Large Department Store Refuses to Give Free Bag

Banana7

14 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

Perhaps the manager cares about Thai law...  Some people do.

But it is true that the manager could have handled this better, without resorting to plastic. For a 9,000 Baht sale of three bottles, he could have offered a box. All the stores have them. If he was a regular customer, he could have comped him a reusable bag, and written it off.  They all have fiber bags available for 20-30 baht. But the OP was demanding the store break the law and give him a free bag, too much a Cheap Charlie to buy a 30-Baht reusable bag.

What are you talking about? I bought a reusable cloth bag for 4B in tesco the other day, the OP didn’t mention what bag it was, he asked for a bag and they refused, entiled? Probably.

Although the post was about a bag, the guy was after a solution, not another problem. No need to break the law, why didn’t the store comp him with a fabric one? why not use a box?
You are cherry picking your quote, it was in reply to the poster who introduced the littering of the oceans into the discussion. I share everyone’s concern over this issue, I am also aware about the costs in production and transportation - regards to the actual benefits and effect of the reduction in things such as plastic bags, everyone stand up and refuse plastic bags - that’s great! That’s all good PR, but how about turning the aircon down a few degrees, your staff are wearing wooly cardigans. It’s not as simple as a plastic bag, although it’s a great start. 

The point of your post is the OP is a “cheap Charlie” at which bar did you learn that gem?

At the end of the day, I think @robblokhas the best idea, in principle it would have been in the stores interest to supply a solution - but at the end of the day, for 4B, would it be worth pursuing, just pay the 4B and make a note to go to it’s competitor next time, with the reusable bag. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Particularly those being obtuse.... Does the exact amount matter at all ????

The point of the Op is that he was spending a reasonable sum and the store failed to operated with any sensible level of discretion in favour of the customer. 

I do agree, weird people walk among us, they post among us....  particularly misunderstanding the point of a critical post or Op......  Clue: Its not about the 4 baht. 

Agree to a point, and yes, the manager was as silly as the OP.  Bad customer service vs self inconvenience of returning then need to go elsewhere, and who knows, possibly paid more for the product, besides petrol.

Playing Devil's advocate though, if store policy, then break that one, what next, and begs to ask, why even have.

Also, don't many complain about the HiSo getting special privileges.  So the customer behind Mr 8-9k baht purchase of 3 bottles, who only has one < 500 baht bottle isn't afforded the same customer service.

Where's the 'principles' there ... hmm

As stated above, I also suspect the 4 baht, was not for a 'one use' plastic bag.  I don't know any store that has offered a >1 baht plastic bag.

Edited by KhunLA

13 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It doesn't, there is no such law.  There may be a recommendation but there sure isn't a law banning free disposable bags.

If may have been 3 or 4 years ago that this issue was raised by the government, but my memory seems to be that word 'ban' was certainly used. I appreciate that it's probably like the ban on people traveling in pickup truck beds, which seems to have worked well. 

Edited by Speedhump
Speeling and grammer

Just now, Speedhump said:

Wow, First World Problems, eh. 

Yes ... filling in the void of boredom ... with that, time for morning walk w/dog at the park, cruise surfside on the eco friendly e-scooter, and return for the healthy, 1st meal of the day. 

"Save the Planet" ... OK, more like the human parasites on the planet.

How hot....damn hot, again.  Using my carbon credits for AC abuse ... ????

• Haha 1

@Banana7

Your name here in the AN says already a lot about you. Thinking only with a small brain and not further than to your tiptoe.

It's not hard to guess you are an US-boy, because there they didn't learn how to avoid plastic waste. (Not your problem ....?). In Germany, the kids in kindergarten learn already about this environment problem. Namely,  that those plastic bags  are waste which desolves only within maybe 200-300 years and is not very healthy. Burning them is very unhealthy, too.

Edited by puck2
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Speedhump said:
51 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It doesn't, there is no such law.  There may be a recommendation but there sure isn't a law banning free disposable bags.

If may have been 3 or 4 years ago that this issue was raised by the government, but my memory seems to be that word 'ban' was certainly used. I appreciate that it's probably like the ban on people traveling in pickup truck beds, which seems to have worked well. 

No, nothing like your pickup analogy, there is a law dealing with that.  There is no law that bans the use, distribution, sale or whatever of plastic bags of the type being discussed here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I absolutely agree... ‘storm in a tea-cup’....   But, a response such as this may make the store recognise that their policy is stupid and pave the way for less hassle for others.

As far as ‘rules don’t apply’....   There are solid, decent rules... then there are made up rules such as this... Some are happy blindly following rules if it's not a big deal, I do to. But at times, I do find some of the rules pathetic and ridiculous.. sometimes its enough for me to point out the stupidity and see what sticks. 

