Electric Vehicles in Thailand

55 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

i took a closer look at the BYD Seal at the motor show (march 2023).

i really like its exterior, but i find the interior design to be overloaded ...

it's a pity that the Seal is still not available in thailand and we do not have

any information about the pricing yet ...

image.jpeg

That's a matter of taste - I like the BYD Seal interior, certainly much superior to the Ikea interior of the Tesla!

• Thumbs Up 2

23 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I am also concerned that the performance figures for both cars are identical and yet according to the spec sheet they have the same power motor but different weights, this doesn't add up.

Do keep us posted on this if you ever get to the bottom it. It’s difficult for consumers to make informed purchase decisions if you don’t have all the facts

22 hours ago, motdaeng said:

took a closer look at the BYD Seal at the motor show (march 2023).

i really like its exterior, but i find the interior design to be overloaded

I didn’t like the blue interior of the BYD Seal at the motor show. However I think the dark interior is much more toned down. This is quite a good video of the dark interior. Be interested to hear your thoughts.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, motdaeng said:

it's a pity that the Seal is still not available in thailand and we do not have

any information about the pricing yet ...

BYD Seal is definitely coming to Thailand, that was what I was told at the motor show. As for price, as it is the Atto 4 I would expect to cost more that the Atto 3, so over ฿1.2m and as BYD likes to price it’s cars less than Tesla, so less than ฿1.9m. BYD gets government incentives but Tesla doesn’t.

BYD Seal Wrapped in Camouflage has been seen testing in Bangkok

IMG_1069.jpeg.d86ec3b1542586da0f986b044f1584c3.jpeg

IMG_1070.jpeg.4af1ddf5a99f144458d2686b5df70862.jpeg

• Love It 1

6 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

I didn’t like the blue interior of the BYD Seal at the motor show. However I think the dark interior is much more toned down. This is quite a good video of the dark interior. Be interested to hear your thoughts.

I like the dark interior on the seal

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I saw a metallic pink BYD Dolphin this morning, it reminded me of a Honda Jazz.

I love the colour, not many guys confident enough to choose that colour I think.

It gets the pink treatment inside also which is a step too far for me, at least the purple one has a brown and black interior .

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

BYD Seal is definitely coming to Thailand, that was what I was told at the motor show. As for price, as it is the Atto 4 I would expect to cost more that the Atto 3, so over ฿1.2m and as BYD likes to price it’s cars less than Tesla, so less than ฿1.9m. BYD gets government incentives but Tesla doesn’t.

BYD Seal Wrapped in Camouflage has been seen testing in Bangkok

IMG_1069.jpeg.d86ec3b1542586da0f986b044f1584c3.jpeg

IMG_1070.jpeg.4af1ddf5a99f144458d2686b5df70862.jpeg

A farang posted on FB that he already made a deposit on the Seal  ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

And that Chinese cars are crap

I loved / love my crappy Chinese ICEV & EV.  So much better than the even crappier USA & Japanese brands that I've owned way too many of. 

My Chinese vehicles both tech savvy and out performed the rest, all at a better price.   How could I be so stupid to buy Chinese ????

I really miss going to the petrol station, every week and waiting to pay to drive my Chinese crap that I already paid for.  Damn that MG ZS EV ... just taking the joy out of owning a car ????

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Don’t you find it strange that the camp of EV lovers and EV haters are generally populated with those that own an EV and those that have never owned an EV respectively.

One group has formed an opinion on experience and the other on ignorance and prejudice. It screams to me.

Like cats...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mistral53 said:

Here is a solid support for the worn out claim the Chinese are stealing technology from Western companies..........NOT!

https://carnewschina.com/2023/08/02/germans-are-waiving-the-white-flag-in-china-as-vw-plans-to-use-ev-platforms-from-leapmotor-saic-and-xpeng/

Only thing surprising about that news-blip, is ignorant people still believed CH makes inferior autos.  VW certainly doesn't believe the BS, as SAIC alone (one of the Big Four in CH) jointly produces 19 models of VW already. Along with 3 Audis & 12 Skodas models @ 6 different facilities in CH.

Shh .... don't tell anybody ????

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

I understand that BYD and mg ev cars are subsidized by Thai govt while Telsa and others are noteg Volvo.. Can anyone share what the subsidies are , what criteria were used and how much are the subsidies / expiry ? 

Thanks 

https://www.tilleke.com/insights/thailand-approves-incentives-to-promote-electric-vehicle-adoption-and-manufacturing/

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

I understand that BYD and mg ev cars are subsidized by Thai govt while Telsa and others are noteg Volvo.. Can anyone share what the subsidies are , what criteria were used and how much are the subsidies / expiry ? 

Thanks 

Wouldn't call it subsidies, as some companies simply take advantage of the Thai import duties, for manufacturers that produce autos in TH, whole or part, with import incentives.   Same worldwide, and why all Japanese auto makers have production facilities in the USA.

Tax breaks & govt incentives to do so, to support that country's economy, whether TH, USA or elsewhere.

Win win for both countries.

Then you have the anti CH folks, USA for example, just gave incentives to USA companies, to only produce & use USA made components & batteries for their EV production.   Basically penalizing the use of Chinese imports.

Fine and dandy, their right to do so, but going to cost the consumer, with inferior products at a higher price. Big business wins again.

And they vote to put these people in office ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info . BYD dealer informed me that the price is suppose to be 1 million baht for the dolphin extended and thus might be that price once subsidies are eliminated . This can about when the insurance coverage was at 1 million instead of purchase price of 849,000 baht.

