned and give her all your personal bank info! 

Probably Aussie or Saffa

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, bradiston said:

Probably Aussie or Saffa

That's a bit rich, when the UK has about 50 different accents cooped up in a country that's barely bigger than Australia's smallest mainland state.

I still remember our Latin teacher from Birmingham, took us 6 months to understand what the hell he was saying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've never had a cold call from an expat. I get cold calls from people speaking Thai,  I just hang up.

I also get what I assume are text promotions in Thai, I delete them. If they can't be bothered to put them in English as well, I can't be bothered trying to read them.

• Like 2