Activating a new UK bank debit card

My current Barclays debit card expires at the end of this month. A new one is on the way to my UK address and a friend will post it on to me here, as we've done in the past. The bank now tells me, though, that to activate the new card I need to perform a CHIP & PIN transaction. I presume that means taking cash from an ATM in the UK, or using it to pay in the old way (not contactless) in a supermarket. Both of those are a bit difficult to do when I'm 6,000 miles away here in Thailand, but presumably I need the card to be activated as the ban's website requires some of the numbers on it to access online banking services. I assume the numbers on the old card won't work any longer after the end of the month. Does anyone have any suggestions how to activate the card while here in Thailand?

I also have a replacement UK debit card which requires the same ATM chip and pin transaction to activate it. I just hope I remember to do that if/ when I get back to England. But I'm still able to make transfer payments from the account. I never use the card number to make online purchases, I have a credit card for that (which I was able to activate online from Thailand).

• Like 1

My banks issued new cards with some sort of new chip.

I've never done anything but put the card in an ATM and enter the pin. 
Is CHIP and PIN something different?  How is it used?

9 minutes ago, connda said:

Chip and pin is the same as the cards in Thailand, the old method was a magnetic strip on the back, easy to skim

17 minutes ago, connda said:

It's a new security method for credit cards and debit cards they have a chip in them.  

My old cards were replaced before they ran out. 

When I got my new cards I used the ATM to check in my debit card and then used it to get money over with Wise. 

Use my visa card in 7-11.