Child Protective Services in THailand?

Guest Miguel Delrio

Guest Miguel Delrio

I have become aware of a situation in which a child of 8 or 9 is being used as what i can only describe as a "pet." Very old farang couple always wanted a son. . .found this Thai boy and for the past year have lavished him with gifts, golf lessons, clothes and the like. He has to spend the day with them, which I understand he does not enjoy as there is not even a mutual language. He apparently has no right of refusal. Example: he got covid and was sick yet they insisted that he go with them to play golf. When they are done with him, he is returned to a very poor family living situation. The poor family is happy because they also enjoy the benefits of the farang's generosity. . . . they get money and gifts of food etc.  It is a complicated situation but I really worry for the kid. The adults on both sides are using him for their own emotional and practical needs.  In many countries there is a government child protective services department that has the power to step in. What about here? And what would you all suggest be done?

LOL!

I can imagine what CPS would say if you went to them.

”OMG…there is this horrible couple who buy this poor kid clothes, gifts, take him golfing and then at the end of the day, send him back to his poor parents whom they also buy gifts for and give money to”

What would be really horrible would be if someday in the future, this disgusting couple took it upon themselves to pay for a university education for him.

Disgusting and dangerous people for sure.

Edited by Airalee
  • Like 2

Actually in most Western countries, government would not/could nto step in based on what you describe since there is no indication of physical or sexual abuse or severe neglect. The family making the child go places/spend time with people when he does not want to, would nto qualify as abuse.

in Thailand, there are  Departments of Children and Youth in each province which would be where any concerns should be addressed (or to the police) but they are nowhere near as active or inclines to intervene as Child Servcies in western countries are, it usually needs a very severe and clear cut situation of physical abuse or severe neglect for them to act.

From what is described, I agree with those who say you should stay out of it. The boy's family obviously think the relationship is beneficial and you are nto going to get anywhere arguing otherwise. In fact, it is possible  that benefits the boy and his family get through the association genuinely outweigh the down sides.

• Like 1

Like most have commented, if there is no sign of anything illegal then I would stay away from the situation. At the end of the day no matter what good your intentions are, you are not the parent of the boy in question. As someone else suggested, if you have a friend who is Thai, tell them the situation and see what they think. They will know if it warrants further action but from what you have told us, I would think they would not want to get involved.