Hsbc re-activate account possible? Almost opened a Natwest Bank account fell at the last hurdle

Hi so i tried to open a Natwest account in the UK and having been in Thailand many years like most of you i tried online

All checks went well and my uk driving licence with my uk address all went through

After a few days they said can you pop in to the nearest branch and bring your passport

Ah sh7t no chance of popping in so thats <deleted>

So i have a hsbc account that i had in the UK and used her for years but not used for about 4 years

Tried to ask Hsbc but they said i need to also come into a branch to re-activate it.

I have now got a Wise account but would like a UK credit card again.

Is the only way to go back to the Uk for a few months to get a new bank account?

Thanks for reading this

Thanks very much i did phone hsbc in the U.k last night and they said to go to Bangkok hsbc who will be able to check my id and then will communicate with the uk branch to help re-activate my account.

Still do not have much faith in hsbc bangkok to even want to do this .

Next time i am in bangkok i will give it a go

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

Thanks very much i did phone hsbc in the U.k last night and they said to go to Bangkok hsbc who will be able to check my id and then will communicate with the uk branch to help re-activate my account.

Bad news I'm afraid. HSBC in Bangkok is a commercial bank only. It doesn't deal with retail customers.

I also had some problems with HSBC who knew very well where I live but it didn't stop them from telling me to visit my local branch.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, kwak250 said:

hsbc in bkk is opposite Lumpini park.....near sala daeng bts station

• Like 1

Thanks very much i did phone hsbc in the U.k last night

What was the waiting time on hold before you could speak to an operator? TIA - I have something I need to talk to them about but was hearing of people giving up after an hour on hold.

12 hours ago, Gaccha said:

It took almost 2 years for me to succeed but it is possible. HSBC are notorious for wanting accounts to be shut on non-residents. Just google this if you need proof.

Some years ago I got an email from HSBC saying to call into the branch. I replied and said it wasn't possible till i returned to the UK, I go back every year and at that time about 4 months away. They said ok and to schedule an appointment about a week beforehand.

Turned out they had picked up on the fact i was using a postbox mailing address. The manager explained it was company policy not to service accounts of non residents but it was at the discretion of the managers. He said he could see I made regular payments to the account and was happy to keep it on but concerned about the address. I explained my situation and he accepted the postbox as the best arrangement, just had to give him my Thai address and phone number. Never been a problem since.

Can't fault the service, I had 2 chargebacks during the pandemic. One was straight forword but the one against Agoda over the quarantine hotel quite contentious, but was resolved in my favour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muhendis said:

Bad news I'm afraid. HSBC in Bangkok is a commercial bank only. It doesn't deal with retail customers.

It is some years now since HSBC closed the retail business so one would think the UK helpline would be aware of the that.

It wouldn't be unreasonable for the commercial office to carry out an ID check, but the OP would be well advised to phone first.

That won't work. They also told me to do that. I went to HSBC Bangkok and they refused to do the ID check, even with the HSBC UK talking to them on the phone. You'll need to suggest Singapore or Hong Kong if they insist on your appearance at a branch... but make sure this is the real issue. It probably isn't. 

Yes, they are quite strict now with account creation and reactivation processes because of a rising incidence of fraudsters and identity thieves using stolen credentials to create accounts which they then use for scams. Banks will now want you to come to the nearest branch so they can sight the original passport or driving licence and also confirm that the person showing it matches the person named and pictured on it. 

One solution is to go to Singapore (preferred than HK) and request for an identity reference. This will be channeled by HSBC to the UK internally or via the SWIFT messaging system.

Edited by mvdf

2 hours ago, kwak250 said:

I thought HSBC had pulled put of Thailand? 

14 hours ago, kwak250 said:

I have now got a Wise account but would like a UK credit card again.

Is the only way to go back to the Uk for a few months to get a new bank account?

I had this situation as well but gave up trying to get a UK card as I don't live there any more. It seems the best place to get a credit card is from your current country of residence? So I ended up getting a Thai credit card.

6 hours ago, kwak250 said:

I’ve heard lots about hsbc lately. Wanting to close my friends account, also, that they were up for sale. Not sure what’s happening. 

8 minutes ago, geisha said:

I’ve heard lots about hsbc lately. Wanting to close my friends account, also, that they were up for sale. Not sure what’s happening. 

That made me sit up a bit.

I did a short search and fount that HSBC have sold their retail business in France and are currently selling it off in Greece too.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/hsbc-sells-greek-bank-branch-business-2022-03-14/

If they are opening up more in Asia perhaps things will get better?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Muhendis said:

That made me sit up a bit.

I did a short search and fount that HSBC have sold their retail business in France and are currently selling it off in Greece too.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/hsbc-sells-greek-bank-branch-business-2022-03-14/

If they are opening up more in Asia perhaps things will get better?

It’s also a question of how much “ license “:every bank has to pay to set up in a foreign country. I think that’s why they’re selling EU banks .  Especially since Brexit ! So maybe they will go more overseas.

16 hours ago, sandyf said:

Turned out they had picked up on the fact i was using a postbox mailing address. The manager explained it was company policy not to service accounts of non residents but it was at the discretion of the managers. He said he could see I made regular payments to the account and was happy to keep it on but concerned about the address. I explained my situation and he accepted the postbox as the best arrangement, just had to give him my Thai address and phone number. Never been a problem since.

How did they pick up on the fact you were using a postbox mailing address?

• Confused 1

On 4/30/2022 at 3:11 AM, mokwit said:

What was the waiting time on hold before you could speak to an operator? TIA - I have something I need to talk to them about but was hearing of people giving up after an hour on hold.

I phoned them twice and no more than a about 2 minutes at the very most . 

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2022 at 3:20 AM, sandyf said:

It is some years now since HSBC closed the retail business so one would think the UK helpline would be aware of the that.

It wouldn't be unreasonable for the commercial office to carry out an ID check, but the OP would be well advised to phone first.

It was a nice chap from India that i spoke to he did say

'don't worry everything will be alright'

and at that point i knew i had no chance

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/30/2022 at 10:04 AM, Kildonan said:

I thought HSBC had pulled put of Thailand? 

They sold Thai retail arm of HSBC to Ayuthaya. HSBC commercial still open but does not service retail accounts/customers.

3 hours ago, BudRight said:

Sorry if this is off topic but I have never heard a single positive thing about HSBC. They seem completely useless. Why does anyone bank with them?

I banked with them since they were Midland in the '80's. They were OK, Now, these last few years I feel that are a terrible bank run by incompetent senior people with system programmed by people with limited ability to think things through.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

I banked with them since they were Midland in the '80's. They were OK, Now, these last few years I feel that are a terrible bank run by incompetent senior people with system programmed by people with limited ability to think things through.

There have been many changes over the past fifty years or so. The biggest change came when we workers stopped being paid cash. Our money was paid straight into a bank account which meant banks no longer felt the need to attract customers by offering decent interest rates. Retail banking customers became less and less important and the banks made sure it stayed that way by making the customer pay for every little item. 

• Sad 2

17 hours ago, Chris.B said:

How did they pick up on the fact you were using a postbox mailing address?

Because you have to provide an address for mail!!!

If your address has a mail box then they will know it has a mail box and not a street number!!

????

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, DezLez said:

Because you have to provide an address for mail!!!

If your address has a mail box then they will know it has a mail box and not a street number!!

????

Bit narrow minded. In my case the address itself had no indication of being a postbox, I pay extra for that as the mail has to be sorted manually.

When I said it was picked up as being a postbox that was not quite the case. It was picked up as being a business address as opposed to residential, I told them it was a postal mailing service.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sandyf said:

When I said it was picked up as being a postbox that was not quite the case. It was picked up as being a business address as opposed to residential, I told them it was a postal mailing service.

So this was someone like UK Postbox ?

OK, yes I use them but not for my bank accounts. It is obviously a business address and I'm surprised you got away with it at all initially.

The company below has an address which is not obviously a business address. They claim that it can be used for DVLA, Banks etc and I spoke to them about that and assured me that their clients have had no problems with that. I will be switching to them, but in your case though the horse has bolted already.

Mail Forwarding | Mail Scanning | Mail Redirection | Mail Address (myukpost.com)

Edited by Tuvoc

3 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

OK, yes I use them but not for my bank accounts. It is obviously a business address and I'm surprised you got away with it at all initially.

The company below has an address which is not obviously a business address. They claim that it can be used for DVLA, Banks etc and I spoke to them about that and assured me that their clients have had no problems with that. I will be switching to them, but in your case though the horse has bolted already.

Mail Forwarding | Mail Scanning | Mail Redirection | Mail Address (myukpost.com)

The problem is that the banks want you to come to the branch with your passport/id its not such a problem having an address as i still have post going to a UK address and my driving license has my uk address on it.

Planning on a trip to the UK but might be an idea to put a few things in my name first as they usually want a few months of paperwork . See if i can open a few bank accounts but without work it will not be easy