Why are westerners so offended over the word farang? Get over it.

webfact

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:
2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

WRONG - Disney do not to that. 

Local residents, not matter their nationality get local residents price. 

What you are alluding to is IF a Thai person is a resident of Florida, lives and works in Florida and has proof of his residency there, he will be charged extra because he is Thai while his American neighbour will be charged the local residents discount...... This is not true at all. 

Expand  

'Walt Disney World Resort! Florida Residents can save 40% on 4-Day Tickets and 30% on 3-Day Tickets"

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/destinations/florida-residents-tickets-passes/&ved=2ahUKEwipzcXQraf3AhWlTmwGHUxMBisQFnoECBUQBQ&usg=AOvVaw1uz6dNkgkJFVLIzBrLLQSa

Charlie... you are cherry picking a flawed misunderstanding on your part. 

RESIDENT.......   a Thai resident of Florida will be charged the same as any other resident of Florida.

The discount is NOT based on nationality or race, the discount is only based on residency.

A Thai resident (or resident of any nationality or race) will receive the same discount as their American neighbour (IF he also holds residency of the state of Florida). 

Do not use this as an example of ‘dual pricing’ its not the same - its a broken example and highlights a deliberate manipulation of facts. 

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Thats a state price which is "locals" price. In Thailand its not the same. Say you live in Chiang Mai and go to Bangkok for muay thai you pay Thai price.

If they charged Chiang Mai people the same as foreigners fair enough but they don't.

In my opinion, Thais use the word farang to mean foreigner, and to them ANYONE who is NOT THAI is a farang (foreigner).

Of course there will be variants depending on tone and use in a  given situation but thats the broad general meaning and intent. In my view.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Then dont play there. Goat track anyway. Vic is a weird state.

I've never seen 3 way prices at any course in NSW or QLd.

I'

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Local residents, regardless of their nationality or race, get local residents price. 

What you are alluding to is IF a Thai person is a resident of Florida, lives and works in Florida and has proof of his residency there, he will be charged extra because he is Thai while his American neighbour will be charged the local residents discount...... This is not true at all. 

You'll be saying Thai students don't pay more at UK universities(probably US and OZ too). 

All countries have dual pricing, don't be a selective basher and say only Thailand does. 

Foreign students have to pay 13k at my daughter's uni, South Wales despite having UK citizenship!! 

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Charlie... you are cherry picking a flawed misunderstanding on your part. 

RESIDENT.......   a Thai resident of Florida will be charged the same as any other resident of Florida.

The discount is NOT based on nationality or race, the discount is only based on residency.

A Thai resident (or resident of any nationality or race) will receive the same discount as their American neighbour (IF he also holds residency of the state of Florida). 

Do not use this as an example of ‘dual pricing’ its not the same - its a broken example and highlights a deliberate manipulation of facts. 

I didnt say it was, I was replying to another post about dual pricing. nowhere did that speak of race, thsts your addition, seems we are at cross purpose here.

• Like 1

Just now, CharlieH said:

In my opinion, Thais use the word farang to mean foreigner, and to them ANYONE who is NOT THAI is a farang (foreigner).

Of course there will be variants depending on tone and use in a  given situation but thats the broad general meaning and intent. In my view.

Which is just a word but if I use the G word they get upset. They can't have it both ways.

But not a big deal compared to other things. Visa deal is terrible. Dual pricing is terrible.

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
36 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Wrong you were charged as a non member.

I was charged as a foreign guest, my Ozzie friend was charged as an Australian guest. They have a three tier price system, those living in Victoria, Interstate guests and foreigners. 

IF you were a resident of Victoria you would have been charged the same price as other residents of Victoria. 

You were not charged based on Nationality alone, you were not a resident of Victoria or any other Australian states. Therefore you were charged as a foreigner.

Geeeezzzz....  Why is this simple concept so hard for people to understand - being charged according to Residency is not the same as being charged according to Nationality. 

