My thoughts on first becoming an expat in Thailand and a to-do list

webfact

1 hour ago, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

Why do people think that we ( expats ) really want to read what a person did or has done. We are all here for a vast majority of reasons and generally we are happy with our lot our choices. Certainly things could have gone better for some adn some have left for equally in many cases private reasons.

Can ASEAN NOW, please restrict the burblings of some to extinction as this man certainly does not in any way reflect the vast majority of English speaking expats, of that I am certain.  

Ah, Sir, you overstep as you do not speak for me as an English speaking Expat in Thailand for over a decade.

4 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Nice little advert. Sadly lacking on anything interesting or useful or journalistic skill. Come on guys, you can do better than this! I was expecting some useful tips on becoming an expat in Thailand and a "to do list" to learn from. Most of us here expect better. Please...

Agreed, maybe a 'what not to do' list would be more interesting.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

To do list: 

First research all the main cities and resorts online. OK

Check their climate, as Phuket and say Koh Chang islands have perhaps more varied and wetter climates than say Pattaya. Mostly the same everywhere except for the North/South thing.

I would recommend going to live in your selected destination at least for 3-4 weeks staying in a condo or villa rather than a hotel. then you get a feel for the place as a resident. 1 month minimum if your first time long stay hotel is fine

Meet a good agency that can handle visas, work permits and driving licences. Pay a bit extra and they will get it all done for you. You won't find this until you make friends

Finally, go to some of the local expat clubs and golf groups etc;  and talk to the members who will be able to give you all the low down. Golf maybe OK but avoid any expat themed clubs like the plaque. Especially in resort towns. 

1 minute ago, swm59nj said:

The author forgot to add one thing.

Having to deal with some expats who are miserable and spend their time  personally insulting and condemning others.  

I guess that comes with the given information of some journalistic skills. The story has the quality of being written by someone that just found a keyboard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The absolute" to do"  on this list is free housing.  Myself an others offered house sitting,fact is small allowance too for maintenance, as most will never sell,and if they do guaranteed another house to sit in for another 10 years or so of free house sitting