Thailand Pass to End for Thai Returnees First

snoop1130

19 hours ago, sandyf said:

How childish.

Britain had over 160K covid deaths, you will be telling us next that Thailand must catch up.

Every country has the right to deal with the issues as they see fit. The pandemic was badly managed in the UK and now there is a multitude of excuses for the self inflicted problems.

Are you thinking Thailand has managed it well? 

There is probably no country in the world that could say it was well handled!

They all had,and in Thailand's case,still have problems,as most of the World has gone past Entry/Departure restrictions,mask wearing, hand sanitizing and temp checks ,Thailand is still in the grip of Paranoia.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

Somebody posted on here that the T/Land Pass Insurance requirement did not apply to those living here full time already.

I would doubt very much if anyone made such a statement and guidance should be taken from the website rather wishful thinking.

I has been posted many times that the TP insurance requirement did not apply to those in the Thai social security, effectively an alternative insurance, big difference.

The medical care requirement applies to everyone, one way or another, and a bit arrogant for someone to think they should be exempt. 

On 5/5/2022 at 12:53 PM, RandiRona said:

Covid doesnt discriminates between Thai and a Falang unlike this guy. I am all for being a nationalistic but this kind of Xenophobia doesnt bode well for a country which runs on tourism.

Yeah - Against stupidity even the gods fight in vain ...

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

"Well managed " would be virtually impossible to define, but some countries have managed the situation much better than others and Thailand is a long way from being one of the worst.

Don't you think there is a clue in the fact that is the foreigners doing the most complaining, think they know better than the locals.

Thailand was one of the first countries in the world to take action in checking passengers at the airport from Jan 1st 2020, the first case being detected on the 8th Jan 2020. Both Bojo and Trump said it was an Asian problem, nothing for them to worry about.

Thailand has every right to keep what precautions they feel necessary in place for as long as they see fit. Of course we will never get over the problem that some nations think they have a god given right to interfere in another country's affairs.

I might add - and less we forget - that Thailand was atop of the leader board for some of the lowest cases/deaths for a year's time [2020/pre-vaccine era] while managing the crisis extremely well with well placed societal mitigation protocol and whatnot [and perhaps good fortune]. Even during the vaccine era - which could've been done better here - The suspected numbers weren't that great compared to much of the "civilised" world, which as it appeared were still bumbling around in political/scientific chaos. 

I will add, as things have leveled off [sort to speak], the unnecessary overconcern and seemingly cautionary paranoia is still in play among the Thai authorities, where it might benefit to relax and ease off a bit - as most of the world seems to be headed in this direction.......learning to live with it for better or worse. 

20 hours ago, mikebell said:

Somebody posted on here that the T/Land Pass Insurance requirement did not apply to those living here full time already. Having dealt with Thai Immigration for 18 years I am understandably cautious about having sufficient documentation.  This caution does not make me self-important only careful.

At the moment, all those entering need to show they have the insurance..... so it will affect you if you travel. I currently have domestic medical insurance and the company states it meets the requirements for the Thai Pass, but would need some certificate. 

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

At the moment, all those entering need to show they have the insurance..... so it will affect you if you travel. I currently have domestic medical insurance and the company states it meets the requirements for the Thai Pass, but would need some certificate. 

Thank you.  I am looking at a UK holiday insurance to return.

16 hours ago, Jimbo53 said:

The Thai Government don't have a clue,has your memory forgotten that for almost a full year at the start of the Pandemic the death figure stood around 57,whilst other countries were giving more accurate reports in the 1000's,and Thai politicians were spouting the virus would be gone soon because the weather was warmer in Thailand.

I remember quite well travelling around Thailand, including flying, during 2020 when other countries could not leave their home.  I also remember seeing the doctor face to face regularly throughout the pandemic.

What I don't remember is any Thai politician telling people to drink bleach.

And what I certainly fail to understand is why people would go somewhere of their own choosing and then complain about how things are done.