Small examples: 

Promo: Sandwich and Iced coffee...   I wanted a sandwich and regular coffee (price was 20 baht more, not a big deal, but I was triggered !)....  I asked them how they made an iced coffee.

They just made coffee, then poured it over ice. 

OK, I’ll have that... Just as they were about to pour the coffee over the ice, I said stop...  give me the  shot cup (with coffee).... There thank you... Iced coffee, without the ice !!!

Now...  in threads such as this, someone such as yourself may accuse me of believing the rules don’t apply to me...  You’d be right of course, but I’d put in the caveat, as would most people... we feel Stupid rules don’t (or shouldn’t) apply to us... why should anyone accept stupid rules ?

--------

I want to point out the movie... Falling Down, with Michael Douglas.

He wants breakfast, its 11:33am and the restaurant stopped serving breakfast at 11:30am. 

In this example we’d have some posters saying ‘just have lunch’.... missing the point, just as many posters in this thread have missed the point that its not about the 4 baht, its about the store not using any discretion and implementing their stupid rule without presenting a customer friendly alternative.

It is a minor issue, its tiny, it 4 baht, its a storm in a tea-cup, ....  But is it?...  or is it the thin end of the wedge?...  where some people think 'why should I pay extra for a bag ??????’...  I come shopping spend money on products on which the store makes a profit and now I’m expected to have to pay extra (amount irrelevant) to be able to carry my shopping home ???... 

To some, its the store turning the screw just that little bit more, to others its the store acting with a  complete lack of consideration for the customer, so why should the spend their money there. 

....   in the case of the Op it was the straw that broke the camels back... We have posters arguing ‘its only a straw’....  they don’t get the point. 

wow.

Initially the reason given for stop giving out free plastic bags was to stop waste in an attempt to stop plastic pollution. It sounded good but I suspect the actual motive was to encourage people to buy bags in order to increase still further their profits.

The proof of that is that many major stores will now sell you bags - plastic ones !!!.  There are a few places such as Villa market and sometimes Tops that will sell an environmentally friendly bag, but they are in the minority.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, puck2 said:

It's not hard to guess you are an US-boy, because there they didn't learn how to avoid plastic waste. (Not your problem ....?). In Germany, the kids in kindergarten learn already about this environment problem. 

HEY ... ease up on the Yank bashing ... ????  

I notice your nationalism has blinded you, as apparently YOUR plastic should be someone else's problem to deal with.

"Some of the countries listed among the world's top recyclers are also the biggest plastic waste exporters: Germany was named the world's top recycler by the World Economic Forum three years ago, but exports an average of 1m tonnes of plastic waste annually, more than any other nation in the EU"'

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/dec/31/waste-colonialism-countries-grapple-with-wests-unwanted-plastic#:~:text=Some of the countries listed,other nation in the EU.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, recom273 said:

not only have they lost one sale over 4B, they have probably lost future purchases.

They don't care...... christ, had I been in the queue behind this pain in the derrière, holding everybody up, I would have given him 4 baht...

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Joe Farang said:

What was the bag made of if not plastic?

I remember when the ban on free plastic bags came into Ireland. It was mandatory to pay for them and the store couldn't give them free and absorb the cost.

Why don't you bring your own bags and cut down on pollution, instead of boasting because you got "double bagged" elsewhere

In my pickup there are always 4 or 5 cloth shopping bags and If I am going on a bulk shop I take another 5 or 6. I bought them in the early days of the plastic bag ban years ago. I also used my own cloth bags in the UK, Germany, France and PNG.

• Like 1

This morning I bought a 24 pack of toilet rolls at the local supermarket and declined the bag thank you, then a small can of shaving foam at 7/11 and declined the bag and lastly I bought 5 electrical plugs ad 2 chocolate blocks from the hardware store where no bags were offered, I carried the toilet rolls to the truck, stuck the shaving foam in my pocket and carried the plugs etc by hand and dumped them on the back seat. Why take the pickup? Because the shops are 6km from the house.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Meanwhile, I love how 7/11 cashiers always scan and charge the 2 baht per bag, only for it to dissappear at the end..maybe becomes free after 100 baht purchase?

That annoys the <deleted> outta me.

Total shows on register as Bt.203.00.

Open wallet and only Bt.1000 note and two Bt.100 note... no coins.

Pull the Bt.1000 and hand over and after a few taps on the register keys the total is Bt.198.00.

It's a free market.  Customer Service is a real deal.
I don't shop at stores which have provided poor customer service.  If they are willing to lose a customer over a bag? 
Like you did - you find a better merchant.  Kudos!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1