Large Department Store Refuses to Give Free Bag

Banana7

16 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You did make the suggestion that purchases of goods where alot of money is spent should receive free plastic bags , its stands to reason that people who spend alot of money are richer than those who don't spend that amount of money . So people who spend a lot of money should get free plastic bags and those who dont spend alot of money would need to pay for bags  

it's not a question of "should", it's a question of customer profitability.

a store should do its best to retain customers that are big spenders. not really rocket science.

suprise surprise, in the business world, customers are not treated equally.

next ...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tgw said:

it's not a question of "should", it's a question of customer profitability.

a store should do its best to retain customers that are big spenders. not really rocket science.

suprise surprise, in the business world, customers are not treated equally.

next ...

Where should the threshold be ?

How much would you be required to spend to get free plastic bags ?

Also, people who want free plastic bags are not usually the kind of customers that shops really want 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Where should the threshold be ?

How much would you be required to spend to get free plastic bags ?

Also, people who want free plastic bags are not usually the kind of customers that shops really want 

there shouldn't be a threshold.

it's up to the store.

customers spends big, gets a bag right away, customer spends small, but comes every other day, store presents him a reusable bag after 10 visits ... it's about marketing, not about rules.

and about the last thing, you are wrong. I have seen plenty of customers going back to a specific venue to spend thousands just to get a little "free" trinket. just because it made them feel good. it's marketing.

customers tend to go back to shops where they feel welcome and taken care of.

Edited by tgw
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Odd and eccentric customer behavior easily avoided by the store by giving him the freakin' bag!
STUPID store.

Free single use bags are banned in Thailands major  stores

The store would have got prosecuted if it broke the law by giving single use shopping bags away 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Free single use bags are banned in Thailands major  stores

The store would have got prosecuted if it broke the law by giving single use shopping bags away 

I've often been offered free bags by major stores without even asking. I think that policy changed at least temporarily because of the pandemic. 

Also the manager could have paid the 4 baht out of his own pocket. Not for all customers. For this one odd bird one time to shut him up. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Not rich people per se.

Rare oddballs.

how do you write that into company policy? 

This is not Mom and Pops place. Pricing cannot be a judgment call - where would it end - an oddball gets a discount but your lovely Auntie does not, but Big Leg Ida over there, she is a complainer, so let's give her a discount?

*** Not to mention that rather than spend 4 baht!! the op had to go shopping someplace else.. I don't like shopping that much that I would want to do it over again at another store for 4 baht.. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Not rich people per se.

Rare oddballs.

Yes, every store should get a psychological profile of every customer... 

These places have lines at the cashier... they really don't like customers who want free merchandise at any price - where would their cashiers and managers draw the lines? What if he wanted free merchandise, of his choosing, every time? 

A customer like this slows the lines down and what if everyone did the same? I am sure the store is glad he will not be coming back - 

you ever been in retail? 

Edited by 1FinickyOne
  • Like 1