Levi’s to open 100 stores in Thailand before summer

webfact

screenshot_17522.jpg

LEVI'S NEXTGEN STORE COURTESY

BY LIZ WARREN

Levi Strauss & Co. (LS&Co.) is expanding its retail presence in Asia following positive traction in the region. The heritage denim brand company announced plans to launch new Levi’s stores and update existing ones throughout the East Asia Pacific region including locations in Japan, Australia, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand. Within the first half of 2022 alone, it will open more than 100 locations in Thailand.

“Thailand is an important market for us, and Levi’s is recognized as the No. 1 jeans brand here,” said Sameer Koul, LS&Co. general manager, Southeast Asia. “Through digital innovation, we are reshaping brand experiences for a younger generation of style-conscious consumers, and we will stay true to our values by placing people at the heart of our business and by being an advocate for positive change through responsible practices.”

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Levi’s expansion news follows a record year of success for the brand, which reached a revenue mark of over $5.8 billion—a 29 percent improvement from 2020 and its highest since 1998. 

Full story: https://sourcingjournal.com/denim/denim-brands/levis-asia-pacific-expansion-nextgen-stores-thailand-latin-america-339397/

screenshot_17523.jpg

-- © Copyright Sourcing Journal 2022-04-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tim207 said:

my recollection is a " levi's going out of buisness sale" sign at both terminal 21 and at robinsons in chantaburri as recent as a few months ago. I suppose these stores could just be resellers but i thought they were brand owned.

I read another article that Levis TH are taking retail ‘in-house’ from their previous distributors. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tim207 said:

my recollection is a " levi's going out of buisness sale" sign at both terminal 21 and at robinsons in chantaburri as recent as a few months ago. I suppose these stores could just be resellers but i thought they were brand owned.

Correct, Levi's just closed their pattaya branch at terminal 21 and at central. 

1 hour ago, law ling said:

Good luck to them, but:

1. Will they sell anything other than a 28 inch waist? - I sure they won't have my size.

2. Isn't denim really just too hot and heavy for around here?

3. I think most Thais will prefer cheaper brands and "copies".

I am sick of the copies and I always liked Levi's jeans but like you I worry about the sizing.

• Haha 1

The Levi's made in Thailand aren't expensive and stores stock up to 40" waist but mainly only inseam 36".  However... they are made of local Denim and you cannot compare the quality with the product you buy in the Western world. They are ok and as imported brands ( like G-Star or Evisu ) have a hilarious price tag, it's not a bad choice.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tim207 said:

Also CentralWorld and Samui. The one in CentralWorld had an "80% off Closing Sale" when I was there mid Feb.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tim207 said:

I remember reading that Levis had ended their distribution agreement with DKSH recently and were now dealing directly as the parent company in thailand. I assume the stores closing are those tied up with the old distributer.   

• Like 1

My problem with the used jeans shops is that their stock runs too big for me. And I’m 6’3”. Pretty funny. Lot’s of 40” plus waist jeans. Manage to find a few of the original name brands, usually better than the numerous others.

4 hours ago, Tim207 said:

They ended a 25-year distribution contract with a DKSH (consumer goods div.) recently, pretty sure this is how why have your "recollection", and are going on their own.

thailand is a huge market, and Levi's is probably one of the top five fashion brands, re: awareness (with demographics decidedly foreign to the AseanNow crowd).

100 outlets in thailand sounds aspirational, maybe in five years. 

I'm not sure Pepsi ever recovered from their break with Sermsuk (~2006), but those circumstances and that segment are different.

Edited by mtls2005

2 hours ago, law ling said:

Good luck to them, but:...

2. Isn't denim really just too hot and heavy for around here?

Good for when going to local movie theatres...and a down parka.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Deli said:

The Levi's made in Thailand aren't expensive and stores stock up to 40" waist but mainly only inseam 36".  However... they are made of local Denim and you cannot compare the quality with the product you buy in the Western world. They are ok and as imported brands ( like G-Star or Evisu ) have a hilarious price tag, it's not a bad choice.

Actually, I have found that Levi quality has gone done noticeably in the west.   Seams come apart, material becomes threadbare, etc.    Those may be the Chinese made ones only though, I've had better luck with the Mexican made Levis.    Having said that, you may be correct that the local ones are not even up to that standard.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I thought they were called "Levy's" here?

At least, that is what they sell in all the markets up here!

Yes. -  for sale next to the Filla sandals & the Kristian Dior bags  LOL 

Have bought jeans about 3 times from Levi shop and few t-shirts. The jeans were not far off uk prices but the waist sizes were 2-3 sizes out every time and the material was very thin and soft but not in a high quality way.

Their stuff seems ok for women shopping there , but I now just get all my clothes brought out from uk as sizes and quality here are rarely any good for decent clothes.

1 minute ago, ronster said:

Have bought jeans about 3 times from Levi shop and few t-shirts. The jeans were not far off uk prices but the waist sizes were 2-3 sizes out every time and the material was very thin and soft but not in a high quality way.

This was in thailand? Recently?

Which model?

Which store? Where exactly?

Where were these manufactured?

Which waist/inseam size? 

AFAIK, Levis are not manufactured here in thailand.

They do have plants in nearby countries.

Based on your comments I think you got snookered.

I guess the good thing is that this American company's jeans won't need to travel far to get here. 

As of 2019, the vast majority of Levi's are made overseas in a number of developing countries, such as India, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, and Indonesia, due to the availability of cheap labor and raw materials.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levi_Strauss_%26_Co.