Large Department Store Refuses to Give Free Bag

Banana7

9 hours ago, Joe Farang said:

What was the bag made of if not plastic?

I remember when the ban on free plastic bags came into Ireland. It was mandatory to pay for them and the store couldn't give them free and absorb the cost.

Why don't you bring your own bags and cut down on pollution, instead of boasting because you got "double bagged" elsewhere

Touche' ????

In Mexico, about half the time they don't have a bag at all to offer you.

If you want want, you have to pay 50 cents for a cloth one -assuming they have one.

The only stores that just gives you a bag are fast food places.

9 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Normally I go out for the day, for a variety of activities, shop after dinner on the way home. I don't want carry around bags for 6 -10 hours. I walk and don't drive a motor vehicle. I don't go out to just shop. Any bag provided is reused. Plastic bags are used as household garbage bags.

Good for you making a stand for your right to a free bag. They lost money you lost time.. personally those 10bt are not worth the trouble. Then again some people love conflict and think their actions make inpact.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Save yourself future stress, petty confrontation and time wasted and get yourself a foldable backpack from Decathlon for 100 baht. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff.

Edited by kinyara
Addtion

Since the 'war on plastic', who actually expects free bags ?  I certainly don't, though usually do receive.  Always have a bag with me if shopping, or simply wheel purchases out to the car & bag there.

Edited by KhunLA

19 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Easy enough to dig out the poster for his pettiness, because he thinks he's entitled, put your hand in your pocket and pay the 4B.

We should be reducing our single-use plastics.

However, same thing happened to me in a very forward thinking local stationary shop, the owner was the first person to adopt a no (plastic) bag policy - I was standing there with rolls of tape, markers, etc - I stuffed my pockets as much as I could, and had to wear the rolls of tape as bracelets, to ride my big bike home.

I posted a warning on the local fb group, just to warn folk they need to carry a little bag to use the shop, it was the same response, put it under your seat, in your basket - not everyone has basket or an underseat, I was just trying to make a public service announcement.

Put a bag in your pocket? huh? yeah, I always walk about with a bag in my pocket. 

Haven't you ever come  across this mentality from Thais? the inability to solve the issue - the guy has an issue, how can he carry three 1L bottles of spirits home?, quite an expensive purchase to drop. The cashier cant give him something that costs 4B for free because they need to account for every bag and every satang, but the manager should have just defused the situation with a smile, and a solution - this could be the manager giving him a free fabric bag, or how about someone to carry the bottles to a taxi, there were probably 20 assistants all watching the drama unfold. Instead, the situation escalated, both parties dug their heels in and the guy got his money back - not only have they lost one sale over 4B, they have probably lost future purchases.

Your right that the manager should have solved it but did not. But not only did the shop lose money the OP lost time too. Personally i would not care for 4bt after spending 9000bt 4bt extra is nothing. 

I mean i might not like it that I don't get a bag, but its not only bad for the shop if i cancel the order. It also means i would have to buy my stuff elsewhere.

Maybe  some people are bored to death then sure no problem. But i would not have wasted my time like this for 4bt. Principle or not not worth it for me.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You did make the suggestion that purchases of goods where alot of money is spent should receive free plastic bags , its stands to reason that people who spend alot of money are richer than those who don't spend that amount of money . So people who spend a lot of money should get free plastic bags and those who dont spend alot of money would need to pay for bags  

last time i in makro.....I am sure they charged me 11 baht for a big plastic bag.....

I had spent over 5 k on goods !!!!

3 minutes ago, blackshadow said:

last time i in makro.....I am sure they charged me 11 baht for a big plastic bag.....

I had spent over 5 k on goods !!!!

Makro has never bagged anything, ever.  Wasn't that 11 baht bag a 'purchase' of a reusable bag ?

Edited by KhunLA

11 hours ago, Banana7 said:

What are your thoughts?

