Thai Universities Rank High in QS World University Rankings List

snoop1130

8 minutes ago, John Drake said:

BTW, one of the alternatives incoming MU students used to an international school was to go for a year, sometimes more, abroad in secondary/high schools. Mostly, they studied in the US, New Zealand, and Australia. I can't remember any going to the UK. 

Why NZ when US or AUS available? 
Why not UK ? Best Unis outside US. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

ranking 47th out of 50 in the performing arts discipline.

not to bad 3rd from the bottom, that's an improvement, they could have been 51st and not make the list 555

4 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

Why NZ when US or AUS available? 
Why not UK ? Best Unis outside US. 

It's not that none went to the UK, it's simply that I don't remember anyone. BTW, I've held faculty positions in one German university, two American ones, and at Mahidol. This over a period stretching from 1984 to 2016. To be honest, they have all degenerated into something considerably less than what they were. The rankings are largely mush. One of the most important factors is publication. And not just publications but publications in top tier journals. And not just publications in top tier journals but publications with high impact scores--meaning many citations. Want to know why Thai universities lag in the rankings? That is the reason. Few people, here, publish. Thais opt for their own national journals, because of the English requirements for top journals. And the foreigners hired for many jobs in Thai universities simply can't publish. I know of some hard working, productive scholars who do publish. But one or two of them in a faculty will turn out more articles in a couple of years than the rest of the lecturers put together. People without regular publications in quality journals could not get/keep jobs in the US/UK/Australia. They can do so, here. 

• Like 1

The problem, to me, seems to be the disconnect from these rankings with the reality we see in thailand. If the thai universities really have programs that are of such superior quality, why arent we seeing the thai outperforming other places in these fields. One has a high rank in performing arts, yet we dont really see examples of good acting in thai movies or tv shows, and I never heard anyone talk about thai performers in other disciplines being talked about out in the real, i.e., non-thailand world.

In fact, I was just talking on friday with a thai colleague about the "best in thialand" when it is compared with the rest of the world. he agreed the the chasm between them was wide.

Furthermore, top 50 worldwide programs should be attracting international students to them, while the reality is that top students in thailand become international students.

• Like 1

We originally lived in the UK ,OUR SON WENT TO A GREAT SCHOOL FROM 5 TO 12 ,then he went to senior school ,it was not good ,police on the gates to stop fights and drugs etc ,then we came to Thailand ,he went to a private school ,then Bangkok university , he now runs a company ,wonder what his job would have been in the UK with the education he would have got there ,even if he had gone to one of Blairs universitys of joined up writting ?

• Confused 1

My brief reading of the article appears to indicate the criterion is the number of courses offered rather than the success rate or the quality of the education itself.

Most schools, colleges, universities in Thailand issue passes, certificates or degrees to most of the students because to fail them reflects poorly upon the establishment and its teachers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mogandave said:

My son goes to school in Thailand and his education seems to be far superior to anything he might have gotten at most any public school in California.

You don't say if it's a private school or state school!????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Drake said:

It's not that none went to the UK, it's simply that I don't remember anyone. BTW, I've held faculty positions in one German university, two American ones, and at Mahidol. This over a period stretching from 1984 to 2016. To be honest, they have all degenerated into something considerably less than what they were. The rankings are largely mush. One of the most important factors is publication. And not just publications but publications in top tier journals. And not just publications in top tier journals but publications with high impact scores--meaning many citations. Want to know why Thai universities lag in the rankings? That is the reason. Few people, here, publish. Thais opt for their own national journals, because of the English requirements for top journals. And the foreigners hired for many jobs in Thai universities simply can't publish. I know of some hard working, productive scholars who do publish. But one or two of them in a faculty will turn out more articles in a couple of years than the rest of the lecturers put together. People without regular publications in quality journals could not get/keep jobs in the US/UK/Australia. They can do so, here. 

Rankings are a big business to attract international students. $$$

19 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

Never heard of this body.

Only “The Times” Uni Rankings recognized as world class. 

“ Performing Arts” is NOT a university discipline.