The dealer did not give much details of this subsidy that is why I asked in the forum . So basically the lower price of BYD/mg compared to Tesla /Volvo  is the tax incentive given because BYD and mg have committed to build in Thailand unlike Tesla or Volvo ex30 at this time who only enjoy less import tax for ev cars 

23 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

Thanks for the info . BYD dealer informed me that the price is suppose to be 1 million baht for the dolphin extended and thus might be that price once subsidies are eliminated . This can about when the insurance coverage was at 1 million instead of purchase price of 849,000 baht.

The dealer did not give much details of this subsidy that is why I asked in the forum . So basically the lower price of BYD/mg compared to Tesla /Volvo  is the tax incentive given because BYD and mg have committed to build in Thailand unlike Tesla or Volvo ex30 at this time who only enjoy less import tax for ev cars 

It should be said there was many unhappy Tesla owners in China In January 2023

Some Tesla dealership hinted that the cars would increase in price as a result of the Chinese subsidy programme ending in December 2022 and owners were advised don't wait buy now. Customers missed out on Price reductions in both October 2022 and January 2023. after the last round of price reductions Tesla cars in China ordered In January 2023 were cheaper with no subsidy in place than those that were ordered with a subsidy

https://www.scmp.com/business/china-business/article/3206145/ire-over-teslas-surprise-china-price-cuts-highlights-challenge-premium-ev-brands-consumers-tighten

It should be said in most auto Brands dealers are the last to be informed if there are price increases or decreases planned

Edited by vinny41
add

20 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

So basically the lower price of BYD/mg compared to Tesla /Volvo  is the tax incentive given because BYD and mg have committed to build in Thailand unlike Tesla or Volvo ex30 at this time who only enjoy less import tax for ev cars 

That's about right.  

Our MG ZS EV MSRP was ฿1,189,000

- ฿240k incentive = ฿949,000 purchase price.

With insured value of ฿960,000 if totaled.

= ~19.3% depreciation driven off the lot ????

from MSRP, but a slight uptick from purchase price ????

Top model ZS with ฿246k incentive

MG EP Plus with ฿247k incentive, a great value @ ฿771k

These incentives, early on when approved by govt.  Now most incentives passed on to the consumer are about ฿150k.

Edited by KhunLA

33 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Parked my MG HS PHEV next to a Black Tesla Model Y Performance with stealth PPF - it looks good in my opinion.

Price comparison ฿1.4m vs ฿2.5m

0-60mph 6.9 seconds v 3.5 seconds

20230804_044853766_iOS.jpeg.08c281797e6d2dbbc6d5ad7f0c74491f.jpeg

20230804_044928767_iOS.thumb.jpeg.86145c0f7c2623be4e44949fe57beb1a.jpeg

Ours was  ฿949 vs ฿2.5M, and even slower, I think 8.5 sec.

I like the thought of getting paid every time I step on the accelerator, but arriving 5 seconds later ... ????

Especially considering how often I'm the lead vehicle from any intersection ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

So, any new EV launch has to have a couple of gimmicks up its sleeve to attract new buyers nowadays, some are impressive, others not so much.

This car, the Fisher Ocean, California design and Austria (?) manufacture is no exception. Due to be launched in Europe and the US as we speak and a future date, sometime this year, for its UK debut means a RHD version is on the cards. Will it make the journey east to Thai shores ?, could do but I would say unlikely unless a more local manufacturing base appears or it is so good demand calls for it , yeah, still going with unlikely !

Anyway, here’s a video of the good ( and the unnecessary )

For those impatient types, here’s the headlines with my opinions at no extra cost.

Great price on the base model , £36k ( up to £60k if you want the bells and whistles ).

Good to see solar panels on the roof albeit with a small energy return.

California mode impressive but likely to get forgotten after the initial showing off, much like voice actuated sun roofs here.

Doggie windows ?, yep I like this and no doubt Fido will too !

Large rotating screen !, not really new is it despite the reviewers enthusiasm .

Passenger side tray, good idea but looks a little small.

Taco tray ?? ( tacky tray more like ), only in America I say !, a tray that can sit on the steering wheel, tucked away neatly

, for working or snacking etc would be a better idea imho.

3.7 seconds 0-60 !, might appeal to some, seems like a race to beat the 3 second barrier right now.

700 km range, this one is appealing, well to me anyway.

Summary : looks good quality gear and the eco materials will get some interested, new name brand will be a no go for some but I think Americans will lap it up.

I'm feeling extremely poor, when I see these prices.

£60k = ฿2,653,366, the cost of our MG + House ????

Or...extremely intelligent ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

Parked my MG HS PHEV next to a Black Tesla Model Y Performance with stealth PPF - it looks good in my opinion.

Price comparison ฿1.4m v  ฿2.5m

0-60mph 6.9 seconds v 3.5 seconds

20230804_044853766_iOS.jpeg.08c281797e6d2dbbc6d5ad7f0c74491f.jpeg

you forgot to add the price of the license plate ( กธ 9, maybe 500'000 thb or more ... )  :laugh:

• Love It 1

SAIC's MG brand cuts MG Mulan EV price by 17% in China

SAIC Motor's MG brand yesterday announced a limited-time offer of up to 17 percent off for the compact electric crossover MG Mulan.

Between July 1 and July 31, Chinese customers who purchase the MG Mulan will receive a discount of RMB 24,000 ($3,350), bringing the starting price down to RMB 115,800 yuan.

https://cnevpost.com/2023/07/13/saic-mg-cuts-mg-mulan-price-by-17-china/

MG Mulan is the Chinese name for MG4 Electric

Prices start from B563,883 and lifetime warranty on core components worth RMB 8,999.

• Thumbs Up 1