Thank you for your post and I totally agree with your actions whatever others think. Some years ago when I lived in Thailand and the plastic bag ban was introduced, I experienced a similar bag refusal at a checkout in Tesco Lotus. Fortunately I had not paid for my purchases and I was able to walk out leaving the goods stacked by the till. I went to a rival supermarket which did provide free bags. No problems here in Cambodia where most shops/supermarkets provide free plastic bags. Back home I use these bags for household rubbish and carrying purchases from MAKRO in Siem Reap. Other people use them for laundry, shopping at local market etc. 

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Easy enough to dig out the poster for his pettiness, because he thinks he's entitled, put your hand in your pocket and pay the 4B.

We should be reducing our single-use plastics.

However, same thing happened to me in a very forward thinking local stationary shop, the owner was the first person to adopt a no (plastic) bag policy - I was standing there with rolls of tape, markers, etc - I stuffed my pockets as much as I could, and had to wear the rolls of tape as bracelets, to ride my big bike home.

I posted a warning on the local fb group, just to warn folk they need to carry a little bag to use the shop, it was the same response, put it under your seat, in your basket - not everyone has basket or an underseat, I was just trying to make a public service announcement.

Put a bag in your pocket? huh? yeah, I always walk about with a bag in my pocket. 

Haven't you ever come  across this mentality from Thais? the inability to solve the issue - the guy has an issue, how can he carry three 1L bottles of spirits home?, quite an expensive purchase to drop. The cashier cant give him something that costs 4B for free because they need to account for every bag and every satang, but the manager should have just defused the situation with a smile, and a solution - this could be the manager giving him a free fabric bag, or how about someone to carry the bottles to a taxi, there were probably 20 assistants all watching the drama unfold. Instead, the situation escalated, both parties dug their heels in and the guy got his money back - not only have they lost one sale over 4B, they have probably lost future purchases.

Thais don't usually have an issue with these kinds of problems  , it usually gets resolved without one person storming off in a bad mood calling for mass staff dismissals .

Say what you want about Thais , but they do seem to have the ability to get min or issues solved without calling for a revolution and how everything must change........................because they don't have a plastic bag and dont want to pay 4 Baht to put their 9000 Baht purchase in .

I do think that Thais would get the problem solved and they would nt storm off in a bad mood

Banana7 - "Really?  You are not going to give me a free bag." 

Manager - "Sir, I can do a better deal for you because you are a good customer.  I'll make the cost of the bag 9,004 baht, but I will give you 3 free bottles of alcohol.  Are you happy?"

Banana7 - "Yes, very happy.  That is a good deal." 

????  ????  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Spending 9000 Baht on alcohol and then not wanting to pay 4 Baht for a bag 

Beat me to it. I understand the Bible calls it " Straining at a gnat, and swallowing a camel."

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I've often been offered free bags by major stores without even asking. I think that policy changed at least temporarily because of the pandemic. 

Also the manager could have paid the 4 baht out of his own pocket. Not for all customers. For this one odd bird one time to shut him up. 

Yes, its strange isn't it .. I have so many of these cloth bags, maybe we have bought them, maybe we get given them - istudio is a prime example, buy a watch, they go through the setup, put it on your wrist then put the empty cardboard box in a cloth bag to carry home. It seems that they are now becoming an issue, people jump on the eco bandwagon, but its like how much of the worlds resources are used to ship wood pulp from Eastern Europe to make eco friendly unbleached brown paper bags.

Yet, in this instance, the manager should have the foresight to give the guy a cloth bag, let him provide advertising to the store on this day and for months to come - when we go to Makro, we use instantly recognizable blue IKEA bags, without fail someone will ask where we got them.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Banana7 said:

The large department store probably lost 1,000 baht or more in profit over a bag, which probably cost them 2 or 3 baht, but they wanted me to buy for 4 baht. They also lost a customer for future booze purchases.

I think the idea is to disincentivise people from using discardable bags and instead bring their own reusable bags.

• Like 2