Electric Vehicles in Thailand

10 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

You had a lucky escape.

The reason they are disassembled into parts and brought into Thailand in separate containers is to reduce the tax to parts only (something like 20%).  The difficulty comes in registering the new assembled vehicle.

Not only would you have had no warranty, you would have had a car where the import taxes had not been correctly paid, probably registered illegally with an accomplice in DLT.

Yes indeed. Luckily I didn't consider it, just walked straight out and literally across the road to the Subaru dealer.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/13/2023 at 8:56 AM, BKKBike09 said:

Upon further investigation it also looks to be the case - praise be! - that owners can now permanently disable the 'safety' features of Predictive Collision Warning, Autonomous Emergency Braking and Emergency Lane Keeping. Previously these could only be disabled temporarily (start the vehicle, disable, switch off vehicle, they're all back on again).

Now it appears that, if selected off, they stay off when the car is powered back on. Switching any of them off still gives the message that it's only valid for the current 'ignition cycle', but that just seems to be a legacy message and not actually the case.

If these really all can be permanently disabled it's a huge plus. The Autonomous Emergency Braking is particularly hazardous in Bangkok traffic; I've had it activate twice when moving slowly forward in heavy traffic and a m/c has filtered through the gap between me and the car ahead. It's a full on braking action and it's more likely to get you rear-ended than to prevent an accident.  Same with Lane Keeping; if you don't indicate (e.g. edging over the central divider to see if you can overtake safely etc), it aggressively tries to pull you back into your lane. So very happy to see the back of all these 'features'.

are all your BYD settings i.e drive mode ( sport/normal ) or regen does not need to be set up when you cycle the car too  ?

this is great if you do not have to set up again everytime you get in . I am not sure but I think (mg 4 drivers can confirm ) that settings done on the screen to change regen or drive mode needs to be set up again everytime and are not set permanently . I saw on you tube that this was one thing owners hope will change in future updates.

18 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

are all your BYD settings i.e drive mode ( sport/normal ) or regen does not need to be set up when you cycle the car too  ?

this is great if you do not have to set up again everytime you get in . I am not sure but I think (mg 4 drivers can confirm ) that settings done on the screen to change regen or drive mode needs to be set up again everytime and are not set permanently . I saw on you tube that this was one thing owners hope will change in future updates.

Yes MG4 is a PITA about this.

Worse, the self driving mode occasionally tries to kill you.

• Haha 1

I am looking at below and asked for your thoughts to pull the trigger by end of September .

BYD dolphin extended ( 859k )

MG 4 D ( 769) 

I believe the MG4d is a better choice than BYD dolphin standard due to MG4d larger battery /charge and RWD and only 70k more . However for 90k more , BYD dolphin extended peeks my interest to be considered . Appreciate MG owners and BYD owners to chime in.

My only known issue is what JBCchaingrai confirmed , the requirement to set drive mode and regen everytime you start the car . Thanks 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

I am looking at below and asked for your thoughts to pull the trigger by end of September .

MG 4 D ( 769) 

I believe the MG4d is a better choice than BYD dolphin standard due to MG4d larger battery /charge and RWD and only 70k more . However for 90k more , BYD dolphin extended peeks my interest to be considered . Appreciate MG owners and BYD owners to chime in.

My only known issue is what JBCchaingrai confirmed , the requirement to set drive mode and regen everytime you start the car . Thanks 

Based on many reviews I’ve read, by both journalists and owners, the MG4 seems to be an exceptional, much loved car. It’s also won several “car of the year” awards.

I had a test drive in the MG4. Drives beautifully. It makes my MGZS EV (which is fantastic) look and feel like a Ford Model T. Okay, a touch of hyperbole there, but you know what I mean.

With regard to the requirement to set drive mode and regen (and turn off the radio!) everytime you start the car: for me, it's a minor inconvenience. Muscle memory takes care of it.

Regen braking and one pedal mode:

Regen:

I would like to hear the thoughts from users here about regen braking, as it is common to have at least 2 options, standard and high for example ( 3 on an MG ZS EV I think ) therefore it’s being implied that different levels of regen to be used at different times ?

i.e. standard on the highway and high in the city would be my thoughts.

The fact that regen is definitely an advantage goes without saying, one YouTuber ( Aus or NZ ? ) claims his Atto 3 battery energy is created by 75% charging and 25% regen ( high or standard not known ).

Some FB group members claiming that the difference between high and standard is negligible as high creates more energy but as it slows the car down more more energy is required to pull away again. Would probably take an in-depth test from someone like Björn to give the actual figures.

How do regular regen users use their regen function ??

One Pedal:

I use one pedal on my HEV and class it as a very high level of regen, physically brings the car to a halt and works well in stop start traffic ( takes a little getting used to especially over speed bumps ).

My main concern is that the brake lights only appear to illuminate when the car is stopped, a little difficult to check but have seen the reflection a few times when a large vehicle is stopping behind me ( bus or truck), this makes me a little nervous on the highway when traffic stops abruptly for an accident or police check etc although i can use the physical brake as normal.

Any other one pedal users noticed the brake light issue ??

11 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

do you turn off / disable the lane assists , etc  everytime you start the car?

No, I don't need to do that in the MG. I think they are only activated on start up if you turn the car off with them switched on. If you have them switched off when you turn the car off, they are not activated when you start the car.

I say "I think" as I have two EVs and I get confused between them.

For the record, I hate the steering wheel pulling and beeps of lane keep assist (or whatever it's called). I only use it on long journeys if I feel there's any chance of me nodding off whilst driving. I reckon it would soon waken you up! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Regen:

I would like to hear the thoughts from users here about regen braking, as it is common to have at least 2 options, standard and high for example ( 3 on an MG ZS EV I think ) therefore it’s being implied that different levels of regen to be used at different times ?

