Over a hundred tourists evacuated from hotel overnight in Jomtien when smoke began filling hallways

webfact

S__25706522-696x392.jpg

By Goong Nang(GN)

Pattaya/Jomtien – Over a hundred domestic and foreign tourists have escaped without injuries from a hotel in Jomtien after smoke began filling corridors and rooms without, according to several guests, any warning from fire alarms last night (May 1st).

The Pattaya City Police were notified of the fire at 11:00 P.M. at a luxury hotel in Jomtien. Firefighters with fire engines and The Pattaya News arrived at the scene to find smoke coming out from the hotel.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Over a hundred tourists including kids, elderly, and disabled people had been evacuated from the hotel with the assistance of hotel staff.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/05/02/over-a-hundred-tourists-evacuated-from-hotel-overnight-in-jomtien-when-smoke-began-filling-hallways/

PattayaNews.jpg

-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-05-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

1 hour ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

If the photos in the report are correct, this the same building that went up in flames in 1997 killing nearly 100 (different hotel name back then) ?

Correct. I remember the report on the poor Korean woman on her honeymoon jumping to her death rather than being burnt alive. Awful. 

image.png.1a2b39ca6a9e7930ae19403cb2ddd910.png

The most surprising thing about this incident? The hotel is still open to this day. It has had a name change and was refurbished obviously after the fire but for those who fear ghosts there are few locations in Pattaya and Jomtien with a more tragic history. I’m not going to name them here for a few reasons but it’s easy to find. No trace of the fire exists to this day but it’s not a hotel I would want to stay at.

A very sad and tragic tale in which very little lessons were learned.

https://pattayaunplugged.com/the-story-behind-the-jomtien-hotel-fire-in-1997-that-killed-102-tourists-with-video/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, timendres said:

Confirming Thailand's incredible safety ranking...

How did this incident (sarcastically) confirm that?   Did you read the OP and the link? 

There was no fire, just smoke from a cooker hood, there were no injuries and everyone was safely evacuated with no chaos or disorder.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

20 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Jomtien Palm Beach....  for heavens sake, what is wrong with naming the place as long as no negative statements, like it is a death trap, are included!

It was named...in the photos.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

When I first started travelling in Asia, I always had a travel smoke detector my offshore company had provided me, and always checked if emergency exits was free. Become a bit lazy by the years I have to admit, but if I had kids, I would have done it every time. The safety have become alot better many places, but still there are many places that just waiting for disaster. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It was named, in the photos.

Yes, that is where I got it from, despite having to get up to take a close look at my TV screen and follow a link from the original post, where naming it was conspicuous by its absence. 

• Like 1

So the smoke detector alarms didn't go off, but they didn't have any of those alarms someone can pull either??

download.jpg

Edited by bbko

7 minutes ago, bbko said:

So the smoke detector alarms didn't go off, but they didn't have any of those alarms someone can pull either??

download.jpg

Often not used in kitchens as, you guessed it, they go off!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mahtin said:

image.png.1a2b39ca6a9e7930ae19403cb2ddd910.png

The most surprising thing about this incident? The hotel is still open to this day. It has had a name change and was refurbished obviously after the fire but for those who fear ghosts there are few locations in Pattaya and Jomtien with a more tragic history. I’m not going to name them here for a few reasons but it’s easy to find. No trace of the fire exists to this day but it’s not a hotel I would want to stay at.

A very sad and tragic tale in which very little lessons were learned.

https://pattayaunplugged.com/the-story-behind-the-jomtien-hotel-fire-in-1997-that-killed-102-tourists-with-video/

I remember this tragic incident, I was in Bangkok at the time fortunately. 

What I remember about it most was a dozen or so responders died on the way to the fire, as a result of a road accident.