Arrived in Thailand and told to use Morchana app (by law)

cyril sneer

29 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

can it be turned off

Yes, on your own risk 

29 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

will I get a swat team arriving at my apartment?

Sure, once they are done with the other 235,654 foreigners who turned it off

Anyway, AFAIK you need only thaichana, not mochana also

The above applies to thaichana, too

Is it now a requirement to have one of those phones that can have all the spyware installed on it and track us constantly ( I don't have one of those and never will if I can avoid it )? What happens if I turn up in Thailand without a phone at all? Will they even let me in?

Could I use a tablet instead of a phone?

What if I turn off my phone after loading the app, and remove the battery?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. I never booked an hotel in LOS by using internet. Just went in the door of hotels till I found one I liked.

Never went to Thailand to call "friends" on a phone.

It's only difficult without a phone if one is a slave to technology. Humans survived for 50,000 years without phones.

Whatever floats your boat.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I’ve read lots about what has to be done when entering Thailand.

without wishing to digress too far from the original topic, does anyone know if there is a requirement to have a PCR test within 72 hours of LEAVING Thailand, if the destination country doesn’t require it? 

in other words, have the Thai’s taken it into their heads to impose a blanket requirement for a PCR test before being able to board an aircraft out of the country?

I’ve heard conflicting stories.

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

without wishing to digress too far from the original topic, does anyone know if there is a requirement to have a PCR test within 72 hours of LEAVING Thailand, if the destination country doesn’t require it? 

No. I've flown out to the UK several times and there was no PCR requirement because the UK didn't require it. 

People often claim that airlines impose their own testing requirements (beyond what destination/transit country require), but as of yet, no-one has been able to provide a single example.

• Thanks 2

Morchana app does not work. Just been to Thailand and now back in the UK. Didn’t update when I did my 5 day test and hotel told me app was useless. Turned off all notifications and tracking and not once asked to see it whilst in Thailand. I’ve now deleted it and don’t intend to reinstall when I return later this year. Don’t know what all the fuss is about. Thailand will do what ever it wants to do and make everyone even more confused lol. Just go with the flow and enjoy your stay. 

• Thanks 1

I've never used any of these 'barcode' things. Does one need a special phone? I have two phones....an iPhone and a Samsung....I don't allow them to track my location, but I've read that they do anyway, as the phone 'logs on' to every tower that it comes near. 

I'm planning a trip to Europe later this year and don't really want to be bothered with all these apps....what if I tell the immigration that I don't have a phone....or that I show them my old Nokia?

• Like 2

You can always buy a new phone and SIM card, install the application on your new phone and then leave it home or at your hotel when you go out.  

By the way, whether the information is used or not, most of us with cell phones are being tracked by the phone companies. There have been stores in the news that mentioned that the sought person was located by looking where his cellphone had been.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paul545 said:

Morchana app does not work. Just been to Thailand and now back in the UK. Didn’t update when I did my 5 day test and hotel told me app was useless. Turned off all notifications and tracking and not once asked to see it whilst in Thailand. I’ve now deleted it and don’t intend to reinstall when I return later this year. Don’t know what all the fuss is about. Thailand will do what ever it wants to do and make everyone even more confused lol. Just go with the flow and enjoy your stay. 

It does work..

Install.

Scan your TP QR code. 

Activates.

40 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

It does work..

Install.

Scan your TP QR code. 

Activates.

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it can't connect to the Thai Pass. Sometimes it connects, but the  upload notification never comes through. Sometimes the notification comes through, but the upload doesn't work, and they just keep resending the notification with a broken link.  Sometimes it just works fine. 

Roll a dice and see what version you are going to get this time.

Presumably it will be irrelevant after next month anyway since there will be no mandatory 5 day test.

21 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't consider it stupid to NOT buy a machine that spies on me.

Perhaps you could answer the question or just not say anything if you can't.

Regardless of the Thai. Pass and items close to it, in this day and age surely it's common sense/practical/highly usefull to have/carry a smartphone.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

First time I arrived under T&G in November the hotel told me to install MorChana app so I did. Never activated it.

Second time in January hotel activated it for me. App then nagged me to upload day 5 test result which I did. That gave me the green "safe" QR code. 

Third time arriving in March, hotel asked to me download and install Morchana App. I showed him green QR code from last visit and told him "safe already". End of story. 

I disabled app permissions for location and bluetooth. Nobody anywhere ever asked to see the QR code on the app. Waste of time IMO.

Send me that safe QR green code. I will use that as my phone background...haha

No one told me to download this app. on arrival nor at quarantine hotel on arrival there nor after Day 5 test back in early February. So I didn't even know about it. Had to give my destination address  ( my home here) for Thai Pass and of course the arrival and departure card where I've been ever since. Haven't been contacted.