Non O(based on Marriage) visa extension renewal question

Hi, I have a quick question.

I am planning to do my third annual extension of my Non O (marriage based) visa.

Am I correct in my understanding that the deadline for submitting the application is until the expiration date of the residence permit stamp?

I know that the application can be filed 45 days or 30 days earlier, but I would like to know the final deadline.

Thank you.

• Haha 1

The closest I came to the expiry date was 6 days! That came about because I was moving to a new province and I didn't want to apply in the old one. The IO was completely unfazed about it, but as Ubonjoe says best not leave it until the last day just in case there's something you've overlooked.

• Like 1

A visa you cannot renew, it it the 'extension of stay ' you have to renew. Waiting for the last day is not very clever. Why should you do this? You don't loose days in case you go early as your new extension always starts the day after your old one expires.

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Best not to wait until the last day though.

I always go about 4 business days before the expiration date and always check ahead for any Thai holidays.

If filing in Pattaya/Jomtien, the lady working the marriage desk is notorious for finding something "wrong" and will make you return with the "correction".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Some people have been lucky enough to submit the application in the week after expiry and had the application accepted, it added a ฿500 per day late fine to the cost, this is not a good idea as you may (should) get rejected 

Did a retirement extension 8 days after it expired a few years ago.  IO at CW  looked over all the paperwork, photos ect then said " 1900 baht for extension and 4,000 baht for 8 day overstay."

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tony125 said:

Did a retirement extension 8 days after it expired a few years ago.  IO at CW  looked over all the paperwork, photos ect then said " 1900 baht for extension and 4,000 baht for 8 day overstay."

As mentioned you got lucky, so a late application is always worth trying, but you should plan for a refusal and be thankful if you also get lucky 

• Like 1

I have no idea why people wait until the last minute. You dont lose days by doing the extension early. I did my extension last week, April 29 and received back today stamped and valid until the expiry date May 24th 2023. If people are trying to tie up the extension date and the 90 day report date then simply report online its easy.

1 hour ago, jimn said:

I have no idea why people wait until the last minute. You dont lose days by doing the extension early. I did my extension last week, April 29 and received back today stamped and valid until the expiry date May 24th 2023. If people are trying to tie up the extension date and the 90 day report date then simply report online its easy.

Exactly renew fast and earliest as possible.  

In Hua Hin it is advisable to do the new extension 45 to 30 days before expiry. After submitting the extension documents you are told to come back after 30 days to get the extension stamp, apparently so that the documents can get checked somewhere else (Bangkok, province main IO?). If you apply for the extension less than 30 days before expiry the IO will give you a 1 month extension stamp first (from the date you apply, not the expiry of the previous extension), and then a new stamp with the remaining 11 months.

Before you say that's not true, that's how it's handled in Hua Hin. Other provinces may follow a different procedure.

Edited by Thalueng

12 hours ago, Thalueng said:

If you apply for the extension less than 30 days before expiry the IO will give you a 1 month extension stamp first (from the date you apply, not the expiry of the previous extension), and then a new stamp with the remaining 11 months.

You get a under consideration stamp with a report back date on it. It is not a extension stamp.

Extensions of stay based upon marriage have to be approved at the division level of immigration. For Hua Hin that is Division 3 for the central region of the country that has its headquarters in Bangkok.

On 5/2/2022 at 3:59 PM, Moonlover said:

The closest I came to the expiry date was 6 days! That came about because I was moving to a new province and I didn't want to apply in the old one. The IO was completely unfazed about it, but as Ubonjoe says best not leave it until the last day just in case there's something you've overlooked.

And not even if you have overlooked something.

copy2.jpg.25261ce394c29f7c72038af585194fa1.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

And not even if you have overlooked something.

copy2.jpg.25261ce394c29f7c72038af585194fa1.jpg

There's always that of course. I was caught out by the 'new' request for a Kor Por 2 a few years back.

On 5/3/2022 at 8:21 AM, easydoor said:

A visa you cannot renew,

When you do a 90 day report, the question asked is 'date of expiry of visa?' So best not get too pedantic eh.

• 3 weeks later...