• Confused 3

19 hours ago, sandyf said:

I would doubt very much if anyone made such a statement and guidance should be taken from the website rather wishful thinking.

I am sometimes guilty of exaggeration if the story needs it but I don't tell lies.

15 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

I will add, as things have leveled off [sort to speak], the unnecessary overconcern and seemingly cautionary paranoia is still in play among the Thai authorities, where it might benefit to relax and ease off a bit - as most of the world seems to be headed in this direction.......learning to live with it for better or worse. 

You have to bear in mind that Thailand is an emerging third world country and as such the health care system in not so extensive as more advanced economies. The system is propped up by private hospitals over which the government has little control.

They are right to be cautious and try and keep numbers within a manageable level. My niece is a free lance doctor going to various hospitals and she sees hundreds of covid patients in a day, signs off on their insurance and sends them home to isolate.

This is far from over and would be reckless for the government to think otherwise. I for one would not want to see things go here the same way as the UK where about  10% of the population are on hospital waiting lists for routine treatment.

3 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I am sometimes guilty of exaggeration if the story needs it but I don't tell lies.

I certainly didn't imply that and apologise if that is how it  looked.

It wouldn't be out of the question for the post you saw to be possibly ambiguous or misinterpreted, I have seen many like that.

I went to the UK last Aug and returned early Oct on re-entry permit, used free insurance from the airline. I would advise against traveling close to the end of the month to avoid any potential changes and the website is current. Going again on Tuesday.

On 5/7/2022 at 10:16 AM, mikebell said:

Somebody posted on here that the T/Land Pass Insurance requirement did not apply to those living here full time already. Having dealt with Thai Immigration for 18 years I am understandably cautious about having sufficient documentation.  This caution does not make me self-important only careful.

Why would you offer your grumpy character assessment of someone seeking help on this site?  Is it genetic?

There is no checkbox when you fill in the forms of the Thailand pass which says "I live here, don't need insurance".

If you don't fill in the insurance details you can't press "Submit".

21 hours ago, sandyf said:

I certainly didn't imply that and apologise if that is how it  looked.

It wouldn't be out of the question for the post you saw to be possibly ambiguous or misinterpreted, I have seen many like that.

I went to the UK last Aug and returned early Oct on re-entry permit, used free insurance from the airline. I would advise against traveling close to the end of the month to avoid any potential changes and the website is current. Going again on Tuesday.

Thank you for your advice/apology.  I have searched for the (now) erroneous post but suspect it wasn't under this thread. What airline are you using?  BA have not resurrected their service to BKK.  Which airline offered free insurance?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mikebell said:

Thank you for your advice/apology.  I have searched for the (now) erroneous post but suspect it wasn't under this thread. What airline are you using?  BA have not resurrected their service to BKK.  Which airline offered free insurance?

It was Emirates but it would appear the offer came to an end at the end of March. The other thing you have to bear in mind any temporary insurance has to be effective on entry to Thailand. I was fortunate that I had 2 ticket vouchers from 2020 and I changed one to LHR-BKK-LHR, that gave me an outbound trip from the UK last Oct with insurance for my time in Thailand, will be using the return leg tomorrow. I will come back on the return leg of another ticket in June. As that was outbound from BKK the insurance was only valid for the time in the UK.

The main point was that when Emirates announced the offer the self proclaimed gurus on this forum claimed it didn't meet the requirements and wouldn't be accepted. I just followed the guidance on the website and there wasn't a problem.

On 5/5/2022 at 5:53 PM, RandiRona said:

Covid doesnt discriminates between Thai and a Falang unlike this guy. I am all for being a nationalistic but this kind of Xenophobia doesnt bode well for a country which runs on tourism.

Under the Thai constitution, discrimination against race/creed is illegal. 

There is nothing wrong with looking after your own citizens first, all countries should do this. 

btw, I think you meant to say 'foreigners', some farang like me are Thai. 

29 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Under the Thai constitution, discrimination against race/creed is illegal. 

There is nothing wrong with looking after your own citizens first, all countries should do this. 

btw, I think you meant to say 'foreigners', some farang like me are Thai. 