On the MGZS EV there are three levels of regen. The strongest level does not bring you to a complete stop, so no one pedal driving.

Based on what I've read over the past 4 years on the UK ZS forum, my regen modus operandi is rather untypical. I toggle between the three settings, effectively using it like changing down in a manual transmission car. I don't even have to think about it; muscle memory. I love it; it works very well. 

2 minutes ago, macahoom said:

On the MGZS EV there are three levels of regen. The strongest level does not bring you to a complete stop, so no one pedal driving.

Based on what I've read over the past 4 years on the UK ZS forum, my regen modus operandi is rather untypical. I toggle between the three settings, effectively using it like changing down in a manual transmission car. I don't even have to think about it; muscle memory. I love it; it works very well. 

Thanks, if I remember rightly in the ZS EV the 3 modes have a dedicated button to scroll through and therefore easily available, mine are buried in the screen so once i decided on one pedal i will leave it there unless someone comes up with a reason not to use it on the highway for example, laziness on my part i guess.

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Any other one pedal users noticed the brake light issue ??

Lots of differing information on the EV forums about the brake lights illuminating whilst using regen. 

Some say the lights illuminate; some say they don’t; some they they come on above a certain level of regen.

I have also read that different countries have different legislation regarding the level/strength of deceleration the brake lights are required to activate at.

Who knows?

I’ve never bothered to check whether mine illuminate or not.

• Like 1

One pedal driving on the MG4 is in the next OTA s/w update (the UK just got it).

The car defaults to highest Regen (Level 3), I decided to try it rather than change it every time I start the car.  It’s very close to one pedal driving, you only need the brake at the last 5 kmhr or so. It’s more efficient than braking and I love it now.

I don't turn the Lane Keeping Assist off every time, it only activates at higher speeds than in town and is just 2 presses to turn off and one of those is a steering wheel button. I do it when it first kicks in, you can do it fairly easily when driving.

The radio issue doesn’t exist on the MG4.

I would recommend driving Dolphin and MG4 and seeing which you prefer, they are both fine cars.

I just insured my daughter’s MG EP+ for 2nd year at 8,800 baht with Roojai.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Thanks, if I remember rightly in the ZS EV the 3 modes have a dedicated button to scroll through and therefore easily available, mine are buried in the screen so once i decided on one pedal i will leave it there unless someone comes up with a reason not to use it on the highway for example, laziness on my part i guess.

Yes, a handy rocker switch near the gear selector.

Steering wheel regen paddles would be great. I think some EVs have that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, macahoom said:

Lots of differing information on the EV forums about the brake lights illuminating whilst using regen. 

Some say the lights illuminate; some say they don’t; some they they come on above a certain level of regen.

I have also read that different countries have different legislation regarding the level/strength of deceleration the brake lights are required to activate at.

Who knows?

MG4 does illuminate on highest regen.

1 minute ago, macahoom said:

Who knows?

As the one pedal braking is quite abrupt I have dabbed my brakes on occasions when i see some fool behind me approaching rapidly .

The other day on the start of highway 32 it was chaotic as rush hour and some lanes closed for roadworks, a kid on a motorbike was driving close behind me and not paying much attention, I had dabbed the brakes a couple of times to make him aware of the stop start traffic but eventually he hit my rear end. Thankfully no damage and he was most apologetic but i think the one pedal/brake light situation is a bad one.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The other day on the start of highway 32 it was chaotic as rush hour and some lanes closed for roadworks, a kid on a motorbike was driving close behind me and not paying much attention, I had dabbed the brakes a couple of times to make him aware of the stop start traffic but eventually he hit my rear end. 

Words fail me????

Edited by VocalNeal

1 hour ago, Alotoftravel said:

MG 4 D ( 769) 

Difficult to recommend either as it depends on your driving/car preferences, i would make a pro/con list, mine would be.

Looks - MG, a good looking car even without the roof spoiler.

Driving experience - MG , rear wheel drive and 50/50 weight distribution makes for an excellent ride.

Sunroof - ??, used very infrequently imho, some like the novelty others find it hot.

Price - MG, but going for the X model makes them pretty even.

Servicing etc - Both, now with 1 yr insurance, no charger and paid servicing I think very similar, BYD catching up with service centres now.

Tech - Dolphin, the larger rotating screen appears to have a lot more options and apparently very easy to add apps. Response seems better according to reports.

Range - Dolphin wins but not by much.

Comfort - ??, a test drive in both needed.

With high performance versions of EV’s hitting the market (BYD Seal, MG4 X-Power, Volvo EX30, ORA Grand/Lightning Cat), I hope they have got the handling and braking right.

A superfast car that doesn’t handle safely could get you into trouble. 

Volvo will have gained their experience through Polestar, MG don’t really have any experience though the standard MG4  is a good starting point, I don’t know about BYD with the Seal or GWM with the Grand/Lightning Cat. The MG Cyberster had it’s handling tuned by a F1 racing driver as did the original Honda NSX by the late Ayrton Senna, I had one for 5 years, I’ve only ever kept 3 cars that long which tells you how much I liked it.

I think a spirited test drive for anyone wanting a performance EV who intends to drive spiritedly might be wise.

I did read the Seal 3.8s handles well but the Chinese Grand Cat is very softly sprung.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

The other thing that worries me about high performance EV’s is Thai drivers.

Is it safe to let an 18 year old Thai kid or Somchai the farmer loose on a 500 hp car?

Probably. It won't  make his dick any bigger????