Anutin pledges to fight e-cigarette 'menace' in Thailand, especially among young

webfact

17 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

As with any 'rule' in Thailand, it doesn't matter one iota what anyone in authority says. I have watched numerous videos of people in Thai-frequented Bangkok bars and clubs in which countless people are vaping - all of them women, although maybe that is only because that is the gender the video blogger focuses on ????

If Anutin or anyone else wants to stop people vaping then that is a good place to start with drug-style raids. But of course that won't happen, because no-one gives a rat's fart what he says - and he isn't the one who enforces the law so he can talk until the cows come home and it makes no difference to anything. 

"............he can talk until the cows come home........."

He has to stay in the limelight! And as long as there are people dumb enough to listen - he'll keep spouting his verbal diarrhoea!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, sambum said:

"............he can talk until the cows come home........."

He has to stay in the limelight! And as long as there are people dumb enough to listen - he'll keep spouting his verbal diarrhoea!

He's done his job the Thai way. He has spoken, made his recommendations, and his job is done. Anything that happens later is not his responsibility. You, I, he and everyone else knows that what is said will be ignored and is unenforceable, but that is not the point. He has acted, done what he considers to be his job, while actually doing nothing. This happens all the time, at least once a week. Someone makes a declaration and the next day it's ignored and forgotten. But that person has done their job by 'acting'.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

He's done his job the Thai way. He has spoken, made his recommendations, and his job is done. Anything that happens later is not his responsibility. You, I, he and everyone else knows that what is said will be ignored and is unenforceable, but that is not the point. He has acted, done what he considers to be his job, while actually doing nothing. This happens all the time, at least once a week. Someone makes a declaration and the next day it's ignored and forgotten. But that person has done their job by 'acting'.

I see your point, but I don't agree with "Anything that happens later is not his responsibility"?  It is his responsibility because people have acted on his advice, and as Health Minister, he will of course know what is right!

On 4/25/2022 at 12:28 PM, Bangel72 said:

I also see a risk for the 15 year olds starting on these when maybe they would never have touched a cigarette.

Totally agree with that. My UK stepson was working for a company around 7 years ago  and his job was to come up with new flavours for vaping. The nicotine industry is only interested in finding ways to get youngsters hooked. Good that vaping helped you to quit.  

17 hours ago, Moo 2 said:

He's good at stopping e-cigarettes, but is not doing to good at stopping the corvid-19 and this problem is a lot more serious than e-cigarettes.

Or regular cigarettes even!

I don't smoke anything or vape so it makes no difference to me but this does sound particularly ridiculous even by Thai government standards which are incredibly low in the first place. I've no interest in cannabis either but if he's using it I would suggest banning it straight away in case it's responsible for his stupidity. 

As far as I'm aware nicotine is a naturally occurring insecticide found in plants which is highly addictive but not harmful in the amounts normally consumed. Other ingredients in vaping products would need to be looked at on an individual basis but most are probably harmless. Tobacco is extremely dangerous so if vaping is banned maybe tobacco should be phased out pretty quickly. 

• 2 months later...