Arrived in Thailand and told to use Morchana app (by law)

cyril sneer

The Test and Go is due to be abolished but it is still a requirement for arrivals to have the Thailand Pass and therefore must assume the Morchana App is still required for arrivals ?

After arrival and after the 5 day antigen test (current)  can the App be legitimately deleted or after Test and Go is abolished.

This is a power intensive App and keeps refreshing itself - I have had to force stop it because it uses up battery quickly .

The sooner I can delete it the better.  

I arrived back in November, was not asked to download app at airport, not at hotel, not when leaving Bangkok airport for provinces, not at local airport, and never asked for it since. Only ever been asked for vax certificate.

• Like 1

install set it up then disable all permissions and turn it back on day 6, then there should be a notification,up load your negative test, once it turns green, turn the app back off again.

Edited by UKPaul67
  • Like 2

On 4/26/2022 at 3:06 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't consider it stupid to NOT buy a machine that spies on me.

Perhaps you could answer the question or just not say anything if you can't.

do you use a computer? tablet? ipad? if the answer is yes to any of these how confident are you that you're not being spied on?

On 4/26/2022 at 4:26 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. I never booked an hotel in LOS by using internet. Just went in the door of hotels till I found one I liked.

Never went to Thailand to call "friends" on a phone.

It's only difficult without a phone if one is a slave to technology. Humans survived for 50,000 years without phones.

So tell me, what’s it like living in 1922, when the rest of the world is in 2022?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fairynuff said:

So tell me, what’s it like living in 1922, when the rest of the world is in 2022?

Is that the best you can do- a damp squib?

Try 1990s, before the internet was even a thing for most. A far, far better time in Thailand than now.

We now have machines that can tell us about almost anything and the world we live in has gone bat <deleted>. Is that a co incidence?

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, it is what it is said:

do you use a computer? tablet? ipad? if the answer is yes to any of these how confident are you that you're not being spied on?

Of course I'm using a computer to send this message and yes, it is spying on everything I write on it. The difference is that it only knows where the computer is, and isn't tracking my every movement and every thing I buy ( for the benefit of advertisers ).

I also never use it for anything important like banking.

BTW I'd rather cut them off with a rusty razor blade that use anything from Apple.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, rickudon said:

I arrived back in November, was not asked to download app at airport, not at hotel, not when leaving Bangkok airport for provinces, not at local airport, and never asked for it since. Only ever been asked for vax certificate.

In Thailand different places make up different rules, even government departments like Immigration make up different rules in different districts.

What happens for one farang is different from another even if doing the same thing, depending on where they are doing it.

10 hours ago, scorecard said:

Regardless of the Thai. Pass and items close to it, in this day and age surely it's common sense/practical/highly usefull to have/carry a smartphone.

I've never found it to be so.

I've deleted the rest of my reply because it's off topic.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Is that the best you can do- a damp squid?

Try 1990s, before the internet was even a thing for most. A far, far better time in Thailand than now.

We now have machines that can tell us about almost anything and the world we live in has gone bat <deleted>. Is that a co incidence?

Damp squib ? That’s weird. But no, I don’t want to live in 1990 either. I’m quite content living in the present.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Damp squib ? That’s weird. But no, I don’t want to live in 1990 either. I’m quite content living in the present.

Damp squib ? That’s weird.

Alas I see that I said "squid" in the post, so yes that would be weird. I've corrected it now.

2 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Are you ok? You don’t seem it

Can anyone be OK in a world gone mad- covid, war, inflation, barking government, etc etc?

However this isn't the thread to be getting into all that.

All I can say is that I'd rather be in LOS, and if I had to buy a <deleted> phone to be able to do I'd buy one today.

I envy anyone that is there, and being there would make all the stupid stuff like constantly changing regulations a minor irritation. I sometimes wonder if those living in LOS actually realise just how great a place it is.

I tried to Register on Morchana and, not having my Thailand Pass hard copy to hand, started to register manually. The app asks for Nationality as recorded in passport. I am British but that nationality does not appear in the drop-down list so I quit!

On 4/26/2022 at 9:26 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. I never booked an hotel in LOS by using internet. Just went in the door of hotels till I found one I liked.

Never went to Thailand to call "friends" on a phone.

It's only difficult without a phone if one is a slave to technology. Humans survived for 50,000 years without phones.

And without electricity, cars, planes, and quite significantly, birth control !

• Confused 1

On 4/26/2022 at 8:52 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Is it now a requirement to have one of those phones that can have all the spyware installed on it and track us constantly ( I don't have one of those and never will if I can avoid it )? What happens if I turn up in Thailand without a phone at all? Will they even let me in?

Could I use a tablet instead of a phone?

What if I turn off my phone after loading the app, and remove the battery?

During the pandemic I have been to UK and back, flown a couple of times and on several other occasions been challenged over using the phone. Quite often some over zealous official has tried to set the phone up without listening to what is being said. They give up and hand you a piece of paper to fill in when they realise it is a voice only sim.

In the quarantine hotel the nurse put me on Whatsapp to communicate.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I am British but that nationality does not appear in the drop-down list so I quit!

With geography and English skills lacking in Thailand, you might want to look for an 'English' nationality. But that's just a guess, as I've never used Morchana...

Edited by StayinThailand2much

9 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

With geography and English skills lacking in Thailand, you might want to look for an 'English' nationality. But that's just a guess, as I've never used Morchana...

Look for United Kingdom

21 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Look for United Kingdom

I did, but that is not a nationality. To satisfy the Morchana demand that 'Nationality' is that entered on the Registrees passport 'British' should be in the drop-down list.Their rules, not mine.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I did, but that is not a nationality. To satisfy the Morchana demand that 'Nationality' is that entered on the Registrees passport 'British' should be in the drop-down list.Their rules, not mine.

Agreed. But it must be there SOMEWHERE as I, and many others, registered last year.

But as you say, their app, their rules.   TIT

Edited by KannikaP
  • Haha 1

Been getting notifications the past 2 mornings about taking an ATK test (written in Thai)

Am I meant to take an ATK test that includes a QR code then upload it using the same link used for the Thai Pass?

Wonder what happens if you don't do the test...

1 hour ago, cyril sneer said:

Been getting notifications the past 2 mornings about taking an ATK test (written in Thai)

Am I meant to take an ATK test that includes a QR code then upload it using the same link used for the Thai Pass?

Wonder what happens if you don't do the test...

You should have been given an ATK by your test&go hotel. They were required to provide it as part of the booking. But the ones I've had sometimes had a QR code and sometimes didn't, so you could use any ATK

Nothing happens if you don't do it, except your status will stay orange and not turn green, which also doesn't seem to matter.