The STV you will need to book (and pay for) The full 60/90 days before visa can be issued

I got this response from [email protected] regarding a question, albeit about a different issue. They sent me a template response  - I was given the following requirements in order to get a STV:

"For the STV visa, please choose  “Purpose of Visit - Tourism - Duration of Stay No Longer than 90 Days - STV” (90 days extendable in Thailand). Please note that you will need to stay at a private accommodation for the whole period of your stay (paid for). We will need to see booking confirmation in order to issue you an STV."

Is this really true that before travelling to Thailand you must actually book and pay for accommodation for up to 59/89 nights with no flexibility to change location plans or select hotels when you reach a new location? - Or is this just a bad explanation of a different reality?

3 minutes ago, Caldera said:

It's insane, but at this point, why would they change it now? They've had few takers and they don't seem to care enough.

Wow - So it is true.

Jeeez - How insane is that - To what purpose does this solve any known problem?

4 minutes ago, spambot said:

Wow - So it is true.

Jeeez - How insane is that - To what purpose does this solve any known problem?

In my opinion, it only solves imaginary problems (destitute foreigners sleeping rough in the street?), but there you go, it is what it is.

• Thanks 1

OK - If its true then - Assuming that Multi Entry (or even possibly the Non O Immi) does not have the same requirement (or do they?) - it makes more sense paying some extra and getting the flexibility to have your preferences of accommodation as you travel.

7 hours ago, Hummin said:

Legal Thai embassy in UK?

Sounds bullocks, never gave them any proof of stay, only address for first night hotel or condominium.

The Information was provided by

[email protected] -

Warmest regards,
The Visa Team

This was 1 hr ago. 

Mnnnnn - From your experience this sounds like this is relatively new requirement or your application was not recent.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spambot said:

[email protected] -

Warmest regards,
The Visa Team

This was 1 hr ago. 

Mnnnnn - From your experience this sounds like this is relatively new requirement or your application was not recent.

No this has been the requirement since they first introduced this visa type 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, spambot said:

[email protected] -

Warmest regards,
The Visa Team

This was 1 hr ago. 

Official Thai Embassy Oslo

Requirements STV

https://oslo.thaiembassy.org/en/page/special-tourist-visa-stv?menu=60b506d5dd82503ba521ba42

Seems I was wrong

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, freedomnow said:

UK have their own requirements vs other countries...

Example USA requires no employement letter, but UK does for METV.

I mistake the special visa, and I see this was a temporary COVID solution, and not a tourist visa!

Anyone need to have STV now, not open for TV yet?

10 minutes ago, Dan O said:

No this has been the requirement since they first introduced this visa type 

Blimey - This is a surprise to me.

Now having been away and in UK for 18 months because of Covid I remember what the attraction is... Its a mad hatters tea party. Which is nice most of the time, but not so much when it carries over on the administration and the rules for staying there.

34 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I mistake the special visa, and I see this was a temporary COVID solution, and not a tourist visa!

Anyone need to have STV now, not open for TV yet?

You can get SETV (2 month + 1 month extension total time) and if you mail them please let us know if METV is live again. You just have to know their is one stupid requirement only in UK it seems either job invite on return to UK or submission of letter from your business to them with registered biz number in letter...headache.

Realistically who can dick around and have a job waiting for them in 6-9 month's time on return to UK ?

One recent applicant for METV received SETV instead with no refund on price difference.

51 minutes ago, spambot said:

[email protected] -

Warmest regards,
The Visa Team

This was 1 hr ago. 

How long till your email reply ?

I mailed them 5 days ago on another detail..no reply as yet.

Can we please clarify, are we talking about the Special Tourist Visa or the Single Entry Tourist Visa here? I have been trying to get a definitive answer regarding the ordinary single entry tourist visa and typically get 2 responses; "Thailand is a popular  destination for backpackers so a booking for the full period of stay is  surely not needed" alteratively "Use Agoda to make several consecutive hotel bookings but ensure they can be cancelled as required". Why do they make everything so difficult? I guess one can try for a visa with an initial short term booking and extend if demanded (or will they just turn you down and keep the money!?).

28 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

How long till your email reply ?

I mailed them 5 days ago on another detail..no reply as yet.

email sent Thu, 28 Apr, 12:03 (1 day ago)

UK time - and received reply 2 hrs ago

7 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Can we please clarify, are we talking about the Special Tourist Visa or the Single Entry Tourist Visa here? I have been trying to get a definitive answer regarding the ordinary single entry tourist visa and typically get 2 responses; "Thailand is a popular  destination for backpackers so a booking for the full period of stay is  surely not needed" alteratively "Use Agoda to make several consecutive hotel bookings but ensure they can be cancelled as required". Why do they make everything so difficult? I guess one can try for a visa with an initial short term booking and extend if demanded (or will they just turn you down and keep the money!?).