No your not Thai, your a Thai Citizen by applying and being granted citizenship but your not a Thai definitely not by birth.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

It was Emirates but it would appear the offer came to an end at the end of March. The other thing you have to bear in mind any temporary insurance has to be effective on entry to Thailand. I was fortunate that I had 2 ticket vouchers from 2020 and I changed one to LHR-BKK-LHR, that gave me an outbound trip from the UK last Oct with insurance for my time in Thailand, will be using the return leg tomorrow. I will come back on the return leg of another ticket in June. As that was outbound from BKK the insurance was only valid for the time in the UK.

The main point was that when Emirates announced the offer the self proclaimed gurus on this forum claimed it didn't meet the requirements and wouldn't be accepted. I just followed the guidance on the website and there wasn't a problem.

Thanks for this. IF nothing changes I intend to get a holiday insurance with Covid cover in UK.  Ubon Joe says this will satisfy Thai Immigration when I return.  I've looked at FinnAir.  I like the 12 hour flight; 2 gins + wine with my meal + cognac to swallow down a Valium & I'm done till breakfast time.  Saudi is two 6/6.5 hour flights which leaves me in a stupor wandering round Dubai.

59 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

No your not Thai

Yes I am. What do you think 'naturization' means? 

Are Arnold Swaznegger, Madelenie Albright, Jim Carrey, Neil Young Americans? 

Are TS Elliot British, Freddie Mercury, Prince Philip British? ? 

• Haha 2

You would be called "American-Thai" if you were born as a USA citizen then naturalized as a Thai citizen.  My wife is "Japanese-American".  Born Japanese then naturalized as USA citizen.

Edited by mojaco
  • Thanks 1

Nothing to do with Xenophobia or racism just an administration and ordering exercise- logical to start with locals first purely in linguistic and administration terms. Anybody who thinks this is Xenophobia either needs to learn what the word  means and or stop  being so oversensitive. It's unbelievable  how some people seek offence where there is none. If somebody's  ego is so easily  bruised they really should leave Thailand and return to their paradise homeland.

1 hour ago, mojaco said:

You would be called "American-Thai" if you were born as a USA citizen then naturalized as a Thai citizen.  My wife is "Japanese-American".  Born Japanese then naturalized as USA citizen.

Naked it. He is whatever his birth nationality is plus being a Thai Citizen now. Unless he was born to a Thai parent or born in the country he is not a Thai by birth.  I was born in Thailand to two American parents who were here at the time for Military deployment to the embassy, yet I am 100% American, and not Thai in anyway.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Naked it. He is whatever his birth nationality is plus being a Thai Citizen now. Unless he was born to a Thai parent or born in the country he is not a Thai by birth.  I was born in Thailand to two American parents who were here at the time for Military deployment to the embassy, yet I am 100% American, and not Thai in anyway.

Do I understand correctly that you are saying that all children born "in the country" are Thai nationals by birth even if neither of their parents were a Thai national at the time of their birth?

51 minutes ago, Puccini said:

Do I understand correctly that you are saying that all children born "in the country" are Thai nationals by birth even if neither of their parents were a Thai national at the time of their birth?

Guess I should have been a little clearer. No, if they were born in the US they are Americans. If they were born to at least 1 Thai parent here in Thailand they are Thai by birth and Thai Nationals even if they also have another nationality. Not sure how his Citizenship helps him through the Thai Pass issue. I would hope that someone who has gained citizenship has a Red Thai Passport, much like someone who gains US Citizenship has a US passport.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

They could start giving away 1000 baht to every tourist that arrives and it will not help. 

Inflation running at record rates, a world recession looming.

Russian war, China lockdown. 

These Thai officials are living in la la land.

Me and i suspect 100's of thousands of others would of already been there spending if they would of opened. Now?  

I am hunkering down. 

An economic crisis is looming, or at least has a good foot hold. I will wait and see how it plays out.

Edited by garyk
  • Like 2