Thai Universities Rank High in QS World University Rankings List

snoop1130

On 4/22/2022 at 3:36 PM, TropicalGuy said:

Never heard of this body.

Only “The Times” Uni Rankings recognized as world class. 

“ Performing Arts” is NOT a university discipline.

“ Development Studies” ? Here? A Joke……Outside Medicine, Export, Flight, I see no international standards anywhere. No proper training or workmanship, no Quality or Safety culture, no personal responsibility, no change is possible here from within, it all comes only from outside. 

"THE Rankings is often considered one of the most widely observed university rankings together with Academic Ranking of World Universities and QS World University Rankings"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Times_Higher_Education_World_University_Rankings

Of course you haven't heard of QS (who co-founded the Times rankings).

How would you ever get to?

"The QS ranking was previously known as Times Higher Education–QS World University Rankings. The publisher had collaborated with Times Higher Education (THE) magazine to publish its international league tables from 2004 to 2009 before both started to announce their own versions. QS then chose to continue using the pre-existing methodology in partnership with Elsevier, while THE adopted a new methodology to create their rankings."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QS_World_University_Rankings

You "Never heard of them/him/her/it" people really are something special.

Really "special".

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 12:06 AM, TropicalGuy said:

Never heard of this body.

Only “The Times” Uni Rankings recognized as world class. 

“ Performing Arts” is NOT a university discipline.

“ Development Studies” ? Here? A Joke……Outside Medicine, Export, Flight, I see no international standards anywhere. No proper training or workmanship, no Quality or Safety culture, no personal responsibility, no change is possible here from within, it all comes only from outside. 

https://study.unisa.edu.au/degrees/bachelor-of-arts-performing-arts

On 4/23/2022 at 8:38 AM, Surasak said:

I believe performing arts and associated subjects are referred to as 'Mickey Mouse' degrees in the UK. 

Was it Kingsley Amis (maybe in Lucky Jim?) who said that British universities were first-class and second-rate? Personally, I don't believe that is true these days, although in the 1950s it probably had a lot of resonance. 

No they don't.

I have a friend with genius level IQ.  He has a doctorate in quantum physics.  He works on these ratings.  

Years ago he called me to discuss the abysmal ranking of all Thai universities.  He wanted to know if I was interested in starting a consultancy here working with the unis here to improve their rankings.  I told him it would be a non starter due to the cronyism and corruption.

• Like 1

ha ha what a laugh most British institutions dont accept most qualifications gain in thailand even those from so called international schools as strangely enough they are aware of the rampant corruption in thailand ( pay $ or certain favours get the grades ect) . after an accident in thailand a few years ago an alleged top thai orthopaedic surgeon operated on me. when I managed to return to the uk a proper orthopaedic surgeon looked at what the so called top surgeon had done and said a first year registrar in uk would do a better job.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
On 4/23/2022 at 9:15 AM, John Drake said:

It's not that none went to the UK, it's simply that I don't remember anyone. BTW, I've held faculty positions in one German university, two American ones, and at Mahidol. This over a period stretching from 1984 to 2016. To be honest, they have all degenerated into something considerably less than what they were. The rankings are largely mush. One of the most important factors is publication. And not just publications but publications in top tier journals. And not just publications in top tier journals but publications with high impact scores--meaning many citations. Want to know why Thai universities lag in the rankings? That is the reason. Few people, here, publish. Thais opt for their own national journals, because of the English requirements for top journals. And the foreigners hired for many jobs in Thai universities simply can't publish. I know of some hard working, productive scholars who do publish. But one or two of them in a faculty will turn out more articles in a couple of years than the rest of the lecturers put together. People without regular publications in quality journals could not get/keep jobs in the US/UK/Australia. They can do so, here. 

It's really so, that's why I'm seriously thinking about my studies. Recently, I use services like  https://gradesfixer.com/free-essay-examples/themes-of-heal-the-world/ to solve problems with academic papers, professional writers really help to improve academic performance

Agree with you

• Like 1