Russia-Ukraine war continues to impact Thai economy, Ministry of Finance says

webfact

27 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

To that end what are you doing to help Ukraine ???..... & what would you suggest we all do.

I have cancelled my monthly order of Stolichnaya----yes, its true--no sacrifice is to great..........:violin:

https://donate.savethechildren.org/en/donate/emergency-in-ukraine?gclid=Cj0KCQjw06OTBhC_ARIsAAU1yOWUR2dexRW0o8XbU1mJ8x_xSd202VFaXqdz1TpXk5yTtp2dArx-348aAjVZEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

18 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I like to think a lot is going on behind the scenes to help the Ukraine, the suffering of the people, particularly the aged in places like Mariupol is gut wrenching. Meanwhile Putin threatens the rest of the world with his 'my missile is bigger than yours' tactics, and nuclear threats that appear to have the rest of the world in fear. Germany finances Russia's genocide and murder with gas payments and Eastern Europe looks on in fear.....

One must ask the question, why is Putin still in power? A lot of Russians don't want this war but many more do. Is this because they are brainwashed? Or do they just hate the Ukraine people because they have so much Freedom?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

It's nothing compared to sleepy Joes trillion spending ! Be interesting to see where the $ goes later in the year when Easter Bunny led Joe loses control of the houses and becomes a lame duck president

I am unsure of why the USD is strengthening, the usual flight to safety in troubled times, or a rate hike coming. But my point really was it is Sterling weakness at fault. I am surprised Thailand has not moved to strengthen the baht (v USD) as they usually keep it in the 33.5 area.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

One must ask the question, why is Putin still in power? A lot of Russians don't want this war but many more do. Is this because they are brainwashed? Or do they just hate the Ukraine people because they have so much Freedom?

I feel it is a combination of xenophobia, nationalism and being brainwashed. One often hears about 'fooling all of the people,' being unlikely, but from a Western perspective, many countries seem to do it, North Korea, Russia, China etc etc. 

Edited by jacko45k

1 hour ago, vandeventer said:

You might as well ask , why is Prayut still in power ?

The guys with the tanks have a decent edge !

34 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I have heard Toyota is involved in a major lawsuit with the government over promised tariff reductions. This kind of nonsense could lead to many Japanese companies looking for more dependable governments, who are willing to follow up on promises. Many Japanese companies are exiting, and many are looking for alternatives. How does the future look for Thailand? I believe they could revert to #89 in the world, if things do not change and progress. 

Can you imagine the fall-out and loss of employment if Japan opted to move it's auto business to Cambodia, Vietnam or other nation.

Inclusive of the OEM supply chain.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I like to think a lot is going on behind the scenes to help the Ukraine, the suffering of the people, particularly the aged in places like Mariupol is gut wrenching. Meanwhile Putin threatens the rest of the world with his 'my missile is bigger than yours' tactics, and nuclear threats that appear to have the rest of the world in fear. Germany finances Russia's genocide and murder with gas payments and Eastern Europe looks on in fear.....

If you have no idea what you are talking about why not just keep your thoughts for yourself!!!55% of power supply in Germany comes from Russia.If you cut that the lights go dark in Germany and economy will dive further,if the German economy is diving the rest of EU will drown.You are probably not from an EU country so of course you give a f... about the EU.,but believe me if the EU is drowning then others get problems too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Can you imagine the fall-out and loss of employment if Japan opted to move it's auto business to Cambodia, Vietnam or other nation.

Inclusive of the OEM supply chain.

They likely will, to some extent. It is already happening, to a minor degree. It is just a matter of time. Why? Because those nations are moving forward, not backward. 

https://www.policyforum.net/off-cliff-collapse-japanese-investment-thailand/

Panasonic will reorganize its white goods production sites in Southeast Asia, and transfer the production of washing machines and refrigerators in Thailand to Vietnam,” the company said in an statement emailed to Reuters.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-panasonic-thailand/japans-panasonic-to-cut-800-jobs-in-thailand-move-some-production-to-vietnam-next-year-idUSKBN22X0R5

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, vandeventer said:

Putin's war on Ukraine may be going on for some time. Any problem's we might have are so small compared to the problems Ukraine people are having. We have to suck it up and help the Ukraine's any way we can.

And why is that?The NATO,USA and Ukraine got enough warnings from Russia,Ukraine also got a lot of money from Russia not to join the NATO and stay neutral,besides that NATO promissed not to expand further eastward.All Zelinsky had to do is staying neutral,this of course is not in the interest of the USA and NATO,thanks to that we all have to worry about 3. worldwar.I'm not a Putin fan boy but you don't play games like that with maniac like Putin.Instead of sending more weapons USA should try to negiotiate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The FPO said the invasion is leading to inflation in Thailand, caused by higher global energy prices. The war is also leading to a slowdown in economies of major trading partner countries, especially in Europe and the United States.

The FPO are right in this instance.

The Inflationary rises are not just down to the rise in Global Oil and Gas prices. In fact it is just a small part of the equation.

Prices of many Commodities that are sourced in either Ukraine or Russia have spiraled.

Wheat has risen by over 60 %, Nickel by similar amounts along with massive rises in of all things ... Sunflower Oil

Ukraine is the Worlds biggest supplier of Sunflower Oil which is used around the World for Cooking, it supplies a whopping 70 % of the stuff.

As there are no shipments of Sunflower Oil from Ukraine now, the buyers have looked elsewhere for alternative Oils, which has driven up the price of all Oil used for Cooking, and Indonesia, who are the largest supplier of Palm Oil in the World has stopped all Exports.

All Food prices around the Globe are rising to all time record highs, and this in turn affects then amount of spare Money any Household has for such Luxuries as a Holiday, and this will hit Thailands Tourism Sector really hard.

Also the prices on Fertilisers is rising due to the effect of the War on such things as Potash and Nitrates, this will feed through to higher priced Home grown produce, and other Commodities such as Palladium and Platinum are used in the Catalytic Converters on Vehicles, which is going to affect the Auto Industry.

Thailand is nowhere near feeling the effect of the Russia Invasion on Ukraine to the full yet, and there is a World of hurt coming to those who can least help themselves ... the poor.

Edited by Cake Monster
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

They will continue to blame everything and anyone but themselves. Nothing to do with the sabotage of tourism. Nothing to do with a drop in foreign investments. Nothing to do with a shrinking economy, or exploding unemployment. 

Change is needed, and the regressive movement of the nation needs to be stopped. 

yep blame the war

not the entry restrictions into the country that has kept tourism away not the closing of bars and clubs 

not the teflon Baht 

its the war Madam its the War 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harveyboy said:

yep blame the war

not the entry restrictions into the country that has kept tourism away not the closing of bars and clubs 

not the teflon Baht 

its the war Madam its the War 

Adults tend to own their mistakes and their failures. Children who look alot like adults, live lives full of denial, and refuse to take responsibility for their actions. 

• Like 1