Edited by richard_smith237

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Correct, been here long enough to know how it is. When I am asked to sing, at my Thai in-laws place, you will hear the whispers...

"Ah, Farang songs"....

Followed by fast exits.......????

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I'

You'll be saying Thai students don't pay more at UK universities(probably US and OZ too). 

All countries have dual pricing, don't be a selective basher and say only Thailand does. 

Foreign students have to pay 13k at my daughter's uni, South Wales despite having UK citizenship!! 

Don't blame me

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
26 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Then dont play there. Goat track anyway. Vic is a weird state.

I've never seen 3 way prices at any course in NSW or QLd.

I'

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Local residents, regardless of their nationality or race, get local residents price. 

Expand  

They don’t. 

My Thai friends have lived in the UK for the past 10 years or so.

Their son pays the same as any other British resident who has been in the UK for more than 3 years, yet he is 100% Thai (no British passport). 

British residents, no matter their nationality pay the same fee’s as all other British residents (if they have been in the UK for at least 3 years). 

When I send my Son to University in the UK, even though he is British (and Thai) he will have to pay international students fee’s unless he has been in the UK for the past 3 years or more. 

So... Neeraman - again, your example remains flawed - the pricing is based on residency, NOT nationality. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

IF you were a resident of Victoria you would have been charged the same price as other residents of Victoria. 

You were not charged based on Nationality alone, you were not a resident of Victoria or any other Australian states. Therefore you were charged as a foreigner.

Not sure about that. You are right about Disneyworld but.

Edited by Neeranam

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

They don’t. 

My Thai friends have lived in the UK for the past 10 years or so.

Their son pays the same as any other British resident who has been in the UK for more than 3 years, yet he is 100% Thai (no British passport). 

British residents, no matter their nationality pay the same fee’s as all other British residents (if they have been in the UK for at least 3 years). 

When I send my Son to University in the UK, even though he is British (and Thai) he will have to pay international students fee’s unless he has been in the UK for the past 3 years or more. 

So... Neeraman - again, your example remains flawed - the pricing is based on residency, NOT nationality.

Correct em if I'm wrong, but you're comparing fees charged at a golf course with those charged at a university? Why not do a price comparison for Australian nationals vs foreigners at any university in Australia?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Still discrimination. A foreigner wanting to study in the UK has to live there for 3 years before getting the same fees as a local. 

Foreign students coming to Thailand get equal treatment.

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Theme parks in Oz have a locals price but its like 100km area not state. Otherwise locals not go much. Mostly tourists. A Thai with a local license pays local price. A Thai guest wouls pay Perth price.

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

IF you live in Victoria, have a driving licence with your address in Victoria....   Would you be charged as a resident of Victoria, OR as an overseas foreigner ?

How does any other Resident of Victoria prove they are a resident of Victoria and not Western Australia or Queensland etc ???? 

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

Still discrimination. A foreigner wanting to study in the UK has to live there for 3 years before getting the same fees as a local. 

Protecting the locals. Foreigners cant buy land in Thailand. They can in Oz.

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Correct em if I'm wrong, but you're comparing fees charged at a golf course with those charged at a university? Why not do a price comparison for Australian nationals vs foreigners at any university in Australia?

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/ockhamsrazor/why-are-international-students-charged-high-fees/6908188#:~:text=Australian universities charge international students,in fees than domestic students.&text=Whatsapp-,Australian universities charge international students up to four,in fees than domestic students.

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

IF you live in Victoria, have a driving licence with your address in Victoria....   Would you be charged as a resident of Victoria, OR as an overseas foreigner ?

How does any other Resident of Victoria prove they are a resident of Victoria and not Western Australia or Queensland etc ???? 

Pay based on licence.

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

My friend showed a DL, so even if he lived abroad, would still have got the Oz price.

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:
10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its not discrimination at all. 

A British citizen who wants to study in the UK ALSO has to live there for 3 years before getting the same fees as British Residents. 

There is no difference in treatment between students of any nationality who have not lived in the UK for 3 years. 

My Son (British) will be treated exactly the same as his Thai Peers IF they have no lived in the UK. 

IF my Sons school friends move to the UK for 3 years or more before attending University, they will get the UK residents rates, why my Son will have to pay overseas students rates if he has not been there for 3 years. 

This is NOT based on nationality - it is based on residency. 

22 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Chinese and Japanese are not call farangs, nor are blacks.

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

IF a Thai, American, British, Chinese person works, lives, becomes resident of Australia.... Are their children charged overseas fees ????????  

The fact is that Australian and British universities charge foreign students much more than locals. If these countries stopped practices like this then maybe Thailand would reciprocate. 

Sure, the prospective student could go and live there for 3 years before studying, but likewise the expat in Thailand could get Citizenship is married and worked here for 3 years then get the local price for things. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

IF a Thai, American, British, Chinese person works, lives, becomes resident of Australia.... Are their children charged overseas fees ????????  

The fact is that Australian and British universities charge foreign students much more than locals. If these countries stopped practices like this then maybe Thailand would reciprocate. 

Sure, the prospective student could go and live there for 3 years before studying, but likewise the expat in Thailand could get Citizenship if married and worked here for 3 years then get the local price for things. 

Edited by Neeranam

5 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

It's funny after reading 22 odd pages of this that it suddenly struck me.

It's white folks that are the outraged.

Maybe it's the first time you have ever been called names.

I'm Hispanic and like everyone else like me I've been called names all my life, and you grow thick skin, shrug your shoulders and laugh it off.

Is it right? Of course not, but the old saying ;'sticks and stones will break my bones, but names will never hurt me' rings pretty true.

So isn't it so funny that a simple word 'farang' stabs the heart of white folks.

Grow up and face the world a lot of us have lived all our lives

Been called names since I was 5yo. No big deal, just pointing out it's wrong. Gringo is also a racist word. You would know that one.

Racists everywhere yet "whites" always cop the blame. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Is it right? Of course not, but the old saying ;'sticks and stones will break my bones, but names will never hurt me' rings pretty true.

So isn't it so funny that a simple word 'farang' stabs the heart of white folks.

Grow up and face the world a lot of us have lived all our lives

Your reaction is to comments on a forum in response to questions asked. 

I don’t think anyone goes around and displays visible or vocal outrage or offence when they hear the word....  they are not ‘stabbed in the heart’.... 

But when asked on a forum such as this, they have an opinion.

As you have and you voiced that opinion just when you pointed out that slurs against hispanics are not right... you don’t let it impact your you day, or your life, but, you do have an opinion that they are not acceptable. 

This is the same for many people who are voicing their distaste at the use of the word farang in certain situations....  They don’t let it ruin their day, they probably don’t even raise an eyebrow. However, when asked for their opinion on the subject in a forum such as this they voice their opinion. 

Thats it, no one is crying or getting upset or reacting as you point out. 

Your virtue signalling because you’ve heard racist terms against you is misplaced... this is just a discussion. 

But... just because you’ve been the target or racist slurs which doesn’t bother you, that does not weaken the intensity of a racists slur against someone who is not considered a minority in your eyes.

A racist slur is a racist slur not matter the target... and the word ‘farang’ can be used as a racist slur, most commonly in Thailand it isn’t, but people recognise it could be clumsy....    

3 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Been called names since I was 5yo. No big deal, just pointing out it's wrong. Gringo is also a racist word. You would know that one.

Racists everywhere yet "whites" always cop the blame. 

Nobody said the whites are to blame. What is true is that the white outrage machine is doing most of the complaining. The racist epithets which Asians are called in Australia, the UK and the US, at least, are terrible. The word farang is very mild by comparison and most dispute that it is even disparaging.

• Like 1