Thailand Pass to End for Thai Returnees First

snoop1130

On 5/5/2022 at 11:53 AM, RandiRona said:

Covid doesnt discriminates between Thai and a Falang unlike this guy. I am all for being a nationalistic but this kind of Xenophobia doesnt bode well for a country which runs on tourism.

Perhaps they cannot cope with the flood of foreigners they are expecting to arrive when the floodgates open and are testing their logistic and bureaucracy systems first. Not many Thais wanting to return just now?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Under the Thai constitution, discrimination against race/creed is illegal. 

There is nothing wrong with looking after your own citizens first, all countries should do this. 

btw, I think you meant to say 'foreigners', some farang like me are Thai. 

You are only if you show your passport , in a street with several other falangs , you are just another falang for them. Btw congratulations for making effort and getting the citizenship , its really tough to get one and I am sure you are saving a lot on travelling or otherwise ????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Guess I should have been a little clearer. No, if they were born in the US they are Americans. If they were born to at least 1 Thai parent here in Thailand they are Thai by birth and Thai Nationals even if they also have another nationality. Not sure how his Citizenship helps him through the Thai Pass issue. I would hope that someone who has gained citizenship has a Red Thai Passport, much like someone who gains US Citizenship has a US passport.

Thank you for your clarification of what you had meant to write.

Anyway, this discussion about what makes "a Thai" and the speculation whether the colour of a Thai national's passport depends on the modus by which the Thai nationality was acquired is out of place in this topic, which is about a news report stating that some Thai government official said that he proposed to the government to "end the Thailand Pass registration initially for Thai returnees before expanding the policy to foreign visitors".

The Thailand Pass application website makes a distinction only between "คนไทย Thai Nationals" and "Non-Thai Nationals".

image.png.9733c886f322c7f9a533ab9fe55a1246.png

If and when the government should decide to end the Thailand Pass earlier for "Thai returnees" it will presumably again make no difference whether these "Thai returnees" acquired their Thai nationality at birth, through naturalisation, or by any other means.

Edited by Puccini

On 5/6/2022 at 2:28 PM, jacko45k said:

Yes you do... and it should cover the period mentioned on the Re-Entry Permit. As an aside, my local Thai medical insurance claims to cover the  $10,000 Thailand pass requirement. 

Thank you!

On 5/9/2022 at 3:51 PM, mikebell said:

Thanks for this. IF nothing changes I intend to get a holiday insurance with Covid cover in UK.  Ubon Joe says this will satisfy Thai Immigration when I return.  I've looked at FinnAir.  I like the 12 hour flight; 2 gins + wine with my meal + cognac to swallow down a Valium & I'm done till breakfast time.  Saudi is two 6/6.5 hour flights which leaves me in a stupor wandering round Dubai.

I am with you on that, in the past I always tried to go direct, not so easy now.

We only booked with Emirates in 2020 because my wife wanted to go on a 380.

• Like 1