Thai Universities Rank High in QS World University Rankings List

snoop1130

57 minutes ago, Card said:

For sure not a public school. You cannot compare expensive international schools in Thailand with public schools in the USA. In any case, students who were taught in international schools don't go on to study in Thai universities. They go on to the US, UK etc.

Very true!  My US/Thai daughter studied at Chiang Mai International School and yes, I consider it to be superior in most aspects than going to free (tax $) school in the US.  She speaks 4 languages, each with a different script/alphabet writing, to include teaching in several of those languages while still in school.  She also has had the opportunity to play sports and learn about other nationalities.  My first daughter, American 100%, went to international schools in many different countries, then college in the US and  is a computer software guru (troubleshooting software problems for several major banks even after leaving the software repair position).  She is an assistant CEO currently making more than the double salary of women in that state.  In some ways she was naive upon going back to the US for college but adapted quickly due to the moving from international school in one country to another.  Is now in her 50's and happy and successful in life.

International schools are not cheap but well worth the cost in my opinion.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

This is what the QS rankings site said about last year's rankings:

"This year’s QS World University Rankings reveals the top 1,000 universities from around the world, covering 80 different locations. There are 47 new entrants in this year’s top 1,000 while over 5,500 universities were evaluated and considered for inclusion. For more information on this process, consult our methodology. While the Massachusetts Institute for Technology (MIT) continues its record-breaking streak at number one - the ninth year in a row it’s achieved this feat - the big story this year is the impressive gains made by Asian universities. 26 institutions from the continent now feature in the global top 100, more than ever before."

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Performing arts? Really? Never heard of this ranking body before. When I checked this out on internationally recognized sites a few years back, Chulalongkorn was the top ranked university in Thailand. It ranked 463rd worldwide. 

If there is one thing that can be counted upon from this administration, it is the continual dissemination of fake information. 

very true !!!!

27 minutes ago, blackshadow said:

WOW WOW WOW......47 out of 50 !!!!!

I would say this is like being BOTTOM of the class.....

NOTHING to brag about IS IT?????

It's all about how to spin the topic.... example - "Thailand universities were rated in the Top 5% of the lowest echelon of the rated schools".  The masses read "Top 5%" and feel superior ????

2 hours ago, DjSilver said:

I wouldn't rank any Thai universitys master program higher than any high school in Sweden.

I was quite surprised to find out that at university level tasks are still set where it is possible for one student to do the work and the rest of the class to copy from them.  I was hoping that at least at university that copying like this would not be possible and would quickly be spotted by the lecturer.

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Performing arts ? Sounds like another one of those subjects that students just sign up and attend to as they do not want a job in the real world and to say they got a degree in something rather than anything useful

I guess there are two sides to it, people should only get a degree that is specific to the career they want to have in the future (or they should at least be entering an intellectual field) and any other degree is meaningless, or that any higher education is beneficial and even if they aren't going to enter the field that their degree is in it is worthwhile and represents a certain level of achievement that should make them a better prospect than someone without a degree.

The latter also has the element of "if you can afford to pay and spend the time, you are almost guaranteed a degree and that will indicate membership of a certain social class group that poor people cannot afford to enter".

I've read about the "myth of meritocracy" and it's quite an interesting subject.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thai universities were ranked highly in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022

It follows that MIT (Boston), Harvard, Yale, Columbia and Stanford, just to name a few, must be modest universities where those who graduate go to serve the tables at Mcdonald's

2 hours ago, Presnock said:

She also has had the opportunity to play sports and learn about other nationalities. 

Not that big a deal IMHO.

In UK government school you get to mix with Pakistani, Somali, Syrian, Portuguese, Polish kids all the time. (To name but a few)

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Card said:

In any case, students who were taught in international schools don't go on to study in Thai universities. They go on to the US, UK etc.

I taught at Mahidol. The classes were almost 100 percent students who went to international schools.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Most of my local girlfriends had earned master's degrees in performing arts, judging from the splendid tantrums they all were able to throw at a whim.

My maid most likely holds one, too. After all, her pre-Songkran performance once again was magnificent in assuring me - for the fourth time since last October! -  that another one of her grandmas had kicked the bucket and that she needed a week off. She never seems to run out of grannies.

By the way, I am desperately looking for an agriculture & forestry cum-laude graduate. My mango trees require pruning. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

I taught at Mahidol. The classes were almost 100 percent students who went to international schools.

One of my daughter's friends. She finished now IB in one of the BKK International Schools.
She's Thai and will now study medicine in BKK.
You get what you pay for.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RafPinto said:

One of my daughter's friends. She finished now IB in one of the BKK International Schools.

BTW, one of the alternatives incoming MU students used to an international school was to go for a year, sometimes more, abroad in secondary/high schools. Mostly, they studied in the US, New Zealand, and Australia. I can't remember any going to the UK. 

Just now, John Drake said:

BTW, one of the alternatives incoming MU students used to an international school was to go for a year, sometimes more, abroad in secondary/high schools. Mostly, they studied in the US, New Zealand, and Australia. I can't remember any going to the UK. 

Yes.
A few of her class mates starting in August Year 9 are going for boarding school either UK or US

3 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

Study showed very high average IQ of Bangkok University Students of 115 ( high % HISO Chinese Thais perhaps ?). it’s 105 at non- Bkk Unis. It’s 90 average elsewhere because Education/ Home is not raising Genetic IQ level ( normally expected in most educated societies).

Something badly wrong with the Public Education system here, below higher (uni) level …..holding back the entire country (except Medicine).

• Like 1