Single Entry Tourist Visa - The problem with all admin that Thailand provide is that sometimes it does not reflect the real situation - But who knows what the real situation actually is - You are right you can book and cancel - this link below goes to Agoda and can book say the period 1st June 2022 - 1st Aug 2022 for length of STV and the terms are "Pay nothing until May 30, 2022 - Free cancellation before June 01, 2022"   - Hence book - Apply for STV and cancel - Link

The STV scheme is due to finish 30 Sept. It may or may not be continued. If it is not you may have difficulty getting any extensions after this date. I was in this situation last year but it worked out. Not sure you can get a definitive answer to this but take it into consideration.

For proof of accomodation I used the front page of my lease agreement. I do stay in the same place but there are plenty of templates out there. Just sayin.

6 hours ago, spambot said:

Single Entry Tourist Visa - The problem with all admin that Thailand provide is that sometimes it does not reflect the real situation - But who knows what the real situation actually is - You are right you can book and cancel - this link below goes to Agoda and can book say the period 1st June 2022 - 1st Aug 2022 for length of STV and the terms are "Pay nothing until May 30, 2022 - Free cancellation before June 01, 2022"   - Hence book - Apply for STV and cancel - Link

But why oh why does tourism now have to be so micro managed that one has to account for  one's whereabouts in advance for every day of the visit? And this is not a Covid thing but introduced with the progressive changes leading up to the move to online applications. Oh for the old private run 'consulates' that used to return your passport duly stamped by return of post. Now 4 weeks is  the recommended application period.

You do not need paid for accommodation for 60 day visa, only for 90 days. I recently applied (Thai embassy in London) for 90 days and was rejected as they would not accept staying at my partners house. 60 day visa issued having only 1 night quarantine hotel. I’ll extend by 30 days at local immigration office as I’ve done in the past.

1 hour ago, Kal I Sin its fun said:

You do not need paid for accommodation for 60 day visa, only for 90 days. I recently applied (Thai embassy in London) for 90 days and was rejected as they would not accept staying at my partners house. 60 day visa issued having only 1 night quarantine hotel. I’ll extend by 30 days at local immigration office as I’ve done in the past.

Thanks Kal I Sin its fun - Is it that immigration were rejecting 90 days since a single entry tourist visa can only last 60 days and the extension for extra 30 days is not part of the application and hence the online form would required 60 days, rather than rejected because the actual accommodation for a 60 or 90 day period?

13 hours ago, Greenwich Boy said:

The STV scheme is due to finish 30 Sept. It may or may not be continued. If it is not you may have difficulty getting any extensions after this date. I was in this situation last year but it worked out. Not sure you can get a definitive answer to this but take it into consideration.

For proof of accomodation I used the front page of my lease agreement. I do stay in the same place but there are plenty of templates out there. Just sayin.

There might be some confusion in the term STV - I am referring to Single Tourist Visa and I think you are referring to the Special Tourist Visa (STV) is available from 2 October 2020 to 30 September 2022, those who are permitted to stay in Thailand for not longer than until 30 September 2022 and wish to extend the length of stay with STV, must submit an application for visa extension before 30 September 2022.

I made a 90 day hotel (actually a cheap hostel) reservation with Agoda which was accepted as part of my STV application. I then cancelled the reservation after receiving my visa.

As I wasn't required to pay until a few days prior to the check in date no money ever left my bank account.

This was in November of last year, using the Thai embassy in London.

• Thanks 1

On 4/29/2022 at 9:07 AM, spambot said:

[email protected] -

Warmest regards,
The Visa Team

This was 1 hr ago. 

does your UK embassy and Oslo embassy have the same requirments ?

this is getting crazy  .. i cant count on thai imm helping sort this mess 

it seems that every country of origin has different rules

all the info on this forum does not have enough accurate info to understand .. country/rules/accurate entry req 

just one big pile  ...       

edit     maybe on the may 1 it will be better 

Edited by ifmu

12 hours ago, spambot said:

There might be some confusion in the term STV - I am referring to Single Tourist Visa and I think you are referring to the Special Tourist Visa (STV) is available from 2 October 2020 to 30 September 2022, those who are permitted to stay in Thailand for not longer than until 30 September 2022 and wish to extend the length of stay with STV, must submit an application for visa extension before 30 September 2022.

Looks like it. Normally the Single Entry is referred to as SETV or TR and the Special as STV. No big deal as long as you get what you want????

• Like 2