“ Development Studies” ? Here? A Joke……Outside Medicine, Export, Flight, I see no international standards anywhere. No proper training or workmanship, no Quality or Safety culture, no personal responsibility, no change is possible here from within, it all comes only from outside. 

https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings-articles/world-university-rankings/understanding-methodology-qs-world-university-rankings

• Like 1

12 hours ago, milys said:

<deleted> is 47th place something to brag about...?

There are about  130-150 (not sure of the number now) universities in UK alone.  so 47th in the world is better than 100 universities in UK. How would you describe these 100 UK universities ?

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

Never heard of this body.

Only “The Times” Uni Rankings recognized as world class. 

“ Performing Arts” is NOT a university discipline.

“ Development Studies” ? Here? A Joke……Outside Medicine, Export, Flight, I see no international standards anywhere. No proper training or workmanship, no Quality or Safety culture, no personal responsibility, no change is possible here from within, it all comes only from outside. 

Your  view appears to be very restricted. You do not see what you do not want to see.  You recognise 'The Times' and the worlds best - it that because  Oxford and Cambridge come out top with them ?

5 minutes ago, NeoDinosaw said:

Your  view appears to be very restricted. You do not see what you do not want to see.  You recognise 'The Times' and the worlds best - it that because  Oxford and Cambridge come out top with them ?

They don’t. Times typically show 15 of top 20 as US with other 5 UK. 
Chulalongkorn ( Thailands best) 345th …..

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NeoDinosaw said:

There are about  130-150 (not sure of the number now) universities in UK alone.  so 47th in the world is better than 100 universities in UK. How would you describe these 100 UK universities ?

Must be 150 universities English or German speaking way better than anything Thailand has…

Being that all Thai universities were online the past year the whole premise is a bunch of BS. Exams cant really be given online in Thailand because of the endemic cheating. So lots of easy projects to get a better score. 

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If there had been 1,000 universities on the list, Thailand would have ranked as 997th out of 1,000.

47th place out of 50 isn't really that big a boast!

there were more than 1,000 universities on the list, but only 50 wanted to be ranked for that subject.  So Mahidol would be 47th out of 1,000 is all had been ranked for performing arts

• Sad 1

Why were neither Patpong University nor Nana Plaza College mentioned in these rankings??? I've always found them of very high educational standard. Even the tuition fees they nowadays charge for a single evening class could easily get you through Harvard for a whole week. They MUST be good. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, John Drake said:

You are spot-on about the need to publish in international journals with high impact factors. Most Thai staff publish in Thai publications; they do hold papers in (Thai) International Conference proceeding higher than others, but they  hesitate to publish in journal which are rigorously reviewed because that can be a very painful experience - I know this because I have just published a paper which was bounced back and forth several times as the referees keep finding more things to quibble about..

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NeoDinosaw said:

You clearly have no experience of the majority of UK university students .......... some are virtually illiterate.

Really, can you give some examples. Most I know did well in their A levels and degrees

• Thanks 1

As with everything in Thailand it's all about money. I know in my Thai family one dropped out of high school and another didn't even go beyond primary school, both graduated from university.The drop out has a rich father and the other is shacked up with a sugar daddy, That's why the majority of hiso's send their kids overseas to get a real education.

Edited by NONG CHOK
spelling error

12 hours ago, blazes said:

No mention of Gender Studies?

With biological gender a “ social construct” ???????????? still can’t show how an XX (female) chromosome set can be “ reconstructed” as XY ( male) except by imagination …????????

there’s always “ Media Studies” ????

Edited by TropicalGuy

2 hours ago, NeoDinosaw said:

there were more than 1,000 universities on the list, but only 50 wanted to be ranked for that subject.  So Mahidol would be 47th out of 1,000 is all had been ranked for performing arts

It is amusing that the bone-heads talking smack about Mahidol are not even able to read and comprehend the article. 

Probably all teachers…

7 hours ago, dave moir said:

You don't say if it's a private school or state school!????

He went to a Catholic primary school in Kabinburi, he went to a a government school for high school in Bangkok and he’s in his first year at Mahidol government university in Salaya.

What do you do ?