Hsbc re-activate account possible? Almost opened a Natwest Bank account fell at the last hurdle

2 hours ago, kwak250 said:

The problem is that the banks want you to come to the branch with your passport/id its not such a problem having an address as i still have post going to a UK address and my driving license has my uk address on it.

It is possible to open an account without visiting a branch - or at least it was 2 years ago, with Lloyds. Everything done via the website. Now with a change of address, things vary. I did this recently - with one bank it was done in the mobile app, another bank required me to visit the branch to do it.

11 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

It is possible to open an account without visiting a branch - or at least it was 2 years ago, with Lloyds. Everything done via the website. Now with a change of address, things vary. I did this recently - with one bank it was done in the mobile app, another bank required me to visit the branch to do it.

Thanks i am going to try lloyds now i hope this works out as really don't want to return to the uk unless i have to.

2 hours ago, kwak250 said:

Thanks i am going to try lloyds now i hope this works out as really don't want to return to the uk unless i have to.

Are you using a VPN ? 

28 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Are you using a VPN ? 

Not always but will do with when i try Lloyds bank problem is  i have heard though if you are not on the electoral roll then that is when they ask you to come into the bank

but here goes nothing...

6 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

Not always but will do with when i try Lloyds bank problem is  i have heard though if you are not on the electoral roll then that is when they ask you to come into the bank

but here goes nothing...

Yes, they will probably do a soft-check on your credit report. If you aren't on the electoral roll you're right, you will probably fail.

On 5/1/2022 at 1:17 PM, BudRight said:

Sorry if this is off topic but I have never heard a single positive thing about HSBC. They seem completely useless. Why does anyone bank with them?

What bad experiences have you, personally, had with HSBC that makes you say that they are completely useless?    None?

On 5/2/2022 at 2:51 PM, Tuvoc said:

The company below has an address which is not obviously a business address. They claim that it can be used for DVLA, Banks etc and I spoke to them about that and assured me that their clients have had no problems with that. I will be switching to them, but in your case though the horse has bolted already.

Mail Forwarding | Mail Scanning | Mail Redirection | Mail Address (myukpost.com)

Unfortunately, in addition to passport/DL for identity verification, that company requires a current utility bill, not ideal for non-UK residents.

6 hours ago, kwak250 said:

Just an update lloyds bank will do checks and told to take my passport in to the nearest branch to check.

Looks like a trip to the uk in the future.

I expect the checks will be to see if you are resident in UK, if those checks can not find you then the bank will also want a recent utility/council tax bill. as proof of resident status

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What bad experiences have you, personally, had with HSBC that makes you say that they are completely useless?    None?

Mostly I have just heard 100% negative comments about them (and never a single positive comment). That's what I mean by "seem."

I had a credit card with them briefly. Their website was primitive, but the card worked okay. I used it a few times, paid it off, and cut it up.  A few years later they sent me a letter saying they'd canceled it. That was that.

11 hours ago, BudRight said:
18 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Mostly I have just heard 100% negative comments about them (and never a single positive comment). That's what I mean by "seem."

I had a credit card with them briefly. Their website was primitive, but the card worked okay. I used it a few times, paid it off, and cut it up.  A few years later they sent me a letter saying they'd canceled it. That was that.

I've been using HSBC Bank UK for 30+ years without any serious issue. I changed my address 11-12 years ago to my Thai address, after they confirmed that my bank account & credit / debit cards would operate in the same way as if I had a UK address.  New credit / debit cards are sent to my Thai address as required. Never had any problems whatsoever with HSBC during all my time with them. 

